Nutrition Nurses - Grade NOA
- Organization: WHO - World Health Organization
- Location: Unity
- Grade: Junior level - NO-A, National Professional Officer - Locally recruited position
- Public Health and Health Service
- Medical Practitioners
- Closing Date: Closed
The prolonged political conflict that started in 2013, and the subsequent occurrence of sub-national violence, flooding in the country led to continues complex humanitarian crisis including disease outbreaks, acute food insecurity, and their associated public health consequences.
Food insecurity and malnutrition have dramatically worsened in the Country resulting in to devastating impact on already vulnerable population, global acute malnutrition rates, spreading of communicable diseases and on health services coverage and effectiveness. Millions of people are facing severe levels of food insecurity in the country, the latest released Integrated Food security Phase Classification (IPC) Analysis in November 2022 showed an estimated 6.3 million (51% of the population) people likely to face high level of acute food insecurity (IPC Phase 3 or above) ) in December 2022- March 2023, this is expected to deteriorate in the projection period of April-July 2023 to 7.76 people. In addition, 1.4 million <5 children and 737,812 pregnant and lactating women will need treatment for acute malnutrition by June 2023.
Objectives of the Programme
WHO aims to reduce the health impact of the nutrition crisis through integrated health and nutrition interventions, focusing on quality life-saving services in stabilization centers in areas with high levels of acute food insecurity and acute malnutrition in South Sudan. WHO will collaborate with partners in supporting the counties to increase the availability of essential nutrition interventions for effective prevention, detection and treatment of malnutrition.
Summary of Assigned Duties (Describe what the incumbent has to do to achieve main objectives; include main achievements expected):
Under the overall guidance of the WHO Country Representative and direct supervision of the EPR Team Lead, the incumbent will undertake the following tasks under the guidance of the WCO WHE Nutrition focal point.
The main tasks to be undertaken include:
- To conduct on job mentorship for health workers in stabilization centers in the respective states
- Provide nursing care for severely malnourished children including weight record, give oral drugs, supervise intra venous fluids, assess clinical signs and fill the critical care pathway with all the routine information in stabilization centers.
- To counsel and encourage mothers/caregivers on the emotional needs and sensory stimulation.
- To support mothers and care givers in appropriate feeding and caring practices for infants and young children
- Provide health and nutrition education including hygiene and sanitation key messages
- Provide technical support to SMoH and partners to provide life-saving intervention in the stabilization centers
- To ensure proper reporting on the stabilization center daily and monthly registers
- To perform any other duties assigned by WHO related to the nutrition in emergency, as requested
Essential: University Degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Nursing, Health &Nutrition.
Essential: At least two years’ experience on inpatient management of severe acute malnutrition with medical complications in stabilization centers in South Sudan, trained on in Inpatient Management of Severe Acute Malnutrition with Medical Complications, based on WHO/MoH Guidelines 2018.
Desirable: Experience in working in the stabilization centers with NGOs or Government.
- Communicating in a credible and effective way
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Fostering Teamwork and integration
- Producing results
- Promoting WHO’s position in health leadership
Functional Knowledge and Skills:
- Technical skills in Inpatient Management of SAM with medical complications.
- Ability to work effectively with colleagues
- Proven ability to conduct on job mentorship
- Knowledge or sound understanding of the impact of acute malnutrition on child’s health and survival, and the burden on populations.
- Excellent interpersonal communication, writing skills, discretion, tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to travel on mission to remote locations in South Sudan.
Excellent knowledge of English and good knowledge of Arabic and other national dialects used in the locations.
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- Staff members in other duty stations are encouraged to apply.
- For information on WHO's operations please visit: http://www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO's workforce adheres to the WHO Values Charter and is committed to put the WHO Values into practice.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This is a National Professional Officer position. Therefore, only applications from nationals of the country where the duty station is located will be accepted. Applicants who are not nationals of this country will not be considered.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: