Early Childhood Education Intern
Salt Lake City (United States of America)
Please note: This is an unpaid internship position. No financial compensation, including compensation for relocation, is available.
In addition to completing this application, interested applicants should email a resume, cover letter, and two letters of recommendation to [email protected] with “Early Ed Intern” in the subject line.
BACKGROUND: Founded in 1933, the IRC is a leading nonsectarian, voluntary organization providing relief, protection and resettlement services for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. In the U.S., the IRC resettles approximately 11,000 refugees per year and provides numerous program services to assist the refugee from their arrival through citizenship. The IRC in Salt Lake City opened it office in 1994, and provides resettlement services through extended case management to newly arrived refugees for up to 24-months as well as over twenty different programs to educate and empower refugees.
SCOPE OF INTERN WORK: The Early Education Intern will work under the direction of the Refugee Youth and Education Coordinator. They will be responsible for coordinating educational services for children ages 0 to 4 who are within two years of IRC case management. The Early Childhood Education Intern will complete school enrollment applications for various preschool programs such as Head Start, UPSTART online program, and public school district programs. The Early Education Intern will also provide logistical support to families such as transportation orientations, first day of school assistance, and follow up support.
• Screen families with children for potential participation in preschool programs.
• Enroll eligible children in early education services/programs.
• Provide logistical support to families such as transportation orientations and first day of school support.
• Help caregivers attend important school events/meetings; act as a liaison for the family at school orientations, parent-teacher meetings, etc.
• Provide follow up support to family as needed.
• Ensure proper case noting of services provided.
• Other duties as assigned.
1. Gain a better understanding of the U.S. educational system and the educational ecosystem in Salt Lake County.
2. Project and logistics management skill building.
3. Gain hands-on early childhood development understanding and awareness.