Biomedical Engineer, Multiple positions
Background Information - UNOPS
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners' peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organisations. With over 6,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
The Austria Multi-Country Office (AUMCO) was set up in August 2019 as a part of the UNOPS Europe & Central Asia Region (ECR). Specifically, AUMCO aims to enable achievement of Agenda 2030 and the Paris Agreement through global programmes and tailored interventions in the Balkans, South Caucasus, and Central Asia, focused on:
● Project Management (full service, back on track)
● HR and Transactional Services
● Grant Management
● Technical and Advisory Services
Background - Albania
UNOPS Albania was established in 2020 to support, develop and oversee UNOPS' growing portfolio of projects in Albania. The office currently provides project implementation services to two major projects where we work very closely with development partners, the Ministry of Culture, the Ministry of Health, Cultural Heritage institutions, Hospitals and Laboratories.
The office is based in Tirana, with project sites throughout Albania.
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS and the Government of Albania, with funding from the World Bank, have come to an agreement for the implementation of the COVID-19 Emergency Project. It contains three main components:
- Redesign and renovation of the Infectious Disease Clinic at Mother Teresa Hospital (emergency department, 100-bed ward and 8-bed ICU), Tirana.
- Master planning and equipment improvements of the Public Health Institute, Tirana.
- Rehabilitation of radiology rooms with Angiography, CT-scanners and X-Rays with new imaging equipment and redesign and renovation of the rooms, various sites.
The Biomedical Engineer will be mainly responsible for all the tasks associated with the rehabilitation of the radiology rooms, in total between 8 and 15 rooms, throughout Albania. This includes oversight of the design process from biomedical viewpoint, review designs of radiology rooms, coordination between design company / supplier of medical equipment / recipients / construction company, supervision of installation of imaging equipment, supervision of trainings, commissioning and testing of the medical equipment to be purchased by the Albania office. The biomedical engineer will work together with the team of UNOPS, consisting of a project manager,civil engineer, associate engineers and procurement officer.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Biomedical Engineer will carry out the following duties, in full compliance with UNOPS rules, regulations and policies to support Communications Unit for Albania Office within UNOPS key focus and service areas:
● Coordinate the design, rehabilitation works, equipment delivery and installation of radiology equipment between design company / supplier of medical equipment / recipients / construction company. The biomedical engineer is expected to travel to the radiology sites.
● Review the design process of room designs for each site and assist in the design review process together with engineering colleagues
● Support in the preparation of the technical requirements for the installation of the equipment.
● Support in the planning of the logistic of delivery and installation
● Take part in the bid evaluation process in the supplier selections for the medical equipment supply and installation services (if needed)
● Verifications of imported medical equipment for specification compliance prior to installations.
● Support in the supervision of installation of the medical equipment/systems ensuring the works are carried out as per the design specifications and contracts administrations of installation works
● Checking and certifying of contractor’s progress payment claims in respect of medical equipment items
● Support in the supervision of testing and commissioning of medical equipment/systems on completion of installations, and the preparation of the commissioning and client’s hand-over reports.
● Prepare work progress reports and contract close-out reports.
● Support in the supervision of training of the medical staff on operation and maintenance tasks, and records keeping
● Review the medical assets/systems operational performances produce reports and follow up on any warranty maintenance as required.
● Prepare operational and maintenance plans for all medical equipment/systems installed under the project, and issue to the client on project completion (if needed).
● Any other business as directed by the Programme Manager.
● Promote and follow-up medical equipment related projects in the Country.
● Travel to project sites if required.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
● Prepare weekly & monthly progress reports: progress of works based on the established schedules and plans, encountered problems, solutions, planning of activities for the following week, etc.
● Contribute to Consolidated quarterly progress reports
● Prepare and maintain an inventory list of medical equipment
● Prepare operational and maintenance plans for all medical equipment (if needed)
● Prepare and coordinate handover documents for the rooms and the medical equipment
● Prepare an accurate inventory list of all medical equipment
● Complete operational and maintenance plans for all medical equipment
● Support the participation and/or representation of the Country Manager at events and technical meetings as required.
● Participate in meetings with donors and partners and produce high quality meeting minutes and action-oriented summaries.
● When needed, join Country Manager monitoring visits or donor field visits of UNOPS projects.
● Other duties assigned by the supervisor.
● Advanced university degree in relevant field is required
● Bachelor’s degree with additional 2 years of experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced university degree.
● A secondary school diploma with additional 6 years of experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced university degree.
● Two years of relevant experience in Biomedical engineering support required.
● At least two (2) years of experience in medical equipment management, purchase and/or installation and maintenance management.
● Experience of successfully working with a variety of health sector stakeholders, particularly governments and development partners is an asset
● Good knowledge of the local and international medical Rules and Regulations is an asset.
● Experience in the usage of G Suite is desirable.
● Experience in work with the international aid development sector, including the UN system, international NGOs and International Donors is desirable.
● Previous UNOPS or UN experience is desirable.
● Fluency in English and Albanian is required.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement - ICA retainer modality. A retainer contract is issued for a period of time during which the services of the individual contractor are required intermittently. The individual contractor agreement on retainer basis will specify a “unit price” per day worked. For budgetary purposes, a monetary cap will be determined when the contract is awarded and issued. Please note that the retainer contract will not provide for a minimum, and payment will be made only after completion of workContract level: LICA-9/ICSC-9
Contract duration: ASAP - 30 June 2022
Duty station: Tirana, Albania (the biomedical engineer is expected to travel to the radiology sites)
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.