Protected Areas - Strategic Planning Expert
- Organization: UNEP - United Nations Environment Programme
- Location: Riyadh
- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Operations and Administrations
- Human Resources
- Security and Safety
- Closing Date: Closed
Result of Service
Establishment of a National Protected Areas Network.Work Location
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
2 monthsDuties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. The West Asia Office of UNEP delivers advisory services and capacity building support to countries to achieve environment and sustainable development objectives. This consultancy is established at the West Asia Office within the framework of the Strategic Cooperation Agreement between UNEP and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager in UNEP West Asia Office and in coordination with the National Centre for Wildlife (NCW) and the respective department in the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture in Saudi Arabia, the expert will carry- out, inter alia, the following duties and responsibilities:
1. Provide strategic and technical advice on achieving the national target of 30% protected areas coverage by the year 2030 using international best practices and guidelines associated with country-wide system plans for protected areas with particular focus on strategic alignment with the development sectors, stakeholders' identification and engagement, participative governance and decision-making approaches, and performance monitoring and quality assurance.
2. Prepare and finalize technical documents for Protected Areas System Plan in Saudi Arabia.
3. Undertake strategic analysis of national and international stakeholders related to the finalization and adoption of the protected areas system plan.
4. Define and evaluate technical policy options for the endorsement of the system plan considering the Saudi legal and institutional contexts.
5. Develop a final protected areas endorsed system plan at the national and international levels.
6. Devise the best approaches for the process of reporting on the state and trends associated with the system plan on international platforms such as the World Database for Protected Areas and the Convention on Biological Diversity.
7. Develop appropriate national communication platforms and mechanisms in regard the system plan in collaboration with other national entities and authorities including the Ministry of Environment, Water, and Agriculture, Royal Reserves, GIGA Projects, Royal Commissions, and other stakeholders and partners including sister organizations and local communities.
8. Develop strategic communication tools and products such as policy briefs, position statements, guiding principles, technical guidelines, and other best practice approaches related to protected areas identification, designation, management, and monitoring.
9. Develop a framework for monitoring and reporting on protected areas management effectiveness using international best practice guidelines and standards.
10. Provide technical guidance NCW communication with other international organizations related to the protected areas mandate including IUCN, WCPA (Global and Regional Program and the Green List Initiative), UNESCO (World Heritage Program, MAB Program, GEOPARKS Program), and the RAMSAR Convention.
Outputs / Work Assignments (Deliverables):
1. An inception report on protected areas system plan.
2. Technical guidelines and policy options for protected areas system plan.
3. Monthly and quarterly reports of national protected areas planning, management, and monitoring.
4. Training manuals and courses for strategic planning for protected areas.
5. Capacity building programme for National Centre for Wildlife.
6. Final report.
Master's degree in biodiversity, ecosystems, protected areas, environmental science, natural sciences, or related fields is required. PHD is an asset.
Minimum of 10 years of professional technical experience in the field of protected areas is required.
Knowledge of protected areas in Saudi Arabia is an asset.
Experience working in West Asia is desirable.
Fluency in written and spoken English is required. Knowledge of Arabic is desirable.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: