Senior Fishery Officer (Secretary SWIOFC)
1H051H05 IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments. _____________________________________________________________________________________
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments.
- Plans, manages, or leads highly specialized or multi-disciplinary teams, leads, coordinates, and/or participates in Regional committees, project teams, and working groups, and/or provides technical leadership/secretariat services on technical networks and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies;
- Analyses global and country specific requirements and relevant technical issues to provide critical input into the FAO's Strategic Objectives, Programme of Work, work plans and the supporting budgets and/or resourcing strategies;
- Implements and monitors programmes of work involving the development of the approach, evidence based strategies, and related tools, methodologies and the supporting system/database, monitoring and reporting frameworks;
- Conducts, designs and oversees research and analysis activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovation, technical reports, publications and/or on-going programme development as well as the provision of technical and/or policy advisory services;
- Provides technical and policy advice to Members and technical support to Decentralized Offices in the development and implementation of their programmes;
- Leads and/or collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality / effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning, on-line tools;
- Represents the Organization at international meetings and conferences, identifies and implements strategic partnerships, advocates best practices and increased policy dialogue and develops and negotiates effective working relationships/consensus and agreements with international and national stakeholders;
- Act as Secretary of designed FAO regional fishery bodies;
- Leads and/or participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
- Acts Secretary of the South West Indian Ocean Fisheries Commission (SWIOFC), based in Maputo, Mozambique;
- Organizes and facilitates sessions of SWIOFC and its subsidiary bodies;
- Ensures the implementation of the decisions and recommendations of this body, including the carrying out of its programme of work and publications;
- Liaises with the appropriate government officials, fishery institutions and international governmental and non-governmental organizations concerned with fisheries through visits and correspondence;
- Provides advice to national fisheries institutions on request, on fisheries policy, development and management;
- Collaborates with and supports the development of the capacity of regional/sub-regional fisheries management organisations, regional economic groupings, and regional partners of the SWIOFC including the Indian Ocean Commission to leverage FAO’s inputs and visibility;
- Promotes sustainable fish production and utilisation for food and livelihoods through initiation and formulation of projects;
- Encourages and monitors the implementation of the FAO Code of Conduct for responsible fisheries and related fisheries instruments.
- Advanced university degree in fisheries science, natural resource management or related fields;
- Ten years of relevant experience in fisheries management trade, fishery products safety and quality, field of statistics and data management of fisheries, or related fields;
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
- Results Focus
- Leading, Engaging and Empowering
- Partnering and Advocating
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Strategic Thinking
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is essential;
- Extent and relevance of experience in fisheries development, management and policy, preferably in Southern Africa;
- Extent and relevance of experience leading teams, working within a multi-disciplinary team, supporting others, and fostering a positive team environment;
- Extent and relevance of experience in working with Regional Fisheries Bodies is an asset;
- Extent and relevance of experience in planning and implementation of programmes and projects related to fisheries development, management, and policy;
- Demonstrated ability to mobilize resources;
- Extent and relevance of experience in organizing international meetings, seminars and training courses;
- Working knowledge of French is considered a strong asset.