The UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The Driver provides reliable and safe driving services to the UN Women Staff and other high-ranking UN officials and visitors ensuring the highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, and excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. The Driver also demonstrates a client-oriented approach, courtesy, confidentiality, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Upon the request of the supervisor, the Driver can be also required to provide driving services to the operations and programme staff in the Office, consultants and experts and UN staff on mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services
- Proper use of vehicle
- Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Maintain and ensure availability of required documents.
- General Administrative and logistics supportDriving office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel only but this can include visiting Officials (Government, UN, Embassy Officials, etc.)
- Ensuring that all passengers wear their seat belts at all times in the vehicle
- Enforcing the no smoking policy in the vehicle
- Facilitating immigration and customs formalities as required
- Escort: meet high-level official personnel at the airport and facilitate VIP missions, etc.
- Collecting and deliver mail/correspondence to Government Offices/Embassies /Commercial Establishments/UN Offices etc. Interact with Finance and Administration staff.
- Following strictly all rules and regulations in relation to the use and management of UN Women vehicles as provided by the Operations Unit.
- Ensuring that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Proper use of vehicle
- Keep abreast of traffic rules and regulations as well as road security and safety awareness to enable safe on time arrival for meetings
- Ensure cost-saving by driving responsibly;
- Maintain daily vehicle logs, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil change, servicing, greasing, repairs and oversee that other drives do the same;
- Prepare and maintain data of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Ensure that the official vehicle is kept clean and is always in good working order.
- Provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports
- Keep track of insurance and applicable tax formalities
- Ensure that all official vehicles are kept clean and is always in good working condition;
- Make minor repairs and make arrangements for major repairs;
- Change oil, check tires, lights horn, clutch and brakes and wash car regularly;
- Ensure that vehicles comply with Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS).
Maintain and ensure availability of all required documents/supplies
- Maintain and ensure availability of all required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, and map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle;
- Ensure that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
Provide general administrative and logistic support as needed
- Assist office staff in filing, photocopying and maintaining required records.
- Assist in the mailing and distribution of publications and payment of bills, as required.
Key Performance indicators
- Quality and timely driving services; safe and on-time
- Quality care and maintenance of vehicle and necessary documents
- Timely inputs to logs and records.
CORE VALUES OR GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
- Excellent driving skills
- Strong knowledge of driving rules and regulations, chauffeur protocol and courtesies, and local roads and conditions, and defensive driving skills
- Strong defensive driving skills
- Skill in minor vehicle repairs
- Professional appearance and punctuality
- Good people skills
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education
- Valid Driver’s license
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience as a driver in an International organization, Embassy or UN System with a safe driving record.
- Must be residing in AROB
- Fluency in English and Pidgin is required
- Knowledge of the other UN working knowledge is an asset.