Regional Security Manager - Africa
Reports to:WCS Global Safety & Security Director
Key Relationships:Regional Directors, Country and Program Directors, APAMU staff, Protected area and field management staff, and senior programmatic staff
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Summary of Position
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) saves wildlife and wild places worldwide through science, conservation action, education, and inspiring people to value nature. WCS envisions a world where wildlife thrives in healthy lands and seas, valued by societies that embrace and benefit from the diversity and integrity of life on earth. WCS seeks to conserve the world's largest and most ecologically intact wild places. These places are home to more than 50 percent of the world's biodiversity and sustain over 300 million of the world's poorest people.
This position will be assigned to work with WCS’s three regions in Africa, along with the Africa Protected Area Management Unit (APAMU) to focus on the programmatic security needs for WCS operations in Africa. WCS’s work in Africa comprises some of the largest programs within the WCS Global Portfolio in terms of budget and staffing.
The Regional Security Director is accountable for developing and implementing procedures, communications, and training to safeguard WCS personnel, assets and operations within WCS’ Global Conservation Program. This position is responsible for improving security readiness, awareness, preparing evacuation plans for priority sites, monitoring the security and safety situation in countries where we work, intelligence collection, analysis and dissemination, and providing the necessary advice and training to enhance security of our staff, assets, and operations throughout all program regions. The Regional Security Manager will also be responsible for creating, and reviewing existing, risk assessment and mitigation plans, security management plans, and crisis management plans; and providing guidance as needed to make sure all plans are current and effective.
- For the first 3-6 months of this assignment, the priority will be to identify, document, analyze and prioritize programmatic threats and risks affecting the safety and security of WCS staff, visitors, and assets within Africa. This will include the development of site-based security and evacuation plans in those areas facing the most imminent threats (such as northern Mozambique, Eastern DRC, and northern CAR). Thereafter, the position will work with the Global Director to continue to monitor, evaluate, support and respond to the programmatic security needs of WCS programs within Africa.
- Work collaboratively with all Regional Directors for the purpose of developing and managing a regional security strategy
- Enhance WCS’s ability to receive, evaluate and react to threat intelligence and to analyze local, regional and global trends
- Prepare and deliver communication tools and training modules to disseminate regular security briefings and create broader awareness and responsiveness of staff to safety and security
- Design, implement and monitor threat mitigation strategies, including personnel risk management, asset management and communications protocols, in cooperation with all country directors
- Provide guidance and support WCS Africa leadership on building a more robust response to program security including guidance on applying for external funding to support near and long-term comprehensive security initiatives
- Perform regular onsite audits of all programmatic security infrastructure and procedures
- Assist all country directors with the recruitment and/or designation of staff best suited to oversee security processes within in each country program
- Coordinate and assist in the investigative responses to security incidents
- Actively participate in security networks (such as OSAC and INSO) for the purpose of creating a broader security awareness exchange with other NGO security resources
- Provide regular progress reports to the Global Safety & Security Director on the state of security for each region to include all accomplishments, short and long-term security goals and budget guidance.