Program Officer for Locally Led Adaptation
VACANCY TITLE Program Officer for Locally Led Adaptation
LOCATION Dhaka, Bangladesh or Rotterdam, Netherlands
INTENSITY Full time
ANTICIPATED START DATE As soon as possible
APPLICATION DEADLINE 31 01 2022; 5pm CET
The Global Center on Adaptation (GCA) is an international organization that works as a solutions broker to catalyse action and support for adaptation solutions, from the international to the local, in partnership with the public and private sector, to ensure we learn from each other and work together for a climate resilient future. Adapting to impacts of climate change provides a “win-win” for health, livelihoods, food security, water supply, human security, and economic growth. The work of GCA elevates the visibility and political importance of climate adaptation and facilitates solutions, such as smarter investments, new technologies and better planning to become more resilient to climate-related threats.
GCA has an ambitious 2020-2025 business plan with three pillars:
- Programs and Action: Food Security; Using Nature for more resilient infrastructure; Water for Urban Growth and Resilience; Climate Finance; Youth Leadership
- Knowledge Acceleration: Building adaptation knowledge globally through cutting edge products such as the State and Trends in Adaptation Report and the Knowledge Exchange Platform
- Agenda Setting and Advocacy: Formulating policy messages to move the global, regional, and local adaptation agendas forward.
Recognizing the highly localized nature of climate impacts; the importance of local adaptation action; the potential and creativity of communities to develop locally appropriate and innovative solutions; the ownership benefits of community-driven action; and the strong need for accountability to poor and marginalized communities affected by climate change, the GCA is strongly committed to addressing barriers to accelerating and scaling up locally led action (LLA). LLA involves shifting power, agency, and resources to local stakeholders to lead or meaningfully participate in adaptation and resilience-building efforts.
GCA aims to be a dominant reference point for LLA through a center of excellence – a Global Hub on LLA – in the GCA regional office in Dhaka, Bangladesh. The activities of the Global Hub will focus on knowledge acceleration, capacity building, agenda setting and advocacy, and climate finance for LLA.
ABOUT THE ROLE
GCA seeks a dynamic individual to fill the role of Program Officer for Locally Led Adaptation, working as a core team member to drive forward the Global Center on Adaptation’s role as a solutions broker in the field of adaptation action. The Program Officer will work with the Locally Led Action team, under the supervision of the Global Program Lead for Locally Led Adaptation, to carry out the objective of delivering the activities of GCA’s Global Hub on Locally Led Action in South Asia and globally.
The Program Officer will contribute to the management of the activities of the Global Hub on LLA in in Asia, and globally
Areas of responsibility
Key responsibilities will include:
- Contributing to the development and delivery of the activities of the Global Hub on LLA in South Asia and globally, including the development and updating of detailed work plans and budgets.
- Participate in the preliminary evaluation of project proposals to assess their feasibility for financial support and/or technical assistance by GCA. This involves the initial screening of project, carrying out desk reviews, preparing preliminary evaluation notes for presentation to the Workstream Lead and the Regional Director.
- Ensuring the successful development and delivery of projects within the LLA work program in time, while ensuring value for money.
- Assessing, monitoring, evaluating, and reporting on projects, and steering implementing partners.
- Identifying opportunities and creating proposals for overcoming barriers to scale up LLA in South Asia and globally, including through gender and youth-based interventions.
- Delivering high-quality research to identify and disseminate LLA good practices and supporting peer-learning on LLA in the region, including by working proactively with multiple stakeholders, partners, and GCA Programs and Research teams.
- Expanding a regional network of relevant experts and policymakers to support the delivery of the long-term plans of the Global Hub on LLA.
- Ensuring strong links with the other teams within GCA, helping to foster a collaborative working environment in which knowledge, information and best practices are shared and used for continuous improvement.
- Supporting GCA’s global, regional, and national outreach activities.
- Perform any additional tasks as assigned.