Planning and Development Consultant
Result of Service
Output 1: Country Programming Documents developed for Brazil.
Product 1.a. Overview of UNCT processes and documents that UNEP has contributed or will contribute to, their timelines, the areas/points in time which will require support or input from Divisions and other offices.
Product 1.b. Stakeholder analysis to identify key governmental and non-governmental partners for projects and campaigns.
Product 1.c. Financial analysis to identify gaps and opportunities of investments for UNEP to tackle the Triple Planetary Crisis and support the implementation of Environment and Climate Change axe of UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Frameworks (Cooperation Frameworks also referred to as UNSDCF) in Brazil.
Product 1.d. Internal and national assessment of strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats for the Triple Planetary Crisis.
Output 2: UNEP activities are integrated into UN Results/Outcome Groups on Environment and Climate Change annual work plans.
Product 2.a. Integrated analysis on mainstreaming climate, biodiversity, pollution in the country. The incumbent must use the template provided for the country program document.
Product 2.b. Country engagement plan and programming document according to the UNEP Medium Term Strategy 2022 -2025, related Programme of Work (PoW), Common Country Analysis (CCA) and the UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Frameworks (Cooperation Frameworks also referred to as UNSDCF) with the aim at supporting Brazil in addressing the Triple Planetary Crisis (TPC). The incumbent must use the template provided for the country program document.
UNEP Brazil Country Office, Brasília, Brazil
6 monthsDuties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system, and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. Our mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations. Our vision is based on developing responses and deploying solutions that aspire to achieve the long-term goals of climate stability, living in harmony with nature and achieving a pollution-free planet.
Based on long term aspirations, it focuses on three principal areas of intervention, outlined in three thematic main areas: Climate Action, Nature Action and Chemicals and Pollution action. To cement the foundations of its thematic work, UNEP will step up on the delivery of its core mandate areas, catalyzing actions outlined in two foundational subprogrammes: Science-Policy and Environmental Governance. All this work will be accelerated through a set of systemic actions focused on the delivery of impact at scale, outlined in two enabling subprogrammes: Finance and Economic Transformations and Digital Transformations.
UNEP’s Latin America and the Caribbean Office is located in Panama City, Panama and has offices in Brazil, Jamaica, Mexico and Uruguay. UNEP Country Office in Brazil is a key development partner of the Brazilian government and supports national and sub-national public and private sector institutions and civil society to achieve a more sustainable and inclusive society by creating a new relationship between people and nature, and between economic growth and environmental sustainability.
The UNEP Brazil Office works in an integrated manner with the UN Environment’s Latin America and the Caribbean Office and Regional Sub-Programme Coordinators in anchoring national programme portfolio in the design of new projects and partnerships as well in identifying funding opportunities that can address national priorities within UNSDCF’ scope.
In this context, to meet specific country needs and demands, it is important that the Country Office in Brazil develops a country programming document focusing on three mutually reinforcing work streams crafted around three areas: Climate Change; Nature; Chemicals and Pollution.
The purpose of these term of reference is the recruitment a professional who meets the requirements to act as Planning and Development consultant to conduct the development of the UNEP Country Programming documents in Brazil through an integrated analysis on mainstreaming climate, biodiversity, pollution in the country that meets UNEP MTS 2022-2025 priorities.
The incumbent will be supervised by the Brazil Office Representative and this position is based in UNEP Brazil Office in Brasilia, Brazil. The incumbent will work from Monday to Friday, 40 hours per week.
The Objective of this consultancy is to enhance Regional and Country engagement and delivery.
To develop the deliverables, the incumbent will be also responsible for the following activities:
• Conduct and provide guidance with the requests from government and the RC System for inter alia, Common Country Analysis (CCA), the UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Frameworks (Cooperation Frameworks also referred to as UNSDCF), national planning and policy documents, etc., on one hand, and coordinating inputs systematization provided by UNEP Divisions, regional offices and MEAs Secretariats administered by UNEP to link the implementation of UNEP’s Medium-term strategy and Programme of Work at the country level.
• Manage the UNEP Brazil contribution to the UNSDCF in the environment and climate change topics.
• Attend to workshops, seminars, meetings and other events, when requested.
• Undertake survey initiatives, design data collection tools; review, analyze and interpret responses, identify problems/issues.
• Provide substantive guidance to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations.
• With the collaboration of Project Officers, liaise with UNEP divisions and sub regional coordinators to gather inputs for the country programming document.
- Bachelor’s degree in sustainable development, economics, public policy, public administration, finance, natural resources management, engineering, law, social sciences or related field is required.
- Master’s degree in sustainable development, economics, public policy, public administration, sustainable finance, natural resources management, engineering, law, social sciences or related field is desirable.
-A minimum of six (6) years in the field of environmental planning and management and or results based management is required.
-Experience working with an international organization, especially UNEP, is desirable.
-Experience in organizational planning tools is desirable
-Experience working with Results-Based Management (RBM) is desirable.
- Fluent in English is required.
- Fluent in Portuguese is required.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: