Project Assistant (GDE)
Phnom Penh (Cambodia)
This position is under National Personnel Services Agreement modality. Please refer to the link for detail of NPSA policy:
The demand for energy continues to rise in Cambodia as it requires new sources to fuel sustained levels of robust economic growth. In response, the Royal Government of Cambodia is seeking ways to supply this demand through clean, sustainable, reliable, and affordable sources. UNDP Cambodia has been assisting the RGC and expanding its work on sustainable energy, by implementing numerous projects and producing valuable research on renewable energy (with a focus on solar), energy access and energy efficiency. In promoting sustainable energy, UNDP Cambodia has been working closely with relevant government agencies, namely Ministry of Economy and Finance (MEF), Ministry of Mines and Energy (MME), Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction (MLMUPC), Ministry of Environment (MOE), National Council for Sustainable Development (NCSD), and Electricity Authority of Cambodia (EAC).
A Memorandum of Understand (MOU) was signed between MME and UNDP on 11 May 2021 to support the implementation of green growth policies and strategies, by embracing new innovations and clean energy technologies in the areas of renewable energy, energy efficiency and energy access, to achieve Goal 7 of the Cambodia Sustainable Development Goals (CSDGs). To better support MME in the implementation of this MOU, UNDP is looking to have a Project Assistant to work closely with the General Department of Energy (GDE), being based at MME.
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of Work
The Project Assistant is expected to work closely with the GDE at MME and report to the Technical Advisor on Energy. The key functions are as follows:
1. Support to implement and manage activities that are part of the MOU:
- Assist the GDE team to coordinate and organize meetings, workshops with other government agencies and development partners, and travels as needed for the implementation of MOU activities;
- Make logistical arrangements for the missions of the GDE team, consultants and any other relevant actors to the project sites;
- Participate in workshops, meetings, field missions to the project sites as and when needed;
- Prepare correspondences relating to the implementation of activities of the MOU;
- Take all necessary steps for contractual procedures in the procurement of goods and services as well as Individual Contracts in line with rules and regulations of UNDP in the implementation of MOU activities;
- Overall, provide administrative, operational and logistical support for the achievement of the outcomes of the MOU in a timely manner.
2. Support policy advocacy work of renewable energy, energy efficiency, and energy access through assessments, and guidelines:
- Assist in the preparation of draft documents including the local contextual background, barriers analysis, and stakeholders engagement using interviews, and field visits through interaction with targeted beneficiaries;
- Prepare for consultation meetings and presentation materials with developmental partners, donors and government agencies;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
3. Support to Monitor and Evaluate MOU activities:
- Assist GDE in convening and reporting periodically on the status of its activities to relevant forums;
- Prepare information for GDE team in finalizing progress of activities and relevant reports - quarterly and annual/financial reports.
4. Perform other duties of similar nature as assigned by the GDE at MME:
The position will ensure excellent assistance to the effective implementation of MOU activities in accordance with UNDP policies and procedures. The position will be based in the GDE and work daily with the Department of New and Renewable Energy. S/he will regularly report to the UNDP.
- Demonstrating / Safeguarding Ethics and Integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others
- Informed and transparent decision making
Advocacy/Advancing Policy Oriented Agenda: Support the preparation of information for advocacy
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for a variety of audiences
- Makes research of contacts in the media, government, private sector, donors, other agencies, civil society in other stakeholders for UNDP’s advocacy efforts
- Supports in identifying opportunities for advocating UNDP’s mandate
Results-based Programme Development and Management: Contributing to results through provision of information
- Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals
Building Strategic Partnerships: Maintaining information and databases
- Analyses general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Maintains databases of donor information
- Tracks and reports on mobilized resources
Innovation and Marketing new Approaches: Implementing processes and uses products
- Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
- Tracks bottlenecks, problems and issues, and proposes solutions
- Responds positively to new approaches
Resource Mobilization: Providing information for resource mobilization strategies
- Maintains information/databases on potential and actual donors
- Maintains database of project files
- Provides data and information needed for preparation of project documents
Promoting Organizational learning and Knowledge Sharing: Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing
Job Knowledge and Technical Expertise: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools, and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Client Orientation: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client need promptly
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum Bachelor degree in the field of engineering, science, economics, or administrative and financial management.
- At least 2 years of working experience in the field of energy, climate change and green growth in Cambodia;
- Proven organizational, financial, inventory, and budgetary skills;
- Experience in writing reports (e.g. project concept notes or proposals) both in Khmer and English language is an advantage;
- Proven communication experience with various stakeholder (Governmental institutions, donors, private sector, academic, and NGOs, etc.);
- Experience in the operational aspects of UN-funded projects/programmes or with government agencies or projects of other donors implemented in government agency is an advantage.
Desired skills and competencies:
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal and reporting skills
- Strong client orientation
- Well-versed in results-based management
- Demonstrated planning and organizational skills
- Ability to lead, manage and coordinate the work of a group of people
- Ability to organize and facilitate meetings, consultations, trainings, workshops, and virtual events
- Excellent skills in the usage of computers and office software packages including Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to work independent with minimal supervision.
- Fluency in Khmer and English (spoken and written).
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC/NPSA categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.