Head, French Translation Section - Conference Division
London (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
- Translate, revise and edit IMO documents, particularly those containing complex technical or sensitive texts and/or supervise work in this area and promptly deal with urgent translation, revision or editing as necessary.
- Supervise and evaluate the quality and quantity of the work of the Section with a view to ensuring the optimal use of resources that are available to the Section.
- Use the IMO-adopted CAT tool and technology (eLUNa) to achieve efficiency, quality assurance and cost efficiency.
- Liaise with stakeholders for the production of IMO documents and publications.
- Provide support to IMO Member States in respect to the French version of IMO instruments and documents, and establish an open communication channel with the French-speaking delegates in order to answer any queries and requests.
- Supervise and contribute to building the French IMO-related terminology in UNTERM.
- Supervise administrative matters concerning outsourced translation, including quality assurance and timely delivery of the translation work, and ensure that the Section can rely on an adequate roster of contractual translators to reinforce its capacity when the volume of work so requires.
- Ensure that all word-processing and proofreading work is completed efficiently and to a high standard.
- Collaborate with the word-processing supervisor to strive for optimal use of the human resources that are available, including ad-hoc support to other sections in the Division.
- Organize the teams serving the meetings of the committees and subcommittees of the Organization (including night shifts), supervising their work and coordinate with the submitting officers and document section in order to ensure the smooth and orderly arrival of the documents and the availability of the relevant documents on the last day of the meetings.
- Enhance staff engagement and team spirit, and conduct performance and development reviews for staff members in the Section as appropriate.
- Implement new management practices introduced in the Organization to facilitate work life balance for the staff of the Section
- Answer queries from, and provide assistance to, other UN organizations, IMO Member States and relevant institutions in the profession, as required.
- Provide training opportunities for junior translators and interns.
- Provide assistance to outreach activities of the Organization involving the French language.
- Interact with other UN organizations to ensure that IMO keeps abreast with new technological developments and working methodologies in the UN system.
- Report on monthly work progress and annual performance of the Section.
- Carry out any other responsibilities related to the management of the Section and perform other duties as may be assigned by the Director of the Conference Division.