HR Legal adviser (HR-DHO-LA-2022-55-LD)
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you an experienced legal adviser, specialised in international administrative law, with strong interest for personnel matters? Contribute your skills and knowledge in the largest particle physics laboratory in the world, an Intergovernmental Organisation at the forefront of research. CERN, take part!
The HR department enables CERN to push the frontiers of science through the attraction & engagement of a diverse & talented community in the spirit of growth & collaboration by designing & delivering tailored HR services and policies to support our people to perform at their best.
Within the HR department, you will join the Department Head Office (DHO) group, which supports the development and implementation of its strategy, projects and policies. In the DHO group, you will join the Legal Advice (LA) Section in charge of providing expert legal advice on a wide range of HR-related matters.
You will be part of a team of HR legal advisers and work in close cooperation with CERN’s central Legal Service.
Specifically, you will:
- Play a key role in working groups for the review of internal legislation.
- Draft internal legislation and related amendments.
- Provide legal advice to the HR Management and other stakeholders on:
- The application of the Staff Rules and Regulations and related documents.
- HR policy matters and procedures.
- Internal disputes and disciplinary proceedings.
- Handle cases on behalf of the Organization before CERN’s internal dispute resolution and disciplinary boards.
- Perform legal research and analysis for the preparation of legal opinions, internal memoranda or official correspondence.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of international public or administrative law or a related field.
Extensive experience as a legal adviser in an intergovernmental organisation or in a law firm, practicing international administrative law, preferably in the field of Human Resources.
- Knowledge of International Administrative Law (law of the International Civil Service)
- Drafting and writing of official documents: (official legal documents)
- Knowledge of administrative rules and procedures: specific to International Organisations.
- Knowledge of Employment Law or Civil Service Law would be an asset.
- Working in Teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships
- Demonstrating Flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements
- Communicating Effectively: demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively
- Learning and Sharing Knowledge: proposing ways to improve or streamline existing procedures, processes and methodologies.
- Solving Problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them Finding the information needed to solve problems; making objective judgments based on all the facts available
Spoken and written English and French: ability to understand and speak both languages in professional contexts as well as the ability to draft texts for publications and/or official communications and to make oral presentations in both languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 15.06.2022 at noon (12:00 CET).
Contract type: Limited duration contract (3 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Limited duration contract (3 years).
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: HR-DHO-LA-2022-55-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Legal Adviser