Head of Programme - Asuncion
International IDEA Is managing a four-year programme (2019 - 2023) – the Consolidation of Paraguayan Democracy II - with funding from the European Union. The overall objective of the programme is to contribute to the consolidation of democracy In Paraguay through the strengthening of the electoral integrity, in line with the 2018 EU Election Observation Mission recommendations, and to increase political representation and participation of women, under-represented groups and civil society.
The programme aims to enhance the capacities of institutional and political actors to tackle electoral reforms; strengthen capacities of the Electoral Tribunal (TSJE) to respond to electoral reforms, foster the inclusion of under-represented groups, apply ICT tools on political financing control and integrate the principles of transparency and accountability. The programme will also work to strengthen capacities for improving the legal framework for political financing and its effective implementation; strengthen democratic political parties' internal and inter-party dialogue mechanisms; strengthen disposition and capacity for promoting gender equality, women's political participation and representation, and gender mainstreaming and increase levels of specialized knowledge and technical skills for stronger democratic participation and monitoring notably of civil society organizations, media, human right’s defenders and under-represented groups.
The Head of Programme will design and manage International IDEA’s country strategy and projects in Paraguay and will promote dialogue and consensus building at the highest levels, facilitating expert advice to political actors in Paraguay. The Head of Programme represents International IDEA in Paraguay, will manage a team of local staff and will progress fundraising activities for projects in Paraguay.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees the implementation, reporting and accounting of all International IDEA projects and activities in Paraguay;
- Implements ongoing actions, and designs additional lnternational IDEA project proposals for Paraguay;
- Promotes dialogue and consensus building at the highest levels and provides expert advice to political actors in Paraguay;
- Manages and directs a team of staff and consultants to ensure full delivery of agreed programme outputs, while fostering a spirit of collaboration, work ethics and team cohesion;
- Provides timely and insightful reports on political developments in Paraguay;
- Participates in dialogue processes and advocacy in the field of democracy, governance and social development;
- Manages the development of publications to support the consolidation of Paraguay’s democracy, and contextualizes and updates existing International IDEA publications; develops simplified and shorter versions of these publications to be disseminated to a broader audience;
- Liaises and works programmatically with relevant local, national and intergovernmental bodies;
- Maintains and develops relevant professional contacts and networks of cooperation with those active in relevant fields, including practitioners, policy makers, academics and the international community, and notably with lnternational IDEA member states;
- Plans, facilitates, participates in and makes presentations at relevant coordination meetings, seminars, workshops and conferences;
- Represents lnternational IDEA externally as appropriate; Nurtures effective relations with the Government of Paraguay, International IDEA member states, the EU, the UN family of organizations and other relevant partners, donors and interlocutors;
- Manages fundraising initiatives in Paraguay for projects in line with lnternational IDEA policies and procedures;
- Takes responsibility for overall programme risk management and actively manages risk in line with organizational policies and procedures;
- Participates in and contributes generally to the Latin America and the Caribbean Regional Programme and its activities;
- Ensures communication and cooperation with lnternational IDEA's global and crosscutting programmes;
- Ensures coordination and effective communication with the EU, ensuring compliance with both EU and International IDEA policies and procedures.
- Combines in-depth knowledge, excellent skills including managerial skills and relevant experience in their field;
- Leads assigned projects with authority throughout the project life cycle, i.e., from strategic planning and project design, funding and budgeting to project assessment and accountability; leads meetings and discussions, oversees publications and input from external providers; Brings a significant fund-raising and administrative capacity to the job;
- Has the intellectual leadership to integrate innovation into his/her field of expertise;
- Leads a team of contributors to the project, including staff members and consultants;
- Fosters team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model and mentor for colleagues;
- Is expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Anticipates internal challenges and issues and recommends process improvements;
- Integrates a rights-based approach, gender sensitivity, and a diversity of perspective into all programme activities;
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’ s core values; Respect, Integrity and Professionalism.
- Director Latin America and the Caribbean Region.
- Leads a multi-talented team, sets team priorities and manages resources in projects of considerable complexity;
- Acts as a model and resource for colleagues
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Liaises permanently to all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her project; acts and is perceived as an initiator of relevant communication to solve issues;
- Drives projects and assignments through communicative personal energy and engagement;
- Can explain sensitive information with diplomacy, and build consensus;
- Is able to present his/her activities and represent lnternational IDEA effectively in all professional circles;
- Fluency in written and oral English and Spanish is required. Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region would be an asset
Education and Experience
- Post graduate degree in social science, political science, international law, international development, peace and development studies or related subjects;
- A minimum ten (10) years of relevant experience working in the field of elections, political participation and representation or constitution building, including substantial experience working in field positions;
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in management positions, including senior level positions
- Experience working in the field of democracy and governance in Latin America;
- Proven experience in engaging, cultivating and influencing stakeholders; Experience of working in an international environment;
- Proven experience with resource mobilization, including experience in conceptualization and formulation of successful funding proposals and extensive management of donor-funded projects and donor reporting.
Terms of Contract:
- International post
- Fixed term appointment until 14 November 2023
- Salary: EUR 7 031 per month plus benefits.
Applying for this position:
- Applications should be submitted online no later than 23:59 (CEST) 22 November 2021.
- Please note that all applications must be made in English.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.