Senior Officer, Forests and REDD+ Business Development
Senior Officer, Forests and REDD+ Business Development
The Investment and Policy Solutions Division (IPSD), based at GGGI's Seoul headquarters works with programs in countries and on (global) projects, by:
- Providing technical and financial know-how through advice to country programs in the areas of energy, green cities, sustainable landscapes, and water;
- Working with the Green Growth Planning and Implementation Division (GGP&I) on the development of service offerings (in GGGI’s four thematic areas) and related origination, methodologies and delivery approaches;
- Converting experience gained through country activities and engagement in international networks into elements of South-South cooperation programs, sub-regional knowledge sharing programs and national level capacity building activities;
- Contributing to the preparation of corporate communication material;
- Managing GGGI’s involvement in knowledge management networks such as the Green Growth Knowledge Platform or other international platforms as appropriate.
The Division expects to expand its technical capacity and broaden intellectual base of the Sustainable Landscapes Unit, by hiring a Forest and REDD+ Senior Officer to originate and develop REDD+ pipeline of projects, particularly on scalable REDD+ projects in the AFOLU sectors which results in reduced carbon emissions from forests and enhanced carbon sinks at jurisdictional scale. Projects are also to targeted to create green jobs; improved air quality; enhanced supply of ecosystem services and capacity to adapt to climate change. The Senior Officer identifies and develops risk reduction strategies, advises on technologies and best practices to enhance returns and productivity/ha to scale REDD+ implementation.
The Senior Officer provides advice on the use of forest and land resources, forest conservation methods and practices to increase the financial output of forests over the longer term. S/he develops forest investment project including related carbon credit instruments and transactions as a potential source of finance. The Senior Officer works with country teams to scale such projects results in emission reduction in the forest sector and ecological integrity at jurisdictional scale.
The Senior Officer delivers REDD+ investment projects in the forest sector which results in good financial returns and jurisdictional forest emission reductions as well as enhanced carbon sinks. S/he is expected to be technically competent in forest management methods and engage forest companies/private sector to become project developers in REDD+ projects, develop scalable business models and work on strategies and models to advance the implementation of projects that contribute to forest carbon emission reduction which contributes to NDC/SDG implementation as well as potential carbon credit transactions.
The Senior Officer establishes close relationships with private sector engaged in economic activities in forested landscapes. He/she focuses on methods, strategies and instruments to use forest and land wisely and scale REDD+ in GGGI member countries. The Senior Officer provides technical advice and guidance to country staff and prepares analytical inputs on forest conservation methods and timber and forest best practices that enhances the design of REDD+ business models. S/he supports the team in REDD+ project origination and preparation. The Senior Officer plays a critical role in building, maintaining, and strengthening partnerships with private sector while working with closely with country teams who address related policy risks and ensure environmental integrity of the landscape and jurisdiction.
In this role, the Senior Officer shall:
- Conduct all required analysis for the successful development of REDD+ projects which results in emission reductions in the forest sector and enhanced forest carbon sinks, originating together with GGGI’ country teams to support countries meet NDC and SDG targets;
- Provide technical advice to GGGI staff, private sector and government counterparts on REDD+ and sustainable forest management;
- Collaborate with country teams to understand private sector constraints (including land, tax issues, costs of externalities)
- Work with country teams to produce and conduct value chain assessment of sustainable forest projects engaging all relevant stakeholders;
- Provide analytical support in carbon credit transactions where relevant, drawing on existing best practices and lessons learnt;
- Ensure that any carbon credit mechanism minimizes leakage and results in emission reduction in the forest sector and ecological integrity at jurisdictional scale in partnership with local governments.
- Initiate, maintain, strengthen relationships with private sector interested in becoming REDD+ project developers;
- Develop and disseminate knowledge sharing and communication products in the field of REDD+ and sustainable forests business models and forest carbon transactions within jurisdictional approaches;
REQUIREMENTS (only recruitment purpose)
- Master of Forestry or MSc in forestry, forest economics or related field.
- Minimum 7 years of total experience with significant applied experience in the private sector on forest conservation methods and sustainable forest management
- At least 2 years of international experience
- A good understanding on the methodologies, voluntary and compliance carbon credit mechanisms is a strong asset
- Experience in previous forest-CDM projects is a strong asset
- Overall understanding of the concept of green growth in the context of developing countries and how REDD+ plays a role within this
- Experience in project cycle management, formulating partnerships and networks and deliver technical and communication products to achieve and disseminate results
- Existing network with forest and landuse related companies and REDD+ investors/financial institutions is an asset
- Fluency in French and/or Spanish is an asset.
GGGI needs a person who can bring more than knowledge and passion to the role: someone who has the grit and resilience to do this work. The successful candidate is a skillful communicator with an ability to diagnose challenges in an organization and a team, an innovator, a decision-maker, a powerful advocate, and a diplomatic change agent who understands the dynamics and tensions in this kind of diverse, global landscape. S/he should be:
- excellent in knowledge development
- able to handle complex multi-stakeholder relationships
- keen on maintaining high degree of professional integrity with a stewardship of public resources
- proactive in providing mentorship and guidance to staff
- able to effectively communicate, listen to others, and create and promote an environment for open communication
- able to work effectively with other teams of a high degree of cultural/ professional diversity
- willing to travel regionally, be curious about new environments and new countries
- Organization: Global Green Growth Institute
- Location: Seoul
- Grade: X9 - Mid level
- External Relations, Partnerships and Resource mobilization
- Operations and Administrations
- Climate Change
- Public, Private Partnership
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development Goals
- Closing Date: 2017-12-13