Batch Recruitment (3 posts): TA Security Specialist (Programmes/RRM), (P-3), Juba, South Sudan (365 days)
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children's rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
For every child, a champion
UNICEF South Sudan faces a complex operating environment, with challenges related to conflict and lack of road infrastructure. Our work has been focusing on lifesaving needs, tackling issues such as acute malnutrition, displacement and insecurity, and basic health. We are also continuing with regular programming, such as providing routine and supplementary immunization services, safe drinking water, access to sanitation, and strengthening early childhood development.
Join our team and help us make sure every child has a champion.
How can you make a difference?
The Security Specialist Rapid Response Mechanism (RRM) reports to Country Field Security Advisor and maintains a close working relationship with the Office of the Chief of Field and Emergency Operations. The Security Specialist will function as a RRM Security Specialist established for the UNICEF South Sudan Office to provide first line security support to RRM mission teams for all UNICEF programme delivery missions to remote, hard to reach regions of South Sudan.
The Security Specialist contributes to the UNICEF mandate through strong security risk analysis, advice, and relevant mitigation to ensure programmes are delivered with the safety and security of staff, property and programmes as primary focus in all areas to be identified for RRM mission interventions.
While not on deep field missions, the RRM Security Specialist will support the Country Field Security Advisor to implement and manage security activities at the duty station in close coordination with all members of the UN Security Management System (UNSMS) including the UN Department of Safety and Security as well as NGO partners in line with the Saving Lives.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities relevant to RRM missions:
- Security Risk Management and Planning
- Safety and Security Services
- Programmatic Security Information Analysis
- Security Networking and Partnership Building
- Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Education: An Advanced University Degree in a discipline related to Risk Management, International Relations, Cultural Anthropology, Conflict Analysis, Intelligence Analysis, Diplomatic Studies, Conflict and Security or Counter Terrorism. *A first university degree with additional two-years of relevant work experience is acceptable in lieu of an advanced university degree.*The RRM/Programme Security Specialist should be recruited with a strong interpersonal skills, an analytical and security planning background. Substantial relevant qualifying experience with additional eight-years of relevant work experience and training such as the United Nations Department of Security & Safety (UNDSS) Security Certification Programme (SCP) may be considered in lieu of the Advanced University Degree.
- Work Experience: A minimum of five years’ experience in security and safety management in the context of an international organization or NGO OR military/police experience, include roles in the special forces/para/commando/intelligence, with experience of independent and or ad hoc operations. Physical fitness and previous experience in RRM missions are highly desirable and demonstrated ability to be self-sufficient, self-reliant with survival instincts is desirable as successful candidate will be required to accompany deep field missions to non-SRM compliant locations with none or minimal facilities or resources and be required to work and live under arduous conditions for long periods of time (7–21 days). Background/familiarity experience in Emergency setting required. Relevant experience working with UNICEF, WFP and other UN agencies that conduct field missions is an asset.
- Language Proficiency: Fluency in English (required). Knowledge of the local language of the duty station is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
Functional Competencies: Coping with Pressure and Setbacks, Analyzing, Relating and networking, Deciding and Initiating action, Applying technical expertise.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
* The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
* Please note that this is a non-family duty station.
* Employment is conditional upon receipt of medical clearance, any clearance required, the grant of a visa, and completion of any other pre-employment criteria that UNICEF may establish. Candidates may not be further considered or offers of employment may be withdrawn if these conditions are unlikely to be met before the date for commencement of service.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Juba
- Grade: P-3, International Professional - Mid level
- Security and Safety
- Closing Date: 2017-09-27