International Consultant on Technical Monitoring
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture.
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply;
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO's values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
FAO Partnership and Liaison Office in Azerbaijan in partnership with the Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Azerbaijan is currently implementing “Improvement of Cattle Production in Azerbaijan through Establishment of Effective Cattle Breeding and Feeding Systems” and “Development and application of sustainable sheep production and food value chains” projects under FAO-Azerbaijan Partnership Programme. The main purpose of cattle breeding and feeding project is the improvement of cattle productivity through establishment of an appropriate breeding management and strengthened services for AI, and feeding systems, while sheep production project aims to improve rural livelihoods and food security through enhanced sheep productivity and strengthened human capacities.
Ms. Melek Cakmak, FAO Representative in Azerbaijan
Under the overall supervision of Representative of FAO Partnership and Liaison Office in Azerbaijan, the direct supervision of the Assistant FAO Representative (AFAOR), the technical supervision of the Lead Technical Officer (LTO) and in close coordination with the Programme/Operations Specialist; in close collaboration with the Ministry of Agriculture, the national counterparts, the National Project Coordinator (NPC), Junior Technical Specialist (JTS) and the International and National Consultants, the International Consultant on Technical Monitoring will perform the following task
Tasks and responsibilities
- Support and supervise the coordination and implementation of the project activities at national and local level in close coordination with the budget holder, the LTO, the project team and as well as the counterpart.
- Conduct filed visits to the project sites to ensure that activities are implemented soundly on site
- Meet with different relevant actors, particularly Government as well as farmers to ensure sound and timely implementation of the activities
- Contribute to the preparation of the Terms of References (ToRs) for the project consultants and support their recruitment (if needed); provide support and coordinate their work
- Review the progress to date of all project activities in close cooperation with the project team and the Technical Management, and agree on corrective actions, if required
- Suggest technical improvements to achieve planned outputs, initiate the discussion and implement them once approved
- When pertinent provide relevant examples of good practices and experiences from other country contexts, lead the discussion of these examples’ adoption feasibility and if pertinent lead their implementation
- Support the project team in the preparation and implementation of a pilot programme for innovative production system and demo plots
- Support to the project team in the coordination of the training needs assessment, and based on the results, support the development of a qualitative training program and modules reflecting the needs, which includes training and awareness raising material
- Lead the projects’ visibility within Azerbaijan and as well as, if pertinent, internationally.
- Carry out other activities within his/her technical competence as requested by the LTO
- Lead periodic as well as final critical analysis of project implementation performance including SWOT analysis and lessons learned
- Prepare a back to office report after each mission, provide inputs, and support the Project Team to prepare and submit on time the relevant reports.
- Lead the final project report writing process.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in agriculture, animal science or related fields.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in programme management with ability to demonstrate previously developed materials.
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of Russian.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Strong coordinator skills
- Ability to coordinate and act at national and local levels
- Strong planning, organization and time management skills and ability to manage multiple tasks
- Extent of experience in the planning, management, coordination, monitoring and evaluation of projects in the field of animal husbandry for developing countries
- Experience in working and leading multidisciplinary and multi-cultural teams with demonstrated managerial, leadership, strategic thinking skills
- Proficiency in preparing and presenting professional reports and analytical papers.
- Level of knowledge of animal sciences, veterinary etc
- Very good interpersonal and communication skills, ability to manage relations with development partners, work under pressure and handle politically- and culturally sensitive issues.
- Relevant experience in project coordination at international, national, and local levels.
- Relevant experience in Azerbaijan or post-soviet countries will be an asset.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency