Community Services Team Leader (Tanzania Nationals Only) - Tanzania
Political instability in Burundi and the Democratic Republic of the Congo has caused a large number of refugees to seek protection in Tanzania. NRC opened an operational office in Kibondo, North Western Tanzania, in November 2016 and resumed responsibilities for Camp Management and WASH in Nyarugusu Refugee Camp from May 2017.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
The Position of Community Services Team Leader is therefore required to establish and implement the activities in the camp. All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability.
Job description1. Management of project staff
2. Implement plan of action for Community Mobilisation activities
3. Day to day follow of progress in project implementation
4. Ensure compliance with NRC policies Community Mobilisation tools, handbooks and guidelines
5. Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist
6. Promote and share ideas for technical improvement
7. Prepare periodic progress reports and other documents
8. Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
9. Liaison and collaborate with relevant local authorities and stakeholders
10. Promote the rights of Refugees in line with the advocacy strategy
11. Manage the Community Services Team (Community Services Assistant, Help Desk Officers and Help Desk Assistants)
12. Oversee the activities related to community services (Help Desk and Information Dissemination), making sure that are in line with project proposal and NRC standards
13. Provide regular reports to the Camp Manager
14. Liaise and collaborate with relevant key stakeholders
15. Contribute to the development of Community Participation strategies and projects for camp level
16. Ensure that activities target beneficiaries most in need of protection and assistance, explore and asses new and better ways to assist
17. Contribute and identify opportunities for capacity building of Community Services Team and transfer key skills
18. Ensure high quality and ongoing monitoring and evaluation of activities implemented
19. Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist
20. Represent NRC in coordination meetings when required by the Camp Manager
Qualifications• 4 years’ experience from Community Mobilization in a humanitarian/recovery context
• Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
• Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
• Be able to use a wide variety of software, including Word, Excel and Power Point
• At all times in and outside work adhere to NRC Code of Conduct
• Fluency in English, both written and verbal
• Knowledge of French or Kirundi is an advantage
• Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present technical information.
• Experience in capacity building and training of staff and target groups
• Political and cultural awareness
• Ability to work independently in a result oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment and manage conflicting priorities.
- College / University, Bachelor's degree
Personal qualities• Planning and delivering results
• Empowering and building trust
• Communicating with impact and respect
• Managing resources to optimize results
• Managing performance and development
• Handling insecure environment
We offer• Duty station: Nyarugusu, Kasulu District
• Commencement: 1st July 2017
• Contract duration: 6 months’ contract with possibility of extension subject to funding availability
• Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions in Tanzania. The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for NRC Tanzania.