Head of Office and UNESCO Representative to Uzbekistan
Post Number : 4UZPAX0001RP
Grade : P-5
Parent Sector : Priority Africa and External Relations Sector (PAX)
Duty Station: Tashkent
Job Family: Field Operations Coordination
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 13-SEP-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, ProfessionalismOVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Director-General and the direct supervision of the Assistant Director-General for Priority Africa and External Relations (ADG/PAX), and in close consultation with the Assistant Directors-General (ADGs) of Programme Sectors, the incumbent will manage the multidisciplinary programme of the Office and provide intellectual, strategic and operational leadership in planning and implementing activities and responding to the priority needs of the Republic of Uzbekistan.
The incumbent works within the framework of UNESCO's Medium-Term Strategies (C/4), Approved Programmes and Budgets (C/5), as well as in the framework of international agreed development agendas such as Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development.
The core result, for which the incumbent is responsible, is the positioning of UNESCO as a trusted development partner in Uzbekistan. Other results are the establishment and implementation of the multidisciplinary programme of the Office in close cooperation with the wider UN System; the effective and efficient management of the Office's operations, resources, premises and assets, in line within the Organization's policies and procedures and the establishment and implementation of robust external relations and partnerships.
Moreover, the incumbent will participate, or ensure participation of the Office, in the activities of the United Nations Country Team (UNCT) in Uzbekistan.COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial) Communication (C) Accountability (C) Innovation (C) Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C) Planning and organizing (C) Results focus (C) Teamwork (C) Professionalism (C) Building partnerships (M) Driving and managing change (M) Leading and empowering others (M) Making quality decisions (M) Managing performance (M) Strategic thinking (M) - For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent degree) in a discipline related to UNESCO's mandate, Public or Business Administration or International Relations.
- At least ten (10) years of progressive professional experience at the appropriate management level within the United Nations system or within other international or national institutions, including a wide experience in development issues related to UNESCO’s areas of competence, in association with national and international organizations.
- Experience in project design, implementation and management, as well as advocacy, resources and partnership mobilization.
- Commitment to the Organization’s mandate, vision, strategic direction and priorities.
- Institutional leadership capacity, high sense of objectivity and professional integrity, diplomacy, tact and political astuteness.
- Proven skills in administration and the management of financial and human resources.
- Demonstrated strategic planning and management abilities, including capacity to administer extensive programmes, financial resources and exercise appropriate supervision and control.
- Organizational skills, including in establishing plans and priorities, and in implementing them effectively, as well as in devising implementation plans.
- Ability to interact with a wide range of high-level partners, as well as demonstrated partnership development and fundraising experience.
- Capacity to provide intellectual leadership to guide staff, as well as ability to build trust, manage, lead and motivate a large and diversified body of staff in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity, exercise supervision and control, as well as ensure continuous training and development of staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively, both orally and in writing, in front of a broad range of constituents, as well as the news media.
- Excellent knowledge and drafting skills in English and good working knowledge of French.
- Courses/degree in a management-related field.
- Experience in conducting policy dialogue at government and non-government levels or public and private sectors
- Broad general culture and sound analytic capacities.
- Proven leadership and demonstrated managerial skills combined with flexibility.
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Ability to identify key strategic issues, objectives, opportunities and risks.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to take initiative and maintain effective working relationships with partners of different nationalities and cultural backgrounds.
- Good knowledge of the United Nations system.
- Knowledge of other official UNESCO languages (Arabic, Chinese, Russian or Spanish).
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Benefits.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment
UNESCO is committed to promoting geographical distribution (last update) and gender equality within its Secretariat. Therefore, women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply, as well as nationals from non- and under-represented Member States. Persons with disabilities are also encouraged to apply. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.