RESILIENCE NATIONAL PROGRAMME POLICY OFFICER
Congo DRC (Congo Democratic)
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
JOB TITLE :
PROGRAMME OFFICER RESILIENCE
TYPE OF CONTRACT :
FIXED TERM, NOC
DUTY STATION (City, Country):
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE:
KINSHASA, DR CONGO
29 October 2021
The Democratic Republic of Congo has been engulfed in a complex humanitarian crisis for decades, fueled by armed conflict, natural disasters and disease outbreaks. While the poverty rate of the largest country in Sub-Saharan Africa has fallen slightly over the past two decades, particularly in rural areas, the DRC nonetheless remains one of the poorest countries in the world. Women and children remain the most vulnerable. The crisis context is aggravated by the political standstill, the slowdown in economic growth, and structural weaknesses in terms of development.
Around 27.3 million people in the Democratic Republic of Congo are experiencing high levels of acute food insecurity (IPC Phase 3 or above), making the central African country the host of the highest number of people in urgent need of humanitarian assistance in the world.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head of Resilience, the National Programme Officer/NOC will coordinate the multiple partnerships of the resilience unit with different UN Agencies, and other internal and external partners. The Programme Officer will represent WFP’s Resilience Unit as requested by the supervisor, and contribute to the formulation, management and implementation of resilience programme activities in line with the WFP DRC Strategic Plan, which envisages a transition from humanitarian to resilience operations. The selected candidate will also have a pivotal role in forging strong alliances with academia, governmental institutions and other national, and international partners to support the resilience programme, and contribute substantially to the strategic planning and the identification of new programme opportunities within the thematic areas while ensuring consistency with UNSCDF and government priorities around resilience, agricultural development, nexus, and food systems.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Contribute to formulation of WFP-wide programme policies in line with both organisational strategy and the practical realities of operating in the field; or translate programme policy into Regional/Country level practices. Developing programme guidance and implementation modalities and operations, to ensure a clear and strong connection between HQ and field operations.
2. Provide advice and support to COs on moderately complex issues to clarify ambiguities and ensure that policy and programme operations are consistent with WFP policies, Executive Board decisions, and other relevant guidance.
3. Provide technical advice or mobilise technical expertise on programme and policy issues including assessment and analysis, the choice of objectives, activities, transfer modalities and appropriate food products, the deployment and testing of innovative approaches and the development of strategies to support government efforts to reduce hunger and malnutrition.
4. Assist counterparts in governments and other partners in identifying where food assistance can be usefully employed and provide support and technical expertise for the planning, formulation and implementation of moderately complex food assistance programmes to strengthen government and community ownership and effectiveness of food security and nutrition programmes at national and sub-national levels.
5. Establish and maintain operational partnerships to identify opportunities for collaborative approaches and initiatives that improve assistance packages and support advocacy work.
6. Enhance WFP’s leadership status in forums relating to area of specialism, for example food security, nutrition, livelihoods, resilience or engagement in humanitarian, transition and development contexts through direct participation, briefings, information products and other materials.
7. Manage operational research and evidence building on issues relevant to food assistance.
8. Manage the preparation and dissemination of timely analytical and critical reports, publications, and a variety of information products or proposals for internal or external use.
9. Contribute to resources mobilisations efforts for WFP projects, including clearly articulating the need for food assistance and related programme opportunities, and follow up on the resource situation of projects including commodity and cash availability, seeking advice from senior colleagues where necessary.
10. Provide advice and support the development of functional training in areas of expertise to enhance the capacity of WFP staff and partner to design and deliver effective food assistance programmes.
11. Lead, motivate and develop a team of staff to enable high performance.
12. Ensure the best use of assigned financial resources for achievement of set objectives within a moderate budget.
13. Contribute to Country Office Emergency Preparedness i.e. early warning, risk analysis, and contingency planning in order to respond to humanitarian crises and needs.
14. Other as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE:
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in development or humanitarian work, preferably with specialized experience in resilience and/or livelihood projects.
- At least 5 years of experience leading a team in the coordination and implementation of programs.
- Strong experience in managing multi-country or multi-component programmes, including experience in managing project budgets and quality control of implementation and financial reports.
- Working knowledge of joint programming.
- Proven ability and experience in coordinating inter-institutional networks, partnerships, communication strategies and initiatives.
- Has engaged in policy discussions and provided input into policy decisions with regards to nexus, resilience, food systems, and agricultural development in general.
STANDARD MINIMUM ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS:
- Education: Advanced University degree in International Affairs, Economics, Nutrition/Health, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Social Sciences or other field relevant to international development assistance.
- Language: Fluency oral and written (level C) in English and French language.
IMPORTANT AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATIONS
WFP will apply a rigorous and transparent selection process that includes a thorough assessment of technical competencies to ensure that the best candidates are selected for the position. Make sure your application contains accurate and complete information on academic qualifications, employment records and language skills. Only successful candidates will be invited to an interview.
WFP is committed to diversity and inclusion in its workforce and encourages qualified women and men from all religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply.
WFP has a zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate based on the status of HIV / AIDS.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should complete their applications online at the WFP website: http://www.wfp.org/careers by clicking on "View Job Opportunities and Jobs of Interest". Candidates will need to register and create online CVs in order to apply. Hard copies of resumes or applications by e-mail will not be accepted. Make sure your request contains accurate and complete information.
WFP DOES NOT RECEIVE FEES AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT AND DOES NOT REQUIRE BANKING INFORMATION.
Only successful candidates will be invited to the written test and the interview