National expert to develop an operational plan for the ecotourism initiatives in the upper Vjosa River stream.
The Government of Norway has contributed to the Albania SDG Acceleration Fund for the implementation of activities in accordance with the Government of Albania and United Nations Programme of Cooperation for Sustainable Development (PoCSD) 2017-2021 - as indicated in the signed Government of Albania – United Nations Joint Work Plans - and in accordance with Norway’s development priorities for Albania:
- Improved capacity building, good governance and democratic development.
- Strengthened rule of law and human rights.
- Strengthened economic development.
In the frame of the PoCSD Outcome 4 Environment and Climate Change, The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is working under output 4.2, the initiative related to management of natural resources supporting the green economy for a sustainable development of Vjosa Valley – Zagori.
Ecotourism and community-based tourism have been identified as one of the potential ways to foster socio-economic development and contribute towards sustainable cultural and natural resource management.
Permet and Kelcyra have exceptional tourism / cultural / natural resources, and few negative impacts. Still there are not good quality Community Based Tourism and ecotourism experiences across Permet and Kelcyra to attract high value markets, especially independent travellers, interested in culture and nature. To satisfy these tourists and to benefit from word-of-mouth promotion, tourism stakeholders need to respond better to the needs of FIT’s (Fully Independent Tourist).
Proactive support for local culture and serious, coordinated environmental management will inevitably increase the success of ecotourism.
Through the Decision nr 10 dated 28.12.2020, the Vjosa Valley was declared a Nature Reserve Protected Area (NR-PA). This includes the whole basin, from the source up to the delta. There is currently no zoning, or management plan for the area.
Also, there are various unregulated eco-like initiatives in the upper stream area, and a study/operational plan is missing, on the potential areas in the upper Vjosa for eco-tourism initiatives such as rafting, hiking etc. The operational plan would be beneficial as an orientation document for allowing tourism development without exploiting the environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
There are various unregulated eco-like initiatives in the upper stream area of Vjosa River in Albania, and a study/operational plan is missing, on the potential areas for eco-tourism initiatives such as rafting, hiking etc. The operational plan would be beneficial as an orientation document for allowing for tourism development without exploiting the environment.
This report will be delivered to the Ministry of Tourism and Environment and the National Agency of Protected Areas (NAPA) and will be used as a guiding document when NAPA will develop the management plan of the protected area.
The report may include:
- An integrated Ecotourism Destination Profile for the upper Vjosa Basin.
- An Ecotourism Development Plan on how to tailor-make eco-friendly, responsibility and sustainability of tourism in the specific context of Vjosa, together with a set of planning measures to implement this plan.
- An array of Responsible and Sustainable Tourism products, potential itineraries and packages for domestic and international tourism.
- A calendarized program of specific actions to develop communication and promotional material for both the above-mentioned destination and products/itineraries/packages; engage tour operators to test and market the said products/itineraries/packages; establish/develop businesses and partnerships for the operation of the very products/itineraries/packages.
• Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
• Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP.
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
• Treats all people fairly without favouritism.
• Communication - Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
• Planning & Organizing – Develops clear goals in line with agreed strategies, identifies priorities, foresees risks and makes allowances accordingly.
• Organizational Awareness - Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
• Teamwork - Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
• Accountability – Takes ownership of all responsibilities and delivers outputs in accordance with agreed time, cost and quality standards.
• Thorough understanding of disability issues, human rights, social inclusion and social services
• Excellent inter-personal and teamwork skills, networking attitude.
• Capacity to deliver as per deadlines.
• Ability to pick up new terminology and concepts easily.
Deliverables are as follows:
The following deliverables are requested:
- 50%- An integrated Ecotourism Destination Profile for the upper Vjosa Basin.
- 50%- An Ecotourism Development Plan together with a calendarized program of specific actions
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in natural resources management, tourism development, economy, finance or related field.
- 7 years of experience in protected areas management, eco-tourism, sustainable tourism management or related field with special attention to operational planning for eco-tourism initiatives.
- Demonstrable experience in capacity building of national stakeholders and institutions related to the above.
- Practical experience in similar projects is preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership ability and technical ability to communicate complex ideas verbally and in writing.
- English and Albanian language communication, reporting and writing skills
Technical Criteria - 70% of total evaluation – max points: 70
Criteria A: Relevant work experience – max 30 points
Criteria B: Demonstrable experience in capacity building of national stakeholders and institutions related to the assignment– max 20 points
Criteria C: Relevant Education Background - max 20 points
Financial Criteria - 30% of total evaluation – max 30 points
Interested applicants are advised to carefully study all sections of this ToRs and ensure that they meet the general requirements as well as specific qualifications described. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please make sure you have provided all requested materials.
The application should contain:
- Cover letter explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for the advertised position. Please paste the letter into the "Resume and Motivation" section of the electronic application.
- Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability & Detailed Financial Proposal - please fill in the attached form. Download Here (kindly use Firefox browser)
- Filled P11 form including past experience in similar projects and contact details of referees, please upload the P11 instead of your CV. Download Here (kindly use Firefox browser)
- Financial Proposal in ALL*- Specify a Total Lump Sum in Albanian Lek for the tasks specified in this announcement. The attached template may be used - Download Here (kindly use Firefox browser) Please note that the financial proposal is all-inclusive and shall consider various expenses incurred by the consultant during the contract period (e.g. fee and any other relevant expenses related to the performance of services).
- Copy of Diplomas and copy of Passport.
- Technical proposal – specifying the methodology which the consultant will employ to conduct this assignment.
*Kindly note that Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability and Financial Proposal are two separate documents and should be both part of your application.
How to Submit the Application:
To submit your application online, please follow the steps below:
- Download and complete the UN Personal History Form (P11) for Service Contracts (SCs) and Individual Contracts (ICs); In the P11 Form make sure to include Email Addresses of the Persons who are willing to provide References on your past experience in working with them.
- Merge your UN Personal History Form (P11) for Service Contracts (SCs) and Individual Contracts (ICs), Financial Proposal Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability and cover letter into a single file. The system does not allow for more than one attachment to be uploaded;
- Click on the Job Title (job vacancy announcement);
- Click “Apply Now” button, fill in necessary information on the first page, and then click “Submit Application;”
- Upload your application/single file as indicated above with the merged documents (underlined above);
- You will receive an automatic response to your email confirming receipt of your application by the system.
Due to large number of applications we receive, we are able to inform only the successful candidates about the outcome or status of the selection process.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.