E (most hardship)
Non FamilyDanger Pay
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Regular > Regular Assignment
February 16, 2023
Associate Finance Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
In the Regional Bureaux, the incumbent works under the direct supervision of the Regional Controller or Senior Finance Officer and in functional coordination with DFAM¿s Accounts and Financial Service (AFS). In the Country or Multi-Country Offices, the incumbent may be supervised by a Senior Finance Officer, Assistant Representative (Admin), Head of Sub-Office, or other senior positions as delegated by the Representative.
The incumbent is responsible for co-ordinating, guiding, monitoring, advising on, and supporting the financial operations in the area of responsibility (AoR). With the objective to safeguard and optimize the utilization of UNHCR¿s monetary and physical resources, the incumbent contributes to the establishment of efficient and reliable mechanisms and processes to ensure compliance with UN financial regulations and UNHCR¿s rules, policies and procedures including, and not limited to, accounts payable and treasury processes, accounting, and implementation of internal control mechanisms, including support to oversight and audit functions.
The incumbent may support the supervisor with the identification and management of risks under their responsibility in close coordination with the Risk Management and Compliance Advisor. In the Regional Bureaux, the incumbent supports the work of the Regional Controller with authority to discuss problems and seek common ground on which to recommend solutions based on predetermined guidelines provided by higher authority.
The incumbent may directly supervise national professional and general service staff.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Contribute to the assessment of budgetary needs for administrative budgets (ABOD); monitor and control ABOD expenditure.
- Analyse, evaluate and control disbursements/receipts, as well as expenditure variances against approved budgets;
- Review and approve vouchers, including ABOD and project disbursements.
- Propose monthly cash requirements for the Office, and ensure adequate and timely replenishments of funds.
- Contribute to the preparation and processing of monthly accounts.
- Provide financial status reports to supervisors.
- Analyse and evaluate all financial reports produced on a regular basis.
- Maintain effective business relationships with local banks.
- Assist in ensuring compliance with UNHCR and UN Financial Regulations and Rules, policies and procedures.
- Ensure that payments are effectuated by the monthly deadline.
- Ensure that monthly accounts are correct and approved, and ensure timely monthly bank reconciliations, including open items, review and clearance of unwanted requisitions and PO balances.
- Conduct regular checks of petty cash and cash accounts.
- Perform project control functions, in the absence of a dedicated project control position.
- Participate in the physical verification of UNHCR¿s local property, plant and equipment (PPE) and inventories.
- Verify that all financial transactions are correct and in accordance with UNHCR rules and procedures.
- In the absence of a senior finance position, ensure compliance with applicable financial rules, policies and procedures.
- In the absence of a senior finance position, certify country-level financial expenditure reports submitted to the regional office or Headquarters.
Regional financial services applicable to positions in the Regional Bureau only
- In coordination with relevant services in HQ, and to improve cost-effectiveness and process efficiency for operations, assist with the implementation and management of regional finance-related services such as: vendor and other related master data management and maintenance, invoice posting, travel claim processing, payments, bank reconciliations, accounting housekeeping and period cut-off activities, donor financial reporting, etc.
- Make proposals for the continuous improvement of financial monitoring and control mechanisms, including the streamlining of financial systems and procedures.
- In coordination with DFAM¿s Change Management and Field Support Section and the Global Learning and Development Centre, identify and provide training on accounting matters, and recommend or develop training modules as necessary, aiming at the development of financial management skills.
- In close liaison with DFAM¿s System Administration Section and other divisions as necessary, assist the provision and planning of activities for rollout of new processes or systems; assist the Regional Controller in monitoring the implementing internal control mechanisms and compliance with UNHCR's financial policies and procedures in the region.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P2/NOB - 3 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 2 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 1 year relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Accounting, Finance, Public or Business Administration, Economics
or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
Professional accounting, auditing or financial management designation (CPA/ACCA/CIA/CMA or equivalent).
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Work experience in the field of accounting/finance, project management, business analysis, quality assurance and/or risk management. Good knowledge of, and experience in working with, international accounting and auditing standards, with a minimum of 1 year of practical experience in the audit process and/or in financial statements preparation. Working experience with accrual accounting (such as IPSAS or IFRS). Experience with financial modules of a major Enterprise Resource Planning system (such as PeopleSoft, SAP or Oracle). Good understanding of project and resource management.
Good knowledge of UNHCR systems (such as Focus and MSRP). Excellent knowledge of United Nations financial rules and procedures.
FI-ERP Financial Management (SAP, Oracle, PeopleSoft, Workday and other)
FI-Financial Accrual Accounting under internationally accepted standards (IFRS,IPSAS,etc)
DM-Data Collection and Analysis
EL-Monitoring and Evaluation
FI-Financial Accounting - Modified cash-based accounting as per international standards
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
The candidate should have a good understanding of finance rules and regulations.
The incumbent should have prior experience and acceptances in providing support and oversight for a Sub Office and Field Offices under its supervision as well as maintaining coordination with country office.
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
Establishing and maintaining safe and healthy environment is a priority for the operation. Therefore, attention to occupational health and safety issues with regards to illness and injury in the workplace and guesthouse is managed by admin unit and under the direct supervision of the Head of Office. This includes taking measures and improving living conditions to limit hazards that could lead to physical or mental harm. The workspace and guesthouse have been renovated to improve quality living including the provision of Gem facility and space for recreational activities in the guesthouse.
Nature of Position:
Under the supervision of the Head of SO, the Associate Finance Officer will be in charge of co-ordinating, guiding, monitoring, advising on, and supporting the financial operations in the area of responsibility (AoR). With the objective to safeguard and optimize the utilization of UNHCR’s monetary and physical resources, the incumbent contributes to the establishment of efficient and reliable mechanisms and processes to ensure compliance with UN financial regulations and UNHCR’s rules, policies and procedures including, and not limited to, accounts payable and treasury processes, accounting, and implementation of internal control mechanisms, including support to oversight and audit functions. Furthermore, the Associate Finance Officer will provide financial support for the FO in Herat.
Living and Working Conditions:
Afghanistan is a high-risk country with a very complex operational environment, characterized by uncertainty and frequent security incidents. Movement by all personnel is restricted, coordinated and monitored by the security officers. UNHCR Sub Office Kandahar and its guesthouse is located in Mohmmad Jan Khan Watt, near Mirwais Hospital District 6. The office comprises two building for office space and 8 fully furnished bedrooms for staff accommodation with each room having its own washroom. UNHCR Field Office Kandahar is within Kandahar city. UNAMA compound and other UN agencies are 7 KMs distance from UNHCR. Two consulates are currently operational ‘Iran and Pakistan’. A daily radio check is mandatory. All movements are strictly by Armoured Vehicle or by air, UNHCR FOK is covering five provinces in the Southern Region, where the staff are required to conduct field visits occasionally either by road or by air. FO Herat is planned to be covered by FO Kandahar in 2023. A 4-week R&R cycle apply in Afghanistan. Considering the restrictions on staff movement, it is crucial to demonstrate and maintaining a positive attitude when confronted with restraints in social life. Staff interested in the position should be mentally, psychologically, and physically fit and ready to face situations when required to be locked down in the compound bunkers in the office/or Guesthouse due to security incidents.
BA: Accounting (Required), BA: Business Administration (Required), BA: Economics (Required), BA: Finance (Required), BA: Public Professions (Required)
Accounting - Other, Auditing - Other, Financial Management - Other
Accountability, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Empowering & building trust, Organizational awareness, Planning & organizing, Teamwork & collaboration
Add.2 to Bi-annual Compendium 2022 - Part B
This position requires Functional Clearance