Health Safety and Security Manager Iraq
Baghdad | Erbil
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Baghdad | Erbil
- Grade: Mid level - Mid level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Security and Safety
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: Closed
The Health, Safety, and Security Manager (HSS) will support the country office to ensure compliance with NRC HSS minimum standards and in reducing the overall risk on NRC operations across the country. This includes developing and updating HSS strategies, plans, and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), as well as providing HSS mitigation measures for safe and secure program access. The HSS manager is also responsible to coordinate and conduct mandatory and other tailored training courses for the country office and area offices. An important deliverable will be building the capacity of Iraqi HSS colleagues with the aim to nationalise the Manager position by the end of this contract period.
Role and responsibilities:
- Compliance and adherence to NRC policies, guidance, and procedures
- Monitor and analyze the context (overall security situation, risks, and most likely scenarios), ensuring reliable security information as basis for informed decision-making.
- Work with management to ensure that the relevant mitigation measures are in place in the field and within our processes to reduce risks to an acceptable level
- Work with management to ensure that all staff give their informed consent based on briefing upon arrival and that updates are regularly shared on security situations
- Ensure that Duty of Care (DoC) HSS standards are always upheld and that corrective measures are implemented when weaknesses are identified in collaboration with HR.
- Work with the CMG on emergency preparedness as it pertains to programmes, providing oversight and technical support regarding security and emergency evacuations.
- As a key member of the Crisis Management Team, provide sustained support to operational teams and management during an incident.
- Contribute to improve humanitarian access for NRC operations across Iraq by providing technical support on tools and strategies, ensuring capacity building for field staff, and supporting AM and programme / support staff in managing access related incidents.
- Support Programme teams in ensuring NRC’s partners have solid HSS management system in place also conducting capacity building activities when relevant.
- Facilitate on ongoing culture of learning as it relates to health, safety and security and arrange for ongoing trainings including HEAT, on-site training, etc. in line with NRC policies.
- Network, communicate and cooperate with relevant external HSS actors and pursue and develop relationships with a variety of stakeholders to increase and maintain humanitarian access.
- Contribute to NRC’s Risk Management process supporting Risk & Compliance Coordinator and other Risk Owners in identifying, assessing, and managing organizational risks.
- Review with AMs and other CMG member Risk and Operation team structure and department’s budget.
- Create routines in CO and AOs for regular refresher trainings.
- Promote and stimulate HSS risk management culture and guide NRC’s work to expand safe humanitarian access into new geographical areas.
- Develop and maintain national HSS documents and procedures including strategy and budget, and ensure consistency and accountability of security and safety procedures across the whole country programme
Pease click this job description for more details about the role before you apply
Generic professional competencies:
- Minimum 3 years of experience from working as a senior Security or Risk Manager in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
Context related skills, knowledge, behaviour, and experience:
- Experience in staff management, mentoring, couching, training and capacity building activity
- Knowledge of the Middle East and specifically Iraq context
- Knowledge of Arabic is an asset
- First-hand experience of humanitarian access negotiations in complex and insecure environments
What We Offer:
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to join our work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility: At NRC, we think outside the box. We encourage ideas and give responsibility to all employees at all levels, to help solve the complex issues that we face. You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative
- 12 months fixed term contract
- Senior grade 9 in NRC's grade structure
- An opportunity to match your career to a compelling cause
- A chance to meet and work with people who are the best in their fields
Internal candidates are encouraged to apply but we are also open to external applicants who can show a commitment to NRC and being part of a challenging, but important mission to make a difference.
Write to: firstname.lastname@example.org contact the recruitment team; quote the full name of the advert on your subject line. Applications sent via email will not be accepted. Please check your application status on your NRC application profile.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: