Civic and Voter Awareness Assistant
Honiara (Solomon Islands)
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of UNDP SECSIP Chief Technical Adviser or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UNV Civic and Voter Awareness Assistant will:
1. In compliance with UNDP Rules, Regulations and policies, the incumbent will be part of SECSIP Graduate Programme. For this assignment, the incumbent will be co-located at the Solomon Islands Electoral Office (SIEO). The incumbent general duties and responsibilities will include the following:
- Assist in the identification of awareness needs, planning and development of contents related to the mandate of the Solomon Islands Electoral Commission (SIEC) and its Electoral Office
- Identify and plan awareness raising activities to enhance the general knowledge of the role of the SIEC and SIEO;
- Liaise and coordinate with other stakeholders as guided by the Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) and SIEO Communications and Awareness Senior Officer;
- Provide a monthly report on the activities carried out in support of the mandates of SIEC and SIEO and UNDP SECSIP project implementation;
2. Specific tasks in support of the SIEO expected to be performed under this assignment include:
- Support SIEO Communication and Awareness Team coordination of civic and voter education outreach programs; contribute to the elaboration of awareness and civic engagement activity plans and the production of related documentation;
- Assist in development of key messages, provision of contents including texts, scripts and suggestions for illustrations, video and audio productions for civic and voter education and training materials. This can include manuals, guides, brochures, leaflets, posters, videos, radio spots
- Assist in procurement, production and dissemination of civic and voter awareness materials
- Support the SIEO communication and awareness team with the preparation and effective implementation of consultations, training sessions, workshops in accordance with the approved plans. This may include facilitation of training sessions for civic and voter education teams, conduct training workshops for election officials and other stakeholders;
- Assist in the development and implementation of monitoring and evaluation tools to measure impact and progress as a result of the activities implemented.
- Assist in the implementation of SIEO strategies and activities related to communication and awareness pertaining to voter registration, national general election, provincial assembly elections and by-elections.
- Perform other tasks as requested by UNDP SECSIP in consultation with Solomon Islands Electoral Office Communication and Awareness Senior Officer
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant area, e.g. political science, journalism, Communication and sociology or related area
- Experience acquired after finalization of university studies in public service, media or education sectors will be considered an asset.
- Experience working in the UN or other international development organization will be considered an asset.
- Good oral and written skills for drafting and reporting; ability to support document production and editing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including at grassroot level with community members, religious and youth organizations, and with public authorities; familiarity with tools and communication approaches for development.
- Ability to work and adapt professionally in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel.
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet.
- Self-motivated; ability to work with tight deadlines.
- Sound security awareness.
- Have affinity with or interest in democratic governance, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent