Monitoring and Reports Officer
UNDP is implementing a set of early recovery activities across the entire Syrian territories under the Whole of Syria architecture. The programme is organized around three pillars: Restoration of Basic Services and Infrastructure; Livelihoods Recovery, and Social Cohesion and Community Security. All three pillars work on area-based plans in an integrated manner, and in coordination with the other humanitarian and resilience actors.
Under the overall guidance of the Project Manager, and direct supervision of International M&E Officer, the Monitoring and Reports Officer provides services through provision of high-quality reports and monitoring of the projects progress on the ground and keep liaison with implementing partners.
The Monitoring and Reports Officer works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project staff in the UNDP, Syria and other UN and non-UN entities as required to exchange information and support project delivery.
The position belongs to the Syria Cross-Border Initiatives Unit of UNDP Syria Office located in Gaziantep.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Monitoring and Reports Officer is responsible for day-to-day affairs and tasks as outlined in the ToRs to ensure a coherent team, timely and effective delivery of programme objectives and a proactive response of UNDP to changes in the country context.
The key results have an impact on the overall effectiveness of UNDP´s work in Turkey and across the border in Syria. The efficient and timely achievement of project´s results will strengthen UNDP’s position as a strong and reliable development partner and satisfaction on the part of the humanitarian partners in Turkey and Syria.
- Tackling reporting responsibilities and meeting project’s reporting requirements
- Provision of regular update and input in monitoring of project activities, to assess overall project implementation with respect to project objectives, outputs and indicators;
- Provision of effective troubleshooting, suggestion for corrective measures to be undertaken, and plan technical assistance to implementing partners based on results of monitoring, where necessary;
- Timely drafting and reporting of progress reports etc. to donors to ensure that the reporting requirements are met in a timely manner.
- Timely implementation of monitoring recommendations;
- Timely collection of information and drafting of ‘human interest stories’ of persons impacted by UNDP supported programming
- High-quality data presentations, data maps, statistical spreadsheets for internal and external consumption: government, other UN agencies, etc.
- Effective showcase to external stakeholders on progress made and impacts delivered;
- Contribute to UNDP Syria XB Initiative Monitoring and Evaluation Strategy
- Keeping coordination across the available components of UNDP Syria XB M&E Strategy to ensure effective implementation of M&E/Management Information System
- Analysis of data related to the project at the national, provincial and district levels;
- Provision of high quality of data and strategic inputs for improving the existing M&R systems;
- Contribute to systematic and updated documentation of research reports, studies and evaluations. This includes the collection and documentation of relevant reports from government research bodies, national and international agencies, etc.
- Contribute to the development and adaptation of tools and guidance as well as training materials and manuals in monitoring and evaluation and support their use for capacity development of Programme/Project Staff
- Provide feedback and guidance to programmes on best practice in M&E
- Contribute to knowledge management, dissemination and building
- Effective support to programme team in identification, documentation, synthesis of lessons learned and best practices to be integrated into broader knowledge management efforts.
Undertake any other duties as required.
- Demonstrate integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promote the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Display cultural, gender, religious, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches;
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms;
- Effective presentation and report-writing skills; strong analytical and strategic skills as well as good written and oral communications skills.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines;
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally;
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
Self-management and Leadership:
- Focuses on impact and results for the client and responds positively to the feedback;
- Approaches the work with energy and positive and constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Ability to produce results under a complex and conflict-stricken environment;
- Strong conflict resolution and change management skills.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
· Minimum 2 years of professional experience, preferably in the field of analytical reporting and monitoring in humanitarian/development sectors for candidates with Master degree; and 4 years for candidates with Bachelor degree.
· Excellent reporting writing skills in English language is a must,
· Candidates with Arabic language skills in addition to English will be preferred
· Demonstrated strong familiarity with UNDP humanitarian and development projects.
· Strong knowledge and experience in project management support are essential as well as ability to draft high quality report supported with graphic and statistical summaries.
· Knowledge of various donor’s reporting requirements
· Excellent analytical skill and advance computer skills required, knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages
· Full time availability for project management support duties is essential.
· Familiar with UN/UNDP procedures would be desirable
· Experience in handling of web-based management systems would be highly desirable.
Candidates needs to have valid working permission in Turkey.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.