National Consultant – Warehouses Construction, Islamabad, Pakistan (duration 11.5 months)
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Islamabad
- Grade: Consultancy - Consultant - Contractors Agreement
- Architecture, Building and Property Management
- Infrastructure and Urban-Rural development
- Closing Date: 2023-06-08
UNICEF Pakistan is looking for a seasoned Civil engineer to work as a Consultant/Civil/Building Engineer to oversee the construction of warehouses in the 3 locations i.e. Karachi, Lahore and Lasbela for a period of 11.5 months.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Commitment!
Pakistan was the sixth country in the world to sign and ratify the Convention on the Rights of the Child, less than one year after it was adopted by the United Nations General Assembly in 1989. However, children and adolescents living in Pakistan still face acute challenges.
UNICEF supports the Government of Pakistan to accelerate progress for children, work to achieve Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and help children realize their rights under the Convention on the Rights of Children. This will be made through, among others things, strong partnerships with provincial authorities, teachers and health professionals, frontline workers and social mobilizers, communities and families, and of course, the children and adolescents themselves.
In particular, UNICEF will work so that:
- Every child survives and thrives -- being in good health, immunized, protected from polio, and accessing nutritious food.
- Every child learns.
- Every child is protected from violence and exploitation and registered at birth.
- Every child lives in a safe and clean environment, with access to safe drinking water and adequate sanitation.
To learn more about UNICEF work in Pakistan, please visit the country website, www.unicef.org/pakistan, and videos on YouTube and Vimeo.
The purpose of the Consultancy is to engage a Consultant Civil/Building Engineer to oversee the construction of warehouses in the 3 locations i.e., Karachi, Lahore and Lasbela. The Engineer shall work collaboratively with supply to ensure that the contract process and specifications in the various designs are followed. The consultant shall be supervised by Immunization Specialist (vaccine management and cold chain) with technical guidance of P4 engineer in supply unit.
How can you make a difference?
The scope of work for the Consultant and payment modality shall be as follows:
- Monitor each phase of the construction in each location and ensure the conformity with the BOQ
- Ensure that all construction materials are in conformity with standards of safety and longevity for such construction
- Progress monthly report for each LOT
- Level of work done by contractor against the BOQ for LOT (Monthly over a period of 11.5 months)
- Level of completion based on timeline set for contractors (monthly over a period of 11.5 months)
Payment shall be made on monthly basis subject to completion of deliverables.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) in in Building/Civil Engineering Construction with at least 6 years’ relevant professional experience in construction and project monitoring.
*A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- Experience in managing similar multi construction sites project
- Experience in construction monitoring for health/ EPI/ pharmaceutical products an asset
- Familiar with national and each provincial construction protocol and guidelines.
- Experiences in carrying such task in any UN organization is an advantage
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English required. knowledge of a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, Accountability, and Sustainability (CRITAS).
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
UNICEF is here to serve the world’s most disadvantaged children and our global workforce must reflect the diversity of those children. The UNICEF family is committed to include everyone, irrespective of their race/ethnicity, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, socio-economic background, or any other personal characteristic.
UNICEF offers reasonable accommodation for consultants/individual contractors with disabilities. This may include, for example, accessible software, travel assistance for missions or personal attendants. We encourage you to disclose your disability during your application in case you need reasonable accommodation during the selection process and afterwards in your assignment.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
- Candidates are requested to submit their monthly fee (in PKR) for the duration of the assignment based on deliverables with the application for the consultancy.
- Consultant will be required to travel to Sindh, Baluchistan and Punjab for duration of 15 days per month.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- Candidates will be asked to share HEC verified/attested degree(s) during the recruitment process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
The selected candidate is solely responsible to ensure that the visa (applicable) and health insurance required to perform the duties of the contract are valid for the entire period of the contract. Selected candidates are subject to confirmation of fully-vaccinated status against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid-19) with a World Health Organization (WHO)-endorsed vaccine, which must be met prior to taking up the assignment. It does not apply to consultants who will work remotely and are not expected to work on or visit UNICEF premises, programme delivery locations or directly interact with communities UNICEF works with, nor to travel to perform functions for UNICEF for the duration of their consultancy contracts.