Kabul | Afghanistan
Oversee all programme and support activities in-country. Representing Medair in all issues relating to the country programme, the Country Director (CD) plays a key role in donor relations, security management and manages the country strategy and the project implementation in conjunction with senior field managers.
Medair is currently implementing WASH and Food security projects in Central Highlands (CHL) which also include a Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) focus and Food Assistance (cash for work) when needed. Medair AFG is also operating in the Southern region of Afghanistan implementing lifesaving nutrition projects through mobile clinics focusing on Internally Displaced People (IDP) and conflict affected communities.
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired and motivated by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure. Internationally recruited field and headquarters staff lead the organisation, supported by nationally recruited staff to implement programmes locally.
Kabul, Afghanistan with frequent visits to all field locations. Take a look at Medair’s work in Afghanistan.
As soon as possible
Initial Contract Details
Full time, minimum 24 months
Key Activity Areas
Leadership & Management
- Design, update and evaluate the country strategy, in conjunction with the relevant senior field managers and HQ staff. Take into account community needs, donor criteria and strategies and an exit strategy in order to facilitate the long-term planning and development of the projects in the country.
- Support and oversee the monitoring, evaluation and reporting on the implementation of the planned activities in accordance with the project proposals and logical frameworks and institutional donor policies and guidelines.
Donor Relations Management
- Develop and maintain contact with the in-country representatives of relevant funding partners (e.g. institutional donors or private donor organisations) in order to secure funding for the country programme.
- Oversee the drafting and presentation of all proposals, operational and financial reports related to the country programme, in collaboration with the relevant senior field managers and HQ staff.
- Develop and maintain relationships with authorities, donors, media, other NGOs and embassies with the objective of raising public awareness and identifying funding opportunities and other potential partnerships.
- Support the planning and construction of project budgets, in collaboration with relevant senior field managers and HQ staff.
- Manage the spending within the programme in-line with the approved budgets. Analyse projected cash flow, decide on the timing of major procurements, oversee audits and anticipate where over or under spending may occur and ensure necessary action is taken.
- Oversee all HR related issues within the programme including job descriptions, recruitment, performance management, development and training, health and safety, team structures, disciplinary action, etc. in collaboration with the relevant staff and managers.
- Day to day management of security and of the Security Management team (SMT).
- Coordination, information gathering and networking with other actors on security issues.
- Oversee the updating and implementation of country location security plans, guidelines and manuals.
- Ensure appropriate security procedures and awareness are maintained throughout the country programme.
- Take the lead on decision making and contingency planning during security incidents or threats.
Field - Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Live, work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings.
- Instigate and contribute to prayer times within internationally recruited staff and HQ teams.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject
- Security management training desirable
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
Experience / Competencies
- 3 years post-qualification experience in a management position
- 1 years post-qualification experience in a complex humanitarian emergency
- Advanced leadership and project management skills
- Experience in dealing with donors and government officials
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills
- Networking and advocacy skills desirable
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner; self-motivated, energetic, hard-working, servant-hearted
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills
Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) roles in the field
- Professionals with 12 months or more relevant relief or development experience (Experienced Relief Workers).
- Professionals with less than 12 months relevant relief or development experience (New Relief Workers).
- Experienced professionals in a relevant Medair sector of expertise.
- Overseas intercultural experience.
- Fully committed to the Medair values; to reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, and external contacts.
- Able to live and work in a multicultural team under difficult conditions.
- Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, honesty, and physically fit.
- Single or married (with no children under 18). If married, your spouse must also apply.
- All potential candidates for field positions must successfully complete the Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC). Information, dates and related costs can be found via this link.
Benefits Package provided to all Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS)
- Comprehensive briefing at our Swiss Headquarters, as well as an in-country briefing.
- Security training for those going to insecure environments.
- Accommodation, food, and transportation in-country.
- Return flights to and from the country programme (one return flight for every year of service).
- Rest and recuperation (R&R) leave (including travel, accommodation, and food).
- Annual leave.
- Comprehensive medical and emergency rescue insurance, with up to 60 days post-assignment coverage, including debriefing.
- Disability insurance.
Specific benefits for Experienced Relief Workers (IRS)
(Applicants with 12 months or more relevant relief or development experience)
- Salaries are based on the grade of the position and experience of the position-holder.
- Contribution matching programme for retirement savings.
- Additional contract benefit allowance for those who commit to longer contracts.
- Highly subsidised contribution to Medair ROC travel and accommodation costs.
- This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
- Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the Medair organisational values.
- Please also check out the Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
Then to apply, go to http://relief.medair.org/en/jobs/positions/country-director-afg-kabul-1/ then:
apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
- Organization: Medair
- Location: Kabul | Afghanistan
- Grade: Mid level - Internationally recruited position
- Disaster Management (Preparedness, Resilience, Response and Recovery)
- Operations and Administrations
- Closing Date: 2017-07-24