Senior Policy, Advocacy and Research Officer
SIHA is seeking a self-motivated, committed and passionate individual with interest and experience in the Horn of Africa sub region, and strong awareness of and commitment to women’s human rights and gender equality. The Senior Policy, Advocacy and Research Officer will be working collaboratively across the Horn of Africa based at the SIHA regional office with frequent travel to various parts of the region.
Employer: Strategic Initiative for women in the Horn of Africa
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Duration: An annual full-time contract and Initial three months’ probation
Reporting to: Regional Director/SIHA Programme Manager
SIHA is seeking a senior policy, advocacy and research officer, She or He would play a key role in undertaking high quality research and contributing to advocacy and knowledge building across SIHA. She or he will work to coordinate research partnerships and research projects, developing & implementing advocacy strategies, advising the SIHA Regional Director and programme team and other members of SIHA team and preparing policy submissions & initiatives. This is done in the context of developing and promoting SIHA and it is strategic agenda as a strong voice for the feminist and women rights movement in the GHoA.
· Develop a research policy, and advocacy agenda in line with the strategic and operational plan and work with relevant colleagues across the Network to achieve SIHA’s strategic objectives
· Review SIHA research papers, reports, journals and improve the quality of SIHA publications
· Support SIHA to improve it is quantitative data gathering methods and improve staff capacity of documentation and information gathering
· Measure the impact and review progress with advocacy strategies and plans and ensure ongoing development of these in response to changes in the external environment
· Review and support SIHA, research and advocacy and lead and contribute to developing and coordinating advocacy content and information
· Coordinate with SIHA communication officer and support SIHA team in fulfilling their role as advocates by developing tools to help the teams to resonate to issues occurring in their countries in a systematic and structural way
· Represent SIHA on relevant advocacy and gender equality working groups and forums at the regional and international levels as required
· Identify and plan advocacy activities aimed at governments and government-related bodies, at the national, regional and international levels
· Prepare position papers, reports and submissions as relevant, for implementation of SIHA Policy, research and advocacy strategy.
· Work closely with the Communications Officer to achieve SIHA policy, research and advocacy priorities through public communications
· Work with the Communications Officer to raise SIHA profile and positioning opportunities through empirical research
· Identify and respond to new and emerging opportunities to influence law and policy
· Prepare policy papers, briefings and position papers to inform SIHA members and partners to be shared to SIHA platforms as well
· Develop, participate in and coordinate research projects where relevant
· Support the SIHA communication team to develop communication strategies and translate the concerns of women and girls across the region into specific campaigns, policy and advocacy materials.
· Develop and maintain strong working relationships with key regional and international organizations.
· Participate in relevant network and advocacy coalitions on behalf of SIHA
· Develop and represent SIHA at meetings and conferences as requested
· Relevant qualifications and experience (for example, experience in politics, legal rights, public policy ) at least 4 years’ experience in civil society advocacy.
· Good understanding of the Women movements and social justice and human rights movements dynamics
· Knowledge and experience of political processes and government policy.
· High-level written and verbal communication skills relevant to the role such as experience writing policy documents, government submissions and media communications.
· Demonstrated advocacy, relationship-building and stakeholder engagement skills
· Well-developed analytical skills and capacity to understand and apply evidence-based research
· Ability to work autonomously and to collaborate in a diverse team environment
· High level organisational and administrative skills and ability to priorities workload, to work under pressure and meet deadlines
· Demonstrated computer literacy skills and proficiency using the Microsoft Office and other relevant software
· An experience in human rights gender equality, civil society and activism in closed societies and societies in transitions.
· Understanding of the role and potentials of national, /feminist organizations that are led by African women.
· Experience working in the non-profit sector/ local civil society
· Experience in planning and executing advocacy strategies
· Abel to strategically to utlizing social media platforms
Interested Candidates are asked to provide their current CV and Cover Letter, expressing her/his motivation in applying and relevant experience/expertise, to SIHA’s Human Resources Department firstname.lastname@example.org by 23rd September 2021 Please enter “Application Materials: SIHA Senior Policy, Advocacy and Research Officer” in the subject line. SIHA may, because of the immediate need of the recruitment, contact shortlisted candidates before 23rd September 2021. Due to the anticipated volume of applications, please note that SIHA will contact only shortlisted candidates. We thank you for your interest in joining SIHA.
SIHA is a feminist, movement-building organization that works to promote the rights of women and girls across the Horn of Africa and beyond. Through all of its activities, SIHA is committed to promoting gender equality, justice and respecting human diversity.
It is therefore expected that the values of SIHA will be considered and upheld during the term of employment. The values SIHA works to uphold include a woman's right to self-determination over her life and body; a respect for religious diversity; a respect for gender diversity, including the rights of the LGBTQ community; respect for religion and beliefs regardless of your personal belief and a commitment to ending discrimination in all its forms.
We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect.
The Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa (SIHA) is a coalition of civil society organizations from Sudan, South, Uganda, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Somalia and Somaliland. SIHA was founded in 1995 by a collection of women's groups with the view of strengthening the capacities of women organizations in the Horn of Africa countries. SIHA advocates for social change and gender equality for men and women in the Horn region and works specifically on: gender equality, women rights activism, women economic empowerment, eliminating violence against women and girls, promoting human rights, peace building and conflict transformation, enhancing women’s leadership and political