Program Manager, Libya Project, E7 - Subject to funding
The Hague (Netherlands)
The International Commission on Missing Persons (ICMP) is a treaty-based international organization with Headquarters in The Hague, the Netherlands. Its mandate is to secure the cooperation of governments and others in locating and identifying missing persons. As the only international organization tasked exclusively to work on the issue of missing persons, ICMP maintains field programs throughout the world. To learn more about ICMP click here.
ICMP is implementing a multi-year project in Libya to assist efforts to account for persons missing in Libya as a result of armed conflict and violations of human rights. Under this project, ICMP will work with government authorities and other institutions, civil society organizations and families of the missing, to facilitate the use of advanced forensic techniques, to build a foundation for rule-of-law institutions that successfully and impartially investigate missing persons cases, and to enable families and other civil society actors to engage in the process.
This position will be based in Den Haag (Netherlands) and will involve frequent travel to Tunisia or other international locations for official reasons. The successful candidate will be the senior ICMP representative for the Libya Program. They will demonstrate outstanding communication, management and diplomatic skills, and will report directly to the Director-General. They will manage and develop ICMP projects in Libya, supervise expatriate and locally recruited staff, and ensure comprehensive and accurate reporting.
This is a key position in a program that will help the authorities in Libya to address one of the major strategic challenges facing the country – the hundreds of thousands of missing persons cases from the Gaddafi era, and from the armed conflict which led to Gaddafi’s fall, and cases from the ensuing conflict as well as in the context of migration. Resolving this issue is widely viewed as a crucial element in the country’s path towards a sustainable peace.
The Program Manager will ensure a smooth implementation of the overall Program, day-to-day implementation of the ICMP’s projects/activities in Libya and the effective implementation of ICMP HQ initiatives, relationships with relevant governmental institutions are initiated and maintained to work together and cooperate with ICMP and a global view of the work being done in Libya by various stakeholders to resolve the missing persons issue is developed.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Director-General, the Program Manager duties and responsibilities will include, but will not necessarily be limited to, the following:
- Contribute to identifying and addressing key issues in resolving the challenge of hundreds of thousands of missing persons in Libya
- Develop and maintain a global view of the work being done in Libya by various stakeholders to resolve the missing persons issue
- Coordinate, develop and manage the Libya program in accordance with annual work plan
- Implement and further develop ICMP’s program in line with agreed strategies and organizational priorities
- Guide the implementation and development of ICMP projects in Libya, allocate resources and ensure outcomes as set forth in projects descriptions
- Engage in continuous policy dialogues with Libyan authorities, regional government representatives, and the international community, including international and other organizations, emphasizing the human rights and rule-of-law dimensions of the missing persons issue
- Ensure that ICMP operates within the terms and conditions of its legal agreement with the Libyan Government
- Ensure that all Program activities are sensitive and responsive to the political, social and economic environment
- Facilitate, as appropriate, the participation of Libyan authorities as well as civil society, technical experts or other national and international partners and stakeholders in the Program activities
Staff Management and Supervision
- Maintain appropriate and effective staff recruitment across the ICMP Program
- Lead and manage ICMP Libya Program staff, providing guidance on aims, direction and timing of work, building cooperative relationships internally and externally
- Implement and maintain arrangements to ensure efficient communication between the Libya Program and headquarters, as well as with external partners
- Ensure quality, relevance and regularity of Program reports
Fundraising and Liaison with the Donor Community
- Work on continuous local and international fundraising initiatives, including the drafting of project proposals, concept papers and budget outlines
- Establish and develop working relationships with key donors and actively develop local funding sources
- Implement and maintain arrangements to ensure efficient communication between the Libya Program and external partners
Media EngagementsIn coordination with headquarters, develop and manage a media strategy, and develop a sound relationship with all sections of the media and ensure that any broadcast or published material accurately reflects the views, priorities, and values of ICMP
- Ensure program objectives and requests for expenditure align with the objectives of the donor grants and ensure program resources are used for the purposes they were intended for in the donor grants awarded to the ICMP that cover their respective areas of responsibility
- Authorize any request for expenditure for the Libya program and ensure that any request for expenditure is aligned with the objectives of the program and represents an effective use of resources
- Ensure program compliance with the financial and administrative rules, regulations, policies and procedures of the ICMP
- Ensure that the control of expenditure and the disbursement of resources is in accordance with established ICMP procedure and provide financial reports as required by ICMP and its donors
- When needed, lead the Libya Program Crisis Management Team, accountable for security within the program, and oversee security management within the program in accordance with ICMP plans, policies and procedures
- In coordination with the Senior Program Coordinator (Libya Program) and Director of Corporate Services (HQ), conduct security threat and risk assessments and coordinate security arrangements for staff travelling in country