Program Officer, Research
New York City | York | Silver Spring | Spring | Dallas
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the leading providers of high-quality programming for refugees resettling to the United States. Switchboard is a one-stop resource hub for refugee service providers in the United States, supported by the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) and implemented by the IRC in partnership with Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service (LIRS). More information about Switchboard can be found at www.SwitchboardTA.org.
Switchboard is seeking two Program Officers for Research. These staff will be responsible for contributing to Switchboard’s evidence database, including by developing evidence summaries, and to the development of Switchboard literature reviews. These staff may be located anywhere in the United States.
- Support Switchboard’s literature review projects: develop review protocols; conduct literature searches; draft articles; lead academic submission process
- As needed, support original data collection via focus group discussion, survey, etc. in identified program areas
- Develop short, practitioner-focused evidence summaries in identified program areas
· Support updates of Switchboard’s online evidence database: maintain evidence search protocol; conduct systematic searches of research databases for potentially eligible publications; review text of publications to determine eligibility; tag eligible studies for upload to online database
- As needed, develop learning materials explaining how to use research and evidence to improve project design in refugee services, including blog posts, information guides, webinars, etc.
Other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree in a social science or other relevant field (health, social work, education, etc.) at minimum.
· Demonstrated research experience, including experience carrying out systematic searches (such as evidence mapping, literature reviews, systematic reviews or similar) or interpreting systematic reviews.
· Ability to read and correctly interpret systematic reviews and meta-analyses
· Ability to identify policy and practice implications based on evidence
· Ability to assess the quality of a systematic review
· Understanding of research designs used to generate causal inference
· Ability to write brief summaries of research in non-technical language
· Demonstrated ability to work to deadlines and produce high-quality products
Preferred Experience & Skills:
- Graduate degree candidate, graduate degree, PhD candidate, or PhD
- 3+ years of experience in research and evidence mapping
- Demonstrated familiarity and/or experience with Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR)-funded refugee resettlement and integration services.
Working Environment: Standard office and/or remote working environment. This role may require working remotely full or part time and part time remote employees may be required to share workspace.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who have lived experience as refugees, survivors of trafficking, or other populations the IRC serves.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days depending on role and tenure, medical insurance starting at $120 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with immediately vested matching, disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC et les employés de IRC doivent adhérer aux valeurs et principes contenus dans le IRC WAY (normes de conduite professionnelle). Ce sont l’Intégrité, le Service, et la Responsabilité. En conformité avec ces valeurs, IRC opère et fait respecter les politiques sur la protection des bénéficiaires contre l’exploitation et les abus, la protection de l’enfant, le harcèlement sur les lieux de travail, l’intégrité financière, et les représailles.