New York City (United States of America)
UN Women Background:
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Unit/ Project Background:
UN Women HQ Finance Section provides centralized finance services for HQ divisions and 60 field offices. Under the direct supervision and guidance of Finance Specialists, Finance Section, the intern will assist the Finance team in various financial duties, including provision of assistance for year-end activities and audit preparation and planning. A work plan with achievements for the duration of the Internship and learning opportunities will be agreed upon.
Duties and Responsibilities
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Assist in preparation of daily receipts, payment vouchers and journals
- Assist in data entry for receivables and payables
- Reconciliation of various financial data as assigned in the areas of fixed assets, accounts receivable, accounts payable and other general ledger balances
- Provide support in preparation of various financial reports and supporting documentation
- Assist in preparation of training material
- Assist in preparation for financial audit (if applicable timing)
- Assist with implementation of expanded website for Finance Section
- Provide other assistance for the Finance Section as required
- Increased understanding of UN Women’s work and the UN system
- Learning different aspects of finance and accounting in an international environment
- Increased knowledge of issues related to financial management
- Meeting and networking with UN Women interns and colleagues in other units
- Work as a team member in a multicultural setting
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff;
- Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Work in teams:
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies:?http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to extract, interpret, analyze data and resolve problems;
- Sound knowledge of accounting principles;
- Strong IT skills, Excel skills;
- Focuses on result for the client
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates openness to learn new tasks
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view
Required Skills and Experience
- The intern must have studies in Finance or Accountancy, or other similar subject at the university level
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English are required; Working knowledge of another UN language a distinct advantage
Interns are not financially remunerated by UN Women.
- UN Women will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest.
- Selected applicants must provide the internship application, two letters of recommendation, proof of health insurance and school enrollment, passport, and visa (if applicable)
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment
UN Women Internship Policy:
1.) Applicants to the United Nations internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- ?Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- ?Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree (as (b) above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
2.) UN Women internship programme does not provide a salary or remuneration for the internship;
3.) All the expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern, sponsoring Government or institution;
4.) UN Women accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship;
5.) The intern is responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed;
6.) Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UN WOMEN during the period of the internship or for six months immediately following the expiration date of internship;
7.) The intern must provide proof of enrollment in a health insurance plan, proof of school enrollment, a scanned copy of his/her passport, two letters of recommendation, and application