Construction Engineer(TA -364 days), NOB; Dhaka, (Only for Bangladeshi)
The Construction Officer will be responsible for assisting the Construction Engineer in: (i) assessing, designing and estimating the budget and needs of construction activities within the framework of country programmes/projects, and (ii) planning and supervising the execution of the works. The Construction Officer will be required to carry out the duties described with minimum supervision, keeping his/her Supervisor, the Construction Engineer, informed of all developments and progress. The position will be based in Dhaka where main office is located, with travels to the Districts on a regular basis.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
MAJOR TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Construction Officer will be responsible for assisting the Construction Engineer in: (i) assessing, designing and estimating the budget and needs of construction activities within the framework of country programmes/projects, and (ii) planning and supervising the execution of the works.
The Construction Officer will be required to carry out the duties described with minimum supervision, keeping his/her Supervisor, the Construction Engineer, informed of all developments and progress.
The position will be based in Dhaka where main office is located, with travels to the Districts on a regular basis.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
In particular, the Construction Officer will provide support for all the construction activities included, but not limited, to the following projects:
Gavi Alliance Health Programme (HSS2): coordinating and monitoring the assessment and design of cold room facilities in 32 districts of the country, including their implementation in 12 Districts of the Country.
SCANU Health Programme: assisting Health colleagues with the overall implementation of 8 Special Care New-born Units, including contract administration of the design service.
4000 Percenters CHT area: support CHT Field Office with the development of a prototype design of a Para centre and its implementation.
1. Technical knowledge
- Review requests for new constructions and rehabilitation works, carry out assessments and advise on project feasibility and follow up actions.
- Assess the capacity of the construction sector in the Country to undertake the works.
- Develop sustainable cost effective solutions in line with UNICEF principles and standards and in collaboration with the relevant partners and governmental, non-governmental and community counterparts.
- Prepare budget estimates based on the prevailing market rates survey and develop strategies for the projects component execution, with the involvement of the relevant stakeholders.
- Advice on good environmental practices and controls during construction and mitigate environmental impacts of the work.
- Review construction documents (e.g. land titles, deed of donation, construction plans), ensuring that the same are free of encumbrances and fully compliance to the country rules and project's requirements and standards.
- Provide assistance in site supervision ensuring the full completion of all facilities in accordance to plans and UNICEF standards.
- Progress follow up and cross-check measurements prior to payment certification.
- Enable a smooth hand-over to local/national/government agencies, local communities, etc.
- Support the Programme team in any other matter as required.
- Assist in bidding processes, contracts preparation and close-out. Under the direction of its supervisor assist to the pre-qualification and short-listing of bidders, preparations of bids, issuance of bids, bid evaluation, recommendation of award, contracts negotiations, contract finalization and issuance.
- Assist in issuing contract amendments, verification of services delivered against contractual requirements, alignment of specifications and standards.
- Assess variation requests/time extensions from the contractors, prepare progress payment certificates for contractor payments.
- Realize syntheses of lessons learnt and best practices in procurement /contract management.
- Assist the overall project management ensuring constructions works are completed on time, within budget and up to quality standards;
- Timely report to supervisor any potential delays and/or cost overruns; identify remedial actions or alternative solutions, to accelerate/improve programme delivery.
- Assist in negotiating, within the terms and conditions of the contract, solutions to conflicts/problems arising in case of poor performance or non-compliance with contractual obligations.
- Frequently convene meetings with contractors to allow ample opportunity for the identification and early resolution of potential disputes.
- Assist in providing training and technology transfer to project partners and contractor's personnel and advise on good construction practices, good environmental management practices, and appropriate health and safety standards during construction;
4. Monitoring and Progress Controls:
- Monitor the delivery of contractual terms, certification of reports and payments.
- Monitor contractor presence and performance in the sites and monitor BoQ as per approved contract document.
- Monitor the quality of services provided by other Consultancy Firms involved in the project.
- Monitor the maintenance of buildings with focus on quality of implementation, community acceptance and participation, capacity building of maintenance teams.
- Prepare periodic progress reports (internal and external), site monitoring reports, and stakeholder meeting minutes.
- Ensure project documentation is kept, updated, properly filed; enabling real-time tracking of construction progress.
5. Promotion of UNICEF's Global Goals
- Promote the Organization's goals through advocacy and active engagement in communication, networking and participation at every opportunity.
- Represent UNICEF in the field and liaise with local authorities, community leaders and local community workers to maintain local stakeholder participation and support.
6. Communication, Collaboration, Networking and Partnership
- Collaborate with the relevant UNICEF programmes involved in construction activities, as well as other partners, to ensure that the programme needs are identified and goals achieved. Observe and report back to Supervisor any concerns about the construction process overall.
- Maintain necessary and adequate liaison with government counterparts and institutions to ensure good cooperation and communication.
- Collaborate with the Operations, programmes and Government authorities to establish and maintain sound internal controls.
Duties and tasks here above, can be subject to changes, depending on specific project/programme.
Master'Degree in Civil Engineering, Architecture or other relevant technical area.
- Work Experience
- At least 5 years of relevant working experience in a similar position.
- Good experience in supervision of civil engineering construction activities.
- Knowledge of structural engineering in the design of reinforced concrete, steel, masonry, and timber as applied to construction of buildings and structures;
- Proven ability to identify potential problems and recommend appropriate solutions manner;
- Experience in working with UN or other international development organization is an asset.
- Language Proficiency
Fluent in Bangla and in English written and spoken.
- i) Core Values (Required)
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Core Competencies (Required)
- Drive for Result
- Working With People
- Functional Competencies (Required)
- Analysing [level 1]
- Applying Technical Expertise [level 1/2]
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [level 1]
- Learning and Researching [level 2]
- Planning and Organizing [level 2]
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all Bangladeshi nationals, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Dhaka
- Grade: NO-2
- Closing Date: 2017-03-15