Grants Coordinator - Erbil
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
“Everyone who is fleeing the city is an extremely fragile state”
Heidi Diedrich, Country Director Iraq
The unfolding crisis in Iraq is one of the most complex humanitarian emergencies in the world today, with millions of uprooted Iraqis, and hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees. For the past several years, millions of people have been displaced from and within Iraq as a result of military operations. At the end of 2015, the Iraqi Security Forces (ISF) began a military operation to enter and retake control of parts of the country under the control of armed opposition grous, especially in the Anbar governorate. Civilians have been caught in the crossfire.
NRC has been present in Iraq since 2010, with offices located in Anbar province, Baghdad, Erbil, Dohuk and Kirkuk. We have scaled up our response across Iraq to meet the large-scale crisis facing the country, reaching Iraqis with emergency assistance and supporting Syrian refugees as they live in exile. Our goal is to always be prepared to work in new settings, so we are establishing more local partnerships in Iraq. Additionally, NRC is part of the UNICEF and WFP-led Rapid response mechanism (RRM), which enables us to reach newly displaced populations with the most urgent life-saving assistance.
Today, NRC is one of the biggest cash providers in Iraq. Our emergency assistance also includes distributing food rations, hygiene kits, water and basic non-food items (NFIs). In the winter months, we also provide blankets and heaters. We pay particular attention to gender equality and ending gender-based violence (GBV).
More recently NRC in Iraq has been responding to the ongoing Mosul crisis, where everyone who is fleeing the city is in an extremely fragile state
Grants Coordinator - Erbil
Role Specific Information
- Ensure that programmes, M&E, finance, logistics and other support functions are aware of requirements and conditions of grant agreements and contracts, through the use of grant opening/mid/closing meetings and other methods.
- Ensure grant coordination systems and processes are successfully implemented across the life of the grant.
- Ensure key controls and tools are in place and maintained daily to support effective management of the funding portfolio and compliance with donor requirements.
- Maintain donor requirement records, and NRC Iraq documentation and process tracking system.
- Coordinate the preparation of concept papers and proposals in close cooperation with Core Competency Specialist Programme Managers, M&E Manager, Support, Finance departments, and relevant departments within the global NRC structure and ensuring timely delivery for the final review.
- Ensure conformity between NRC Iraq’s proposal and NRC’s Mandatory indicators & Macro Log-frames, NRC Policies, NRC Iraq's Country Strategy, and donor rules.
- Ensure that the parts of the budget related to programme outputs correspond with the proposal narrative before submission for review to the Grants Manager.
- Coordinate the narrative reports preparation and development (donor reports and internal reports), and coordinate the process of gathering information for the reports, in collaboration with Programme/Project Managers and the M&E coordinator to ensure accurate, transparent and timely delivery of narrative and financial reports to the Grants Manager, and ultimately the donor.
- Ensure copies of donor concept notes, proposals, contracts and reports are correctly filed on NRC’s filing system and also kept in hard copy.
- Capacity building and support to the grants officer, training in the field offices in the areas of proposal development, report writing, and donor rules and regulations.
- Support grants manager on daily adhoc tasks.
- Work with the Grants Manager to support implementing partners with reviewing of budgets, expenditure, donor rules and regulations, and implementation progress through grant opening, grant review and grant closing meetings with implementing partners.
Our Ideal Candidate:
University graduate in relevant field, with a minimum of 3 years of experience working in a similar position in a humanitarian context.
Experience working in complex and volatile contexts, preferably in the Middle East but not in particular. Someone who can do multi-tasking and cope with significant work load with attention to detail. Solid experience in grants and finance management. Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities and knowledge of own leadership skills/profile. Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
If this sounds like you, apply now to join one of the world’s leading NGO’s and be part of a team of highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the most vulnerable people in the world's biggest displacement crisis.
* This position is an urgent need. As a result, candidates will be screened on a rolling basis. If you are interested in this role, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
Contract period: 6 months
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Erbil with travels to Kirkuk, Dohuk and Baghdad
Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
NB: Please enter the geographical location in the "Company name" field for both company and location on your application.
For more jobs follow us on Twitter @nrc_jobs
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Erbil
- Grade: Level not specified
- Emergency Aid
- Cash-Based Interventions
- Closing Date: