National Consultant-Event Manager
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women, and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the center of all efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action and are financed. Throughout the world. UN Women provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States' priorities and efforts, building dialogues and effective partnerships with civil society, the private sector and other relevant actors. UN Women supports the implementation of 2030 Agenda, which situates the achievement of gender equality and women’s empowerments as a pre-condition towards the attainment of the Sustainable Development.
To achieve its vision of gender equality, UN Women is mandated with three key functions as outlined by its founding resolution (A/res/64/289), i.e. normative support functions, UN system coordination and operational activities. As part of coordination mandate and normative support function, UN Women ROAP seeks to leverage its support to the UN coordination system and normative functions through the preparation meeting for the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW), the advocacy of gender equality and women empowerment through International Women’s Day, as well as the promotion of the 2030 Agenda through the Asia-Pacific Forum on Sustainable Development.
As part of its work, UN Women is seeking the services of an events manager to support key events around International Women’s Day and the Preparatory meeting for CSW62 planned in Quarter 1 of 2018.
Duties and Responsibilities
Objectives and scope of the Consultancy:
UN Women ROAP is seeking to recruit a highly qualified national consultant as Event Manager to
(1) Support the organization of the Asia-Pacific High Level Meeting in preparation for CSW 62, International Women Days (including launch of solidarity cards and UN Women-ADB Benchmark publication on the SDGs), the Asia-Pacific Forum on Sustainable Development;
(2) to undertake and support communications, marketing and advocacy work, including in designing the course of events, sequencing the tasks, finalizing communication materials, and reporting on the outcomes.
The consultant will work under the supervision of Regional Strategic Planning and Coordination Specialist, ROAP as part of Strategic Planning and Coordination Units and in close collaboration with Communication Specialist and Humanitarian and HIV/Aids Specialist.
Specific scope of work:
Designing and Managing the Events:
- Draft concept notes related to the events that include outlining plan, outreach and preparation for finalization and launch of solidarity card;
- Design of sequencing and components of the related tasks;
- Prepare workplan and for events;
- A brief report on advocacy and communication outreach and impact of the events.
- Process and follow-up invitations;
- Collaborate with UN Agencies, liaise with UN Agencies, government officials, CSOs, other societal group, in agreement with UN Women;
- Coordinate with stakeholders, invitees, and participants, in agreement with UN Women;
- Attend the necessary meetings as part of preparation for the events, in agreement with UN Women;
- Launch of the solidarity card prepared.
- Design content and format of communication materials and media channels;
- Finalize advocacy and communication materials covering but not limited to commercial pieces, newsletters, briefings and reports, related to the events;
- Develop 4 story boards/communication brief on the solidarity cards.
Reporting of the Events:
- Briefing and updating the events that include a brief report on advocacy and communication outreach and impact on the launch of solidarity card;
- Provide report on the events with an outline of follow-up plans upon the completion of consultancy. The report should contain the outputs and outcomes of the events as well as key substantive issues and implication on UN Women.
Expected Deliverables and Time Frame:
The key deliverables will essentially be concept notes and a final report on the events. However, the consultant’s specific tasks and expected deliverables will also include finalizing materials for advocacy as parts of event management. The milestones for delivery are as follows:
Deliverables and Target date:
- Concept Notes with detailed delivery plan: Target date: December 26, 2017;
- Packages of finalized products as per detailed delivery plan: Target date: March 10, 2018;
- Final report on the events: Target date: April 10, 2018.
Duration of Assignment and Duty Station:
The duty station is Bangkok, Thailand. The assignment required working closely with supervisor and the team at the duty station. Should there any additional travel, it will be arranged by UN Women as per UN Women rules and regulations.
The contract duration is tentatively from 15 December 2017 to 15 April 2018.The period that requires full-time presence at the duty station will be from 12 February to 14 March , 2018.
- Knowledge or familiarity with global development agenda and gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- Understanding of UN Women mandates and corporate position;
- Knowledge of advocacy, media and communication tools;
- Ability to speak and write excellent English and Thai for professional communication and development advocacy.
- Ability to communicate effectively and succinctly;
- Innovation in communication and related works;
- Ability to manage multi-tasks within limited timeframe;
- Organizational awareness by demonstrating corporate knowledge and sound judgement;
- Ability to work in multi-cultural environment and maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural background;
- Self-management and familiarity with gender issues and women economic empowerment in Asia and the pacific.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in communication, public relations, journalism, social science, development or related fields.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible professional work experience at the international level in public relations, communication or advocacy;
- Proven track record of the visibility and influence of an organization through effective communication strategies;
- Demonstrated experience in organizing advocacy, public outreach and/or strategic partnership initiatives and high-visibility events;
- Demonstrated experience in coordinating campaigns to achieve short and long-term in public private partnership, fundraising development and international results-based program development with particular focus on developing partnership with private sector.
Applications will be evaluated based on the cumulative analysis:
- Technical Qualification (100 points) weight: (70%);
- Financial Proposal (100 points) weight: (70%).
A two-page procedure is utilized in evaluating the applications, with evaluation of the technical application being completed prior to any price proposal being compared. Only the price proposal of the candidates who passed the minimum technical score of 70% of the obtainable score of 100 points in the technical qualification evaluation will be evaluated.
Technical qualification evaluation criteria:
- The total number of points allocated for the technical qualification component is 100. The technical qualification of the individual is evaluated based on the technical criteria;
- Only the candidates who have attained a minimum of 70% of total points will be considered as technically-qualified candidates who may be contacted for validation interview.
Financial/Price proposal evaluation:
- Only the financial proposal of candidates who have attained a minimum of 70% score in the technical evaluation will be considered and evaluated;
- The total number of points will be allocated for the price component is 100;
- The maximum number of points will be allotted to the lowest price proposal that is opened/evaluated and compared among those technical qualified candidates who have attained a minimum of 70%score in the technical evaluation. All other price proposals will receive points in inverse proportion to the lowest price.
Payments for this consultancy will be based on the achievement of each deliverable and certification that each has been satisfactorily completed. Payments will not be based on the number of days worked but on the completion of each stated deliverable within the indicated timeframes.