Director of Emergency unit (Maternity leave cover)
- Organization: IsraAID
- Location: Ta
- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Medical Practitioners
- Humanitarian Aid and Coordination
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: Closed
The Director of Emergency Programming & Operations (EMOP) is a senior leading position at the
Programs department in charge of the execution of the organization’s Emergency vision and
mission. The Director of EMOP oversees all aspects related to Emergency programming and
operational set ups and the streamlining of organization global operations in all country offices.
The Director of EMOP is a hands-on position for an experienced leader who will lead and oversee
the set up of new Emergency missions while spearheading the EMOP department development
including direct management of all functions and staff.
- Launch, lead and oversee IsraAID emergency missions in accordance with the organization’s theory of change, emergency methodologies and policies.
- Strengthen emergency programming mechanisms and ensure constant improvement of emergency programming implementation through evidence based approach, including
- protocols for programmatic, technical and operational aspects of the emergency mission’s cycle (preparedness pre, during and post mission requirements).
- Head the Logistics forum, manage the operations team, setting the mandate for logistics priorities.
- Streamline and develop field operations policies and its implementation.
- Oversee operations support to country offices.
1. Launch, lead and oversee IsraAID emergency mission in accordance with the organization’s theory of change, emergency methodologies and policies.
- Provide insights and recommendations on emerging emergencies to SMT.
- Lead the facilitation of pre-mission activities in HQ mission deployments in accordance with workflow and minimal requirements.
- Launch new missions, while spearheading the assessments, partnerships, program design and operations.
- Directly manage the HoM in HQ emergency deployed missions
- Lead the coordination of mission deployment with the respective HQ departments.
- Visit and provide hands on support to emergency missions as required.
- Oversee the missions’ timely implementation and submission of operational requirements including administrative, financial, procurement and programmatic aspects from mission set up to mission closing.
- Provide technical support to emergency missions in Country Offices.
- Work closely with Regional Directors to Provide professional guidance and develop emergency capacities in their respective regions.
- Oversee the country set up process and handover of humanitarian missions to the Regions while transitioning to long term missions.
2. Strengthen emergency programming mechanisms and ensure constant improvement of emergency programming implementation through evidence-based approach, including protocols for programmatic, technical, and operational aspects of the emergency mission’s cycle (preparedness pre, during and post mission requirements).
- Directly manage the Emergency coordinator and the programmatic team.
- Lead and the development of programmatic tools and protocols supporting program design, implementation, evaluation and reporting mechanisms in emergency setting.
- Lead the development of strategy, guidelines, log frame and toolkits for emergency missions per sector.
- Compile written protocols and workflows for emergency programming and implementation.
- Inventory maintenance - continuously oversee & maintain the emergency storage and pre-positioned inventory, including managing and overseeing its budget implementation.
- MEAL – ensure the appropriate data collection, processing, learning and evaluation of Emergency missions and settings. - - - - Develop mission assessment tool, enabling the quantitative and qualitative analysis of the emergency mission during time.
- Lead and implement capacity building plan to IsraAID staff at all levels in ongoing missions.
- Develop, certify, and maintain the capacity of IsraAID Emergency roster
- Develop and implement an emergency community plan, including advisory board, roster and core group communities.
3. Head the Logistics forum, manage the operations team, setting the mandate for logistics priorities.
- Lead the Programs logistics forum.
- Manage the operations team and implementation of the operations aspects and activities including but not limited to the Senior Operation Officer, Security manager & Logistics officer.
- Act as the focal person for all operational decision making in accordance with protocols and immediate requirements.
4. Streamline and develop field operations policies and its implementation.
- Liaise, develop, and coordinate with other HQ departments emergency operations protocols for preparedness, set up, implementation and closing of emergency missions.
- Develop, maintain, train on, and oversee localization of field operations policies including but not limited to; accommodation policies, asset management and inventory, safety security policies and plans, flight & travel policy etc.
- Compile and ensure access of IsraAID missions to all IsraAID field related operational policies.
5. Oversee operations support to country offices.
- Oversee and coordinate the setups and closings of country offices,
- Manage relationships with and utility of in-kind providers including but not limited to; flights, accommodation, international shipping, etc.
- Oversee coordination and implementation logistical field support to ongoing activities.
- Have a thorough understanding of IsraAID mission statement, organizational identity and theory of change.
- Raise the profile of IsraAID, its work and country missions through active participation in Interaction forum, and external events when possible.
- Serve as advocate for the country missions and the organization
- Perform other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed above are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
- MA in international development/humanitarian aid studies/ emergency response studies/ public health/ migration studies or related disciplines
- At least 8 years of progressed experience in international development/humanitarian aid in leadership positions.
- At least 5 years of working experience in non-governmental organization.
- At least 2 years of management in international development field operation.
- Outstanding organizational, and operational management and team leadership skills.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently.
- Proven experience in set up of international operation/NGO /programs.
- Proven experience in leadership of partnerships and programs development.
- Proven experience in budget planning and management (of at least 3 m USD)
- Proven ability to develop policies, procedures and workflows for operations in humanitarian settings.
- Languages- Proficiency in English. French/Spanish- advantage
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to travel for 2-3 weeks travel per quarter.
- Excellent ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast paced and constantly changing environment.
- Be flexible, adaptive, possess the ability to cope in stressful situation
- Be hands on, creative and possess the ability to work with limited resources
- Full time position.
- Office working days Sunday- Thursday.
- Commitment to align with Israel working hours as required, and no less than 5 hours daily.
- At least 3 working days per week from IsraAID office (if based in Israel)
- If home based- willingness to travel at least 3 times per year to the HQ.
- Minimum 2-3 deployments during the year of up to 3 weeks each.
- Contract period: 7 months with option for extension
- Location: IsraAID HQ, TA and Emergency missions.
- Start: April/May 2023
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: