RCO - UN Coordination Associate
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the UN Head of the Resident Coordinator’s Office, the Coordination Associate is responsible to provide coordination support to and represent the RCO in the UN Operations Management Team, as well as for the execution of services in the UN RC’s Office, managing data and facilitating the implementation of UN activities. In doing so, the Coordination Associate promotes a client-oriented approach.
The UN Coordination Associate works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project teams of the UN Agencies and UN DCO staff in supporting BOS and operations related issues.
Duties and Responsibilities
The primary responsibilities of the position are:
- Ensure effective support to UN inter-agency coordination processes and products, including the achievement of the following results;
- Provide support to Operations Management Team in Syria focusing on achievement of the following results;
- Provide administrative support to the Resident Coordinator’s Office focusing on achievement of the following results;
- Support preparation and implementation of the RCO’s Work Plan and budget focusing on the achievement of the following results;
- Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results.
Ensure effective support to UN inter-agency coordination processes and products, including the achievement of the following results:
- Support the inter-agency working groups and committees, in particular the UNCT, OMT, HACT, BOS 2.0 WGs, including minutes taking for the UNCT and OMT.
- Present information/ reports for monitoring UN interventions, in particular in reference to the implementation of the Business Operations Strategy (BOS) 2.0 and overall operational issues.
- Coordinate the completion and submission of OMT-led surveys (i.e. Place-to-Place Survey, Hardship and Housing Questionnaires to ICSC, etc).
- Monitor and follow up on visa/residency issuance for the UN International Staff and in-coming missions, consolidating the “UN Visa Record” and reporting to the RC/HC and OCHA.
- Represent the RCO at the OMT and report to the RCO Management on issues to follow up.
Provide support to Operations Management Team in Syria focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support the Syria OMT team/BOS 2.0 taskforce in the implementation of the BOS 2.0 in Syria.
- Ensure effective communication/reporting between the RC Office and the OMT, including the follow up to OMT’s recommendations addressed to the RC/UNCT.
- Provide administrative support/reporting to the Common Services Coordinator on UNCT budgets, expenses allocated under the Common Services Budget.
- Ensure timely communication/reporting of UNCT decisions, NVs, or any other actions decisions related/tasked to the OMT/OMT Chair/OMT Coordinator.
In close collaboration with the RC’s Administrative Assistant, provide administrative support to the Resident Coordinator’s Office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support to administrative requirements of the Resident Coordinator’s Office team, including visa requests, travel authorizations, security clearances, payment processing etc.
- Keep record of staff leaves, R&R and support in other HR related processes (including liaising with DSS).
- Maintain a database of agencies with field representation and non-resident in country.
- Provide technical and logistical information / support to missions of agencies without field representation and international missions received by the RCO.
- Provide logistics support to the RCO staff and RC for missions and business related travels;
- Request, follow up and report about support provided by UNDP and other service providers on behalf of the RCO.
- Translate, circulate and maintain a tracking tool of the Notes Verbales from the Government of Syria addressed to the RCO Management and the UNCT.
- Shadow the RC’s Administrative Assistant when needed.
Support preparation and implementation of the RCO’s Work Plan and budget focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Prepare proposals for funding and inputs to the RCO’s Work Plan and reports.
- Provide support to end-year reporting.
- Provide operational support for RCO’s and UNCT’s activities and meetings.
- Keep records of financial supporting documents for the RCO expenses from the Support to the Resident Coordination (SRC) fund and other funds dedicated to UNCT activities.
- Monitor of the RCO funds expenditures and reporting on budget revisions.
- Prepare the Procurement Plan of the RCO.
- Maintaining/updating the RCO assets list.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt on coordination, primarily related to the BOS.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
Learning and Development:
- Knowledge of enterprise learning and development issues, concepts, and principles, and ability to apply them to enhance the fulfillment and performance of employees.
- Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve operational efficiency.
Internal Reporting and Accountability:
- Ability to create internal reporting and accountability processes and standards.
- Ability to manage day-to-day office activities (including but not limited to travel management, facilities and asset management, policy and procedures maintenance) to meet operational needs.
- Ability to prepare quality reports.
- Ability to manage organisational resources and deployment in pursuit of innovative approaches and initiatives.
Required Skills and Experience
- A first-level university degree (Bachelor’s degree) in administration, business, accounting or related fields.
- High School in combination with 7 years of qualifying experience may be accepted.
- 4 years of progressively responsible administrative or programme experience is required at the national or international level. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in English and Arabic. Working knowledge of other UN language is an asset.
- Demonstrates commitment to UN mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.