Office Support Assistant - G4
Vacancy no.: CAIRO/DC/G/2021/23
Publication date: 1 October 2021
Application deadline (midnight Cairo local time): 31 October 2021
Job ID: 6722
Organization Unit: DWT/CO-Cairo
Contract type: Fixed Term
Contract duration: 1 Year, with a possibility to renew
Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the above-mentioned vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their application online by the above date.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates*
*The recruitment process for General Service positions is subject to specific local recruitment criteria.
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A one-year fixed-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
*Conditions of employment for external candidates: In conformity with existing ILO practice, the appointment of an external candidate will normally be made at the first step of this grade.
The ILO strives to achieve Decent Work for all. It promotes social justice and internationally-recognized human and labour rights. It is the United Nations agency where governments, employers and workers have, through a tripartite structure, equal voice in improving conditions and life at work. ILO Cairo leads the promotion of decent work for all through a double mandate, as the ILO Decent Work Team for North Africa and as the Country Office for Egypt and Eritrea.
The ILO DWT Cairo is implementing the ADWA' project: Advancing the Decent Work Agenda in North Africa, a regional project covering Egypt, Tunisia and Morocco which is funded by the Swedish International Development Agency (Sida). ADWA’ aims at promoting job-rich growth, international labour standards (ILS) and their application at enterprise level. These three elements are fundamental for the economic development of the region and are essential to advance towards the realization of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
A mix of implementing strategies is going to be adopted, including evidence generation (data and analysis), knowledge management and capacity building.
The availability of more and better jobs in the sub-region requires concerted initiatives in the areas chosen by the project. The first outcome of the project supports the elaboration and implementation of a proactive job-rich growth agenda. The second outcome supports the defacto application of ILS by providing Governments with normative guidance. The third outcome will take these initiatives to the enterprise level for a cooperation with enterprises in the telecommunication and automotive supply chain to address Decent Work deficits.
2. Reporting Lines:
The incumbent will perform her/his duties under the supervision of an international Chief Technical Advisor (CTA) for the project and under the overall guidance and responsibility of the Cairo Office’s Director. The incumbent will be part of the project’s administrative and finance unit and is expected to collaborate closely.
Description of Duties
3. Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Give support in the preparation of events and special meetings (in person or online) and perform all important administrative arrangements to conduct workshops and seminars (getting offers for venues, reservations and bookings, sending invitation letters to participants, preparation of allowances for participants, preparing acceptance forms and payment memos);
- Perform duties related to the procurement of items and preparing all related administrative documents (including getting offers from different suppliers, preparation of selection memos, and addendum memos when needed);
- Process all administrative arrangements for official travel, including travel authorizations, hotel booking, flight tickets, visas and other required clearances;
- Maintain files, databases and official records related to project activities. Search and select relevant information, and quotations in accordance with standard office procedures;
- Arrange payments of resource persons, such as daily subsistence allowance. Draft payment-related correspondence, ensure follow-up and maintain records;
- Register and route mail, correspondence and other documents. Process outgoing mail ensuring most appropriate method in terms of postal rates and regulations. Maintain and organize filing systems for correspondence, documents, publications and/or reference materials. Plan and coordinate the activities of the office’s registry as required.
- Respond to routine telephone, email and in-person inquiries or refer to appropriate contact/unit. Receive and direct visitors and arrange appointments.
- Maintain, update and transmit inventory records; and
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the CTA.
Completion of secondary education.
A minimum of four years of general administration and office support work experience
Excellent command of English and good working knowledge of Arabic.
- Ability to prioritize work assignments, organize own schedule, perform routine work independently, meet deadlines and adapt to changing demands and multitasks;
- Ability to use the tools needed to perform the activities of the position, e.g. spreadsheets and record systems;
- Ability to adapt quickly to new software and systems;
- Ability to work as a member of a team and manage a heavy workload under time pressure;
- Knowledge of practices and procedures for preparing administrative documents and maintaining file system and update databases;
- Ability to work with accuracy and to pay attention to detail; and
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail in order to identify data discrepancies.
- A high degree of discretion with sense of responsibility in dealing with confidential matters.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitude
optional section (only if needed)
Candidates assessed by the Panel and considered eligible for appointment but who are not selected for this vacant post may be offered an assignment to another position at the same or lower grade provided that they meet the minimum qualifications required.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for assessment will be contacted.
- Candidates who pass the interview and have good capabilities as may be recommended by the panel, may get selected for similar positions.
- The Office reserves to itself the right to appoint candidates at a level below the level of the advertised post depending on their experience.
- Assessed candidates who will be considered as appointable for this position can also be offered to be assigned on TEMPORARY position at the same or at a lower grade provided that said candidates possesses the minimum qualifications for this position.