Junior Community Manager
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Beirut
- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Social Affairs
- Architecture, Building and Property Management
- Civil Society and Local governance
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date:
Hardship Level (not applicable for home-based)C
Family Type (not applicable for home-based)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Target Start Date
February 16, 2023
Job Posting End Date
1. General Background
Terms of Reference
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is mandated to lead and coordinate international action to protect and assist refugees and other persons of concern.
Private Sector Partnerships Service (PSP) sits within UNHCR's Division of External Relations (DER) and is responsible for mobilizing resources from the private sector for refugees. UNHCR have developed a $1 Billion Private Sector Fundraising Strategy 2018-2025. This strategy focuses on both Individual Giving and Private Sector Partnerships and identifies priority fundraising markets and regions.
Individual Giving (IG) is targeted at the general public to secure the support of individuals through regular, unrestricted donations, cash appeals and legacies. The aim is to generate both monthly and one-time donations from individuals using various channels and methods including direct mail, face-to-face fundraising, telemarketing, digital fundraising, DRTV and emergency fundraising, with focus on strong donor loyalty and lifetime value.
The purpose is to maximize the donor base from the individual giving (IG) for UNHCR, those with the ability to provide donations of between $1 to $10.000 per year to UNHCR.
The Community Manager will be working to support the entire MENA units: IG, Campaigns and Advocacy, Face to Face teams and PPH) –along with day to day content creation, content moderation on all fundraising content, supporting influencers social/digital activation, partnership visibility, blog posting, social listening, including monthly reports.
2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Under the supervision of the Associate Digital Engagement Officer the community manager is expected to provide support in the following areas:
• Assist in posting on UNHCR and VoicesWithRefugees media accounts include scheduling content.
• Sending briefs to the content team for engagement content.
• Moderate comments message while exercising outstanding editorial skills and political judgement in order to ensure that UNHCR's reputation is not damaged.
• Strengthen use of UNHCR's core social media accounts (on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Tiktok)
• Ensure high-level message and branding consistency in social media content and platforms.
• Assist in establishing a clear performance and measurement metrics for all social media accounts and campaigns to effectively inform results-based decision making and to monitor and drive the effective use of resources.
• Engage key audiences, both in everyday communications work and around major media and advocacy campaigns.
• Support in production, posting and evaluation of social media content on its PSP channels as well as on partner channels with an eye to supporting media, advocacy, fundraising and donor relations objectives.
• Demonstrate diplomatic skills, political skills and judgment, understanding of UNHCR's external relationships.
• Assist in engaging key audiences, both in everyday communications work and around major media and advocacy campaigns.
• Assist in the production, posting and evaluation of social media content on its PSP channels as well as on partner channels with an eye to supporting media, advocacy, fundraising and donor relations objectives.
• Exercise excellent writing skills and political judgement in order to ensure that UNHCR's reputation is not damaged.
3. Monitoring and Progress Controls
• Meet the fundraising target of each campaign in both income and number of donors.
• Meet the KPIs set for the pool of donors the agent is contacting: Retention rate, average donation, upgrade percentage, second gift percentage
4. Qualifications and Experience
a. Education (Level and area of required and/or preferred education)
• Successful completion of Secondary school education with further studies in Business, marketing, Digital marketing, communication, social media.
• Preferably with a BA.
b. Work Experience
• Minimum one-year (added advantage with a bachelor’s degree) years of relevant work experience,
• Previous experience in working on social media platforms (writing, creating content, posting, answering people).
c. Key Competencies
• Scripting - capable of tailoring the script (Arabic and English) based on each conversation and the ability to have interactive (not lecture style) conversations.
• Excellent knowledge in social media (Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Youtube)
• Emotional Intelligence and good communication – able to communicate the passion and the urgency of their proposition and trigger inspiration and empathy (strong story-telling techniques are desired)
• Effective Objection handling – able to acknowledge objections and deal with rejection without becoming discouraged
• Cultural awareness and sensitivity – ability to adequately respond to and interact with the nuances of the Gulf culture and communities
• Awareness human rights and humanitarian principles
• Self-driven with a positive attitude, professional, reliable and punctual
• A team player and driven by numbers and targets
Standard Job Description
Other informationJunior Community Manager (Fluent in Arabic/English writing.)This position doesn't require a functional clearance