Consultant to Conduct Assessment on GEDSI Mainstreaming in ICS production Centres and develop action plan to mainstream GEDSI
Lao | Vientiane
- Organization: SNV - Netherlands Development Organisation
- Location: Lao | Vientiane
- Grade: Consultancy - Consultant - Contractors Agreement
- Legal - Broad
- Closing Date: Closed
SNV Netherlands Development Organisation, with support from Energising Development (EnDev), has been implementing Clean Cooking program in the Mekong Region (including Laos) for the last four years. The aim of the program is to improve livelihoods and enhance the quality of life of people through sustainable access to clean cooking solutions that reduce Indoor Air Pollution (IAP) and protect environmental resources. EnDev’s approach in the Mekong region is market development –i.e., expanding the market in cookstoves and ensuring no one is left behind. The project contemplates on mainstreaming Gender Equality, Disability and Social Inclusion (GEDSI) in all segments of Improved Cookstove (ICS) markets: supply, demand and enabling environment.
SNV is planning to hire a consultant to conduct in depth study to identify the barriers and drivers on mainstreaming GEDSI in ICS production centres and develop a comprehensive package to address those barriers.
Objective and Scope of the works
The consultant will conduct an assessment in ICS production centres identifying the specific needs, issues and concerns of women, persons with disability and other marginalized people. The study will analyse further to identify the barriers and drivers, and then develop an action plan with possible intervention measures to mainstream GEDSI and achieve equitable and sustainable outcomes.
This action plan document would be considered as a roadmap for designing various activities in relation to mainstreaming GEDSI. This document would also work as a baseline to measure the achievement of each subsequent activities.
- Review previous GESI training report and EnDev III Project document, and EnDev gender strategy and guideline.
- Develop research methodology, tools and templates.
- Identify key informants to collect the information. Key informants: ICS producers, employees, ex-employee, project partners (ARMI, LWU) and other relevant stakeholders.
- Evaluate the impact of previous GESI training held during 2022.
- Preparation of inception report which shall include Introduction/Literature review, research methodology, sample size, tools and templates, field visits plan, etc.
- Conduct field study to collect the primary data using various tools (observation, KII, FGD, consultation meetings, etc). Collect gender disaggregated data (gender, location, (dis)ability, wealth, education, age, caste/ethnicity, race, sexuality) under the different domains of GEDSI (access, decision-making, participation, systems and well-being). Identify constraints and opportunities to mainstream GEDSI. Capture any success or failure story in relation to GEDSI.
- Prepare report formulating GEDSI responsive strategy and integrated action plan to mainstream GEDSI in ICS production centres. Prepare presentation slides.
- The consultant shall develop and share the outline of research methodology in the proposal and detailed research methodology in the inception report.
- Total number of producers, their locations, number of female employees, etc are presented in Annex-1.
- Sample size for the study of ICS production centres should be around 50%. Sample size should represent at least one producer from each province. There are altogether 34 producers, and they are based in six different provinces.
- Qualitative and quantitative data will be collected from production centres. In case of evaluation of previous training, only qualitative data will suffice. Consultant shall also conduct interview with Lao Women Union, Lao Youth Union and local partner (ARMI) to collect the information.
- The inception report shall be submitted before conducting the actual field survey. The inception report shall include literature review; research methodology; sample size, tools and templates, field visits plan, etc.
The deliverable of this assignment comprises of:
- Inception Report
- Draft Report (few case stories to be included in the report)
- Final Report
- Presentation slides
The assignment should be completed before 15th May 2023. The consultant should provide an estimation of the number of days needed to complete the assignment
Field study shall be done by the end of April and final report by mid-May.
The consultant should provide the estimated budget clearly specifying Daily rate of consultant, DSA, Accommodation, Travel Cost and other expenses.
SNV will provide the required information such as ICS project information, ICS producers, SNV’s GESI strategy and approach, previous GESI related studies and activities, and any other relevant documents. SNV will also introduce consultant to partner organization (ARMI) who are responsible for field works.
The selection of the consultant will be determined based on previous experience and skills of the proposed consultant, and an interview. S/he will have following qualifications and competencies:
- University degree in Human & Social Sciences, Gender Studies, or a related field.
- At least 5 years of professional work experience in conducting GESI analysis and/or evaluation, and socio-economic surveys with expertise in gender/social inclusion related work;
- Past GESI related work experience in improved or clean cookstove sectro will be given priority
- Strong technical expertise in Gender Equality and Social Inclusion.
- Good understanding of the political and social context and gender dynamics in Laos
- Good knowledge of SNV policies and strategies on Gender Equality and Social Inclusion.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Experience working in an international NGO environment is highly desirable.
- Fluent in written and oral Laos and English.
Interested consultant / firm should submit the letter of interest (LoI) highlighting their understanding of the assignment by clicking on the "I'm interested" button before April 3, 2023. The LoI should also include following:
- Total Cost for the assignment (with cost breakdown of consultant's daily rate, DSA, Travel Cost and other expense (if any))
- A recent CV of consultant highlighting similar assignments carried out in the past.
Detail ToR and other information of the assignment can be requested by writing to with subject line “ToR - Assessment on GEDSI”.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: