The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life- changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, the IRC aims to restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.
Following a first assessment conducted in January 2017 in Italy and another one in July 2017, several critical protection gaps were identified within assistance provided to refugees and migrants in Italy: mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS), assistance to unaccompanied children, information provision and legal support. To respond to the identified gaps IRC established a small presence in Italy. Programs in Italy include Refugee.Info web-based information platform, child protection programming targeting unaccompanied children and victims of trafficking, mentoring programs for the socio-economic inclusion of refugee youth, WPE and education (social emotional learning and healing classrooms). With the onset of the Ukrainian refugee crisis Ukraine, IRC Italy is ramping up its capacities to respond to protection and MHPSS needs of newly arrived Ukrainian refugees in several locations in Italy.
The Project Manager will be responsible for supporting and coordinating IRC-led implementation of programming in Italy, with a main focus on the support provision (MHPSS, CP and WPE) to people on the move fleeing Ukraine and other countries. The Project Manager will support project teams to strengthen the quality and effectiveness of implementation and accountability, strengthen harmonization between national initiatives and interventions delivered in the field, and ensure timely implementation of project activities. This is a full-time national staff position based in Milan and reports to the Program Manager.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee project implementation including logistics support and organization of IRC-led activities - trainings, meetings, and workshops for partners, service providers, and stakeholders, in line with donor requirements
- Based on monitoring and feedback mechanisms, strengthen the quality, effectiveness, and responsiveness of project interventions.
- Work with IRC advisors to strengthen implementation of technical guidance and recommendations for interventions in the field.
- Develop actionable work plans to ensure the timely implementation of project activities, in collaboration with project team members
- Ensure that action points and agreements are actioned upon, including coordination and communication among/between IRC, partner, and relevant stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain effective and productive working relationships with key stakeholders and represent IRC at meetings with stakeholders
- Report on performance and lead regular team meetings aimed at ensuring activities of the team members are coordinated and performed in a timely manner.
- Promote an environment of best practice and knowledge sharing between different programs and between partners.
Monitoring and reporting
- Work with M&E officer to ensure project monitoring and evaluation, including data collection and analysis for the baseline study, other assessments, M&E and field data management.
- Ensure that the projects are data-driven and that programmatic decisions are grounded in evidence, monitor project progress against programmatic and budgetary targets and perform monitoring visits, and reporting.
- Engage in country program wide business development efforts by carrying out assessments, reviewing / inputting on proposals in pipeline, gathering and compiling inputs from program / partnerships colleagues to support fundraising.
- In collaboration with the Program team and partners, identify opportunities to promote and amplify the work of IRC and partners through advocacy, networking, coordination, etc. with local, national, and international stakeholders.
- Ensure IRC and donor visibility in project activities is in line with IRC and donor policies/requirements.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
- Position Reports to IRC Italy Program Manager
- Required to work closely with the IRC Italy Program team, M&E officer, finance, and grants
- External collaboration with donors, implementing partners, local authorities and other stakeholders