Field Security Associate
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Pemba
- Grade: Administrative support - Administrative Services and Support - Generally no need for Higher Education
- Administrative support
- Security and Safety
- Closing Date: Closed
Background and Organizational Context
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Since 2017, the Province of Cabo Delgado in Mozambique has been facing an escalating conflict, compounded by a fragile situation of chronic underdevelopment, consecutive climatic shocks, and recurrent disease outbreaks. As a result of this circumstance, UNDP established and began implementing the Cabo Delgado Stabilization Programme.
UNDP’s stabilization engagement in Mozambique is part and parcels of the Government’s priorities in Cabo Delgado, as embodied in the reconstruction plan (PRCD), and contributing to the Strategy for the Resilience and Integrated Development of the North (ERDIN) as well as to the Recovery and Peacebuilding Assessments (RPBA). Along those lines, the present programme is fully integrated with other components of UNDP cooperation in the country, as part of its new 2022-2026 programme cycle, with particular complementarity with UNDP’s decentralization programming, as well as with its program on the Rule of Law and Access to Justice and social cohesion and peacebuilding work.
Under the direct supervision of the Operations Manager, with matrix reporting to Head of Pemba Sub-Office, and the general guidance of the Sub Regional Security Specialist East/South Africa, the Field Security Associate ensures the overall smooth functioning of the UN Security Management System in Cabo Delgado by providing support to the RR/HoO/OM/SRSS. The incumbent independently builds networks and maintains liaison with host government security organizations and commercial/private sector companies utilized at UN offices and residences, assists in preparation and reports, facilitates security awareness level, and conducts necessary trainings.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Technical assistance on security matters in Cabo Delgado
- Provide technical support to the CSA/SA/FSCO on security matters;
- Contribute to the development, implementation and revision of the UN Cabo Delgado/Mozambique security plans;
- Collaborate with UNDSS and other Agency focal points for consistent and coordinated security management;
- Collect and disseminate security management information and training materials;
- Facilitate liaison with local security and police officials on issues related to the safety and security of the UN staff and their dependents.
- Regular maintenance of Threat and Risk Assessment information
- Collect, update and communicate country security related information;
- Assist/provide inputs to the United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) in preparing a comprehensive threat and risk assessment of Cabo Delgado to include all locations where UNDP staff, dependents and equipment are present;
- Provide intelligence, threat and risk assessment, and recommendations during UN events and VIP visits;
- May be requested to provide assistance at SMT meetings, in the absence of CSA/SA/FSCO.
- Regular update of the Security Plan for Cabo Delgado and inputs to Business Continuity plans
- Ensure that UN procedures in all locations in Cabo Delgado conform to the UN Security Framework;
- Provide inputs and assist CSA/SA/FSCO to establish, maintain and update the country specific security plan and UN entities contingency plans;
- Ensure that all UNDP personnel are included in the Security Plan of the respective duty stations;
- Assist the CSA/SA/FSCO in monitoring and complying with the Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS) established for the duty station; maintain, update and disseminate country-specific security documents (MOSS, Security Plan, Security Risk Assessment, Crisis Management Plan etc.) to the UNDP staff;
- Prepare and maintain updated phone tree, warden system or any other tool to be used for avalanche information distribution in emergency situations and or necessary staff and dependents evacuation.
- Local security-relevant networks
- Keep regular contacts with local Police in Cabo Delgado and other Mozambican cities with UN presence to ensure that security threat and risk assessment is timely updated;
- Liaise and coordinate as appropriate with the host government security organizations, including national and local provincial authorities, military and police, as well as non-governmental organizations and other non-State actors in the area of operation;
- Liaise with local medical services or non-governmental organization to organize security guards and staff first aid training;
- Liaise with local suppliers and the host government representatives regarding the upkeep of security systems already implemented in the UN premises and future expansion and development.
- Information and Knowledge Management
- Contribute to reporting security incidents affecting UN personnel, dependents, offices and assets, and prepare security reports for review, such as the Security Incident Report, and staffing and dependent lists;
- Regular training to Security Guards and UN staff;
- Organize and conduct training courses on security awareness and preparedness;
- Organize and conduct necessary refreshment training to Security Guards;
- Prepare and provide the security briefing for new staff and visitors to Cabo Delgado.
- Management & Administration
- Manage the staff of the UNDP security team and any short-term consultants/ staff, ensuring smooth team work, and flexible assignment of responsibilities to meet fluctuating client demands, including annual performance evaluation for team staff;
- Lead the security team’s work planning; submit, monitor and report on team’s budget, ensuring appropriate reporting on results;
- Solicit client feedback to continually enhance the level of service;
- Leverage IT systems and functionalities to simplify data management and facilitate access to relevant prescriptive content and best practices;
- Ensure team staff have the knowledge and systems required to carry out their responsibilities, including through regular individual consultations/briefings; periodic section meetings, the performance evaluation of section staff, and on-the-job and formal learning experiences.
- Ensure effective management and supervision of security systems/equipment related contracts and agreements;
- Provide necessary input to UN premises potential move or expansion projects in various Districts regarding security technology used and advise on possible improvement;
- Provide general administrative assistance and perform other duties as assigned.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Security Risk Management: Ability to assess threats and risks, identify and oversee implementation of mitigation measures, including ability to design and test security plans
Planning and Organizing: Demonstrated ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor his/her own work plan with minimum supervision. Ability to work under pressure or in crisis situations. Availability to travel within the area of responsibility.
Creativity: Ability to actively seek to improve services, offer new and different options to solve problems/meet client needs, and promote and persuade others to consider new ideas
Teamwork: Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to listen and work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
Security Training: Ability to design, contribute to, and administer meaningful security training programmes/courses
Required Skills and Experience
• Secondary education.
• University Degree in Political Science, Military Studies, Security Management, Management or a relevant field is highly desirable, but is not a requirement
Min. years of relevant work experience
- 7 years of relevant experience in police, military and/or national security context in Mozambique;
- Knowledge of host country safety codes;
- In-depth knowledge of security management and risk management;
- Experience in HF and VHF radio operation is desirable;
- Solid computers skills (MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint);
- Possession of a valid driver’s license;
- Ability to travel;
- Physically fit.
Desired skills in addition to the competencies covered in the Competencies section
• Formal training in security risk management an asset;
• Direct experience with the local police authorities at a senior level is a distinct advantage;
• Prior experience with the UN system or an international NGO is desirable but not mandatory;
• Knowledge of Windows-based packages/applications;
• Experience in diplomatic security, protection and intelligence considered an asset;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Portuguese.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: