Associate, Sexual & Reproductive Health, Global Markets Team
Associate, Sexual & Reproductive Health, Global Markets Team
- United States
- Program (Division)
- Global Markets Team - Global Markets Team
- Additional Location Description
- Preference is for this role to be based in the US. Alternative program country locations may be possible, pending GMT and country team leadership approval.
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to our mission of saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries. We work at the invitation of governments to support them and the private sector to create and sustain high-quality health systems.
CHAI was founded in 2002 in response to the HIV/AIDS epidemic with the goal of dramatically reducing the price of life-saving drugs and increasing access to these medicines in the countries with the highest burden of the disease. Over the following two decades, CHAI has expanded its focus. Today, along with HIV, we work in conjunction with our partners to prevent and treat infectious diseases such as COVID-19, malaria, tuberculosis, and hepatitis. Our work has also expanded into cancer, diabetes, hypertension, and other non-communicable diseases, and we work to accelerate the rollout of lifesaving vaccines, reduce maternal and child mortality, combat chronic malnutrition, and increase access to assistive technology. We are investing in horizontal approaches to strengthen health systems through programs in human resources for health, digital health, and health financing. With each new and innovative program, our strategy is grounded in maximizing sustainable impact at scale, ensuring that governments lead the solutions, that programs are designed to scale nationally, and learnings are shared globally.
At CHAI, our people are our greatest asset, and none of this work would be possible without their talent, time, dedication and passion for our mission and values. We are a highly diverse team of enthusiastic individuals across 40 countries with a broad range of skillsets and life experiences. CHAI is deeply grounded in the countries we work in, with majority of our staff based in program countries. Learn more about our exciting work: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
CHAI is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to providing an environment of fairness, and mutual respect where all applicants have access to equal employment opportunities. CHAI values diversity and inclusion and recognizes that our mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people with diverse experience, backgrounds, and culture.
Overview of the CHAI Global Markets Team
The CHAI Global Markets Team (GMT) strives to build healthier marketplaces to ensure the sustainable supply of vital medical commodities. In particular, the GMT is responsible for designing, negotiating, and supporting the effective implementation of market-shaping interventions that can increase access to critical health commodities in LMICs. Example market-shaping interventions range from traditional policy-led and grant-financed initiatives such as pooled procurement, coordinated ordering, and strategic demand forecasting to more innovative mechanisms such as volume guarantees (VGs), advance market commitments (AMCs), and working capital facilities. Example market shaping efforts that CHAI has been involved with include the following:
- CHAI and The Hepatitis Fund announce pricing breakthrough to reduce cost of viral hepatitis treatment by over 90 percent
- New agreement secures historic US$1 price for HIV self-test
- Global partnership to make available 120M affordable, quality COVID-19 rapid tests for low- and middle-income countries
- Price reduction agreement for contraceptive implants increased distribution by >50% and will save more than US$300M
The GMT collaborates with internal and external stakeholders on both the supply- and demand-sides of the market to assess the potential public-health impact of proposed market-shaping interventions. The GMT also plays a leading role within CHAI in terms of managing relationships with branded and generic pharmaceutical and diagnostics companies.
Within the GMT, the Sexual & Reproductive Health (SRH) team is composed of individuals who are passionate about increasing access to quality and affordable SRH products in LMICs. The GMT SRH team emphasizes professional development and growth for its staff and strives to foster a dynamic and meritocratic team environment. GMT managers will proactively work with the new Associate to ensure they feel both continually supported and challenged at work.
This Associate will support GMT’s SRH market shaping activities by driving forward the analytical work required to thoughtfully design and implement strategies to secure sufficient supply of critical reproductive health commodities for LMICs.
The Associate will support the collection and analysis of data from a variety of sources such as shipment data from procurers and manufacturers, demographic data from household surveys, and usage data reported by countries. The Associate will be responsible for developing rigorous market analyses (e.g., demand forecasts) to support investment decisions by suppliers, country programs, donors, and other key stakeholders. The Associate’s work will be critical to inform the GMT SRH team’s strategic decisions, such as how to secure appropriate production capacity of affordable, quality-assured contraceptives to meet forecasted demand or how to support the scale-up of new or underutilized contraceptive methods by addressing key market barriers. Through this role, the Associate will develop collaborative relationships with multiple teams within CHAI as well as with pharmaceutical suppliers and other key leaders within the SRH space.
For this Associate position, we are seeking a highly motivated, entrepreneurial individual with outstanding analytical capabilities, problem-solving skills, and communication abilities. The Associate must be comfortable synthesizing large amounts of quantitative and qualitative data into thoughtful recommendations. The Associate must also be able to function independently, balance multiple priorities simultaneously, and work effectively across a range of stakeholders.
A base location in a program country may be possible, pending GMT and country team leadership approval. This role will require up to 25% travel.
- Manage the development of databases, analyses, and frameworks to assist in identifying and prioritizing market-shaping interventions
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to analyze market outlook, supplier landscape, and production economics across a range of products
- Work with CHAI country and global teams to evaluate the potential for various market-shaping interventions using the GMT market-shaping framework and other methodologies
- Develop strategies and qualitative / quantitative analyses to support ongoing market-shaping discussions with suppliers and other key stakeholders
- Create clear communications materials based upon analyses
- Present findings of analyses to a broad range of audiences in meetings and conferences
- Support relationship management with senior-level stakeholders internal and external to CHAI
- Execute other responsibilities as needed by the team
- Bachelor’s degree and 3+ years of analytical or business experience
- Ability to think strategically, handle ambiguity, and work in a fast-paced, multicultural environment
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and quantitative modeling skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to prepare compelling presentations and written reports
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, set priorities, and drive forward work independently
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Experience and/or openness to working remotely with a decentralized team
- Available for 25% travel
- English language fluency, both written and verbal