Batch Recruitment: Programme Assistant, (GS-5), Dominican Republic (2 positions)
Santo Domingo (Colombia)
Under the close supervision and guidance of the section's officers, the programme assistant supports the programme execution providing a range of procedural, administrative, operational support in developing, implementing, executing and monitoring their country programme, ensuring timely and effective delivery that is consistent with UNICEF rules and regulations.
Post Title: Programme Assistant
Proposed Level: G-5
Duty Station: Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Number of posts: 2 positions
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does — in programs, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life — in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions — her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens — addressing inequity — not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
For every child, a champion
Under the close supervision and guidance of the section's officers, the programme assistant provides a range of procedural, administrative, operational support in developing, implementing, executing and monitoring their country programme, ensuring timely and effective delivery that is consistent with UNICEF rules and regulations.
How can you make a difference?
The efficiency and effectiveness of support provided by the programme assistant to the development, implementation and monitoring of programs/projects facilitates the delivery of concrete and sustainable results for the respective section, which in turn enhances the offices and UNICEF’s capacity in helping the most vulnerable women and children.
We are looking for two organized and customer service oriented individuals to support the UNICEF Dominican Republic office in the following areas:
- Support to programme development, planning and execution.
- Support to monitoring and reporting of programme results
- Support in resource mobilization
- Support in knowledge management and capacity building
Support to programme development, planning and execution:
- Compiles data and information on subject matters relevant to the work of the section to facilitate preparation of reports, working papers, and presentations.
- Prepares and maintains records pertaining to programme planning and development for his/her respective section.
- Carries out transactions in VISION ensuring programme results, activities and programme coding are as per annual work plans (AWPs), and makes amendments and alterations as per section revisions when necessary.
- Arranges meetings, conferences workshops and training courses pertaining to programme development, and provides support in making the necessary logistical arrangements.
- Following up both internally with the Supply section and externally with counterparts to ensure supplies for programme implementation are delivered in a timely and accurate manner.
- Provide travel assistance to staff and consultants in the assigned sections based on the organizations rules and policies. Liaises with relevant travel focal point to ensure the organization obtains the best service and price for all travel.
- Facilitate the processing of contracts for consultants and external partner that provide a service to the sections. This includes requesting quotations, preparing and filing documents, completing necessary forms and templates and making necessary logistical arrangements.
Support to monitoring and reporting of programme results
- Provides support on budget revision/preparation, implementation status, determination position of funding utilization, operational, and financial closure.
- Monitors budgets and financial expenditures of section, ensuring compliance with UNICEF rules and regulations, keeping supervisor informed and advised on actions for decision/follow up.
- Prepares and maintains records, documents and control plans for the monitoring of project/programme implementation.
Support in resource mobilization
- Compiles and organizes information and data pertaining to donors (both current and potential).
- Compiles and organizes data and information to assist in the preparation of periodic or ad-hoc financial reports relating to country office and donors to support the office in optimizing use of programme funds.
- Carries out transactions in VISION pertaining to grants for his/her section such as registering grant allotments and tracking expiring programme grants.
- Supports the processing of contracts for consultants and external partners pertaining to the section.
Support in Knowledge Management and capacity building
- Gathers and shares information as needed in support of improving the processes and daily operations of the section.
- Supports capacity development activities related to performance monitoring, programme development, and related internal UNICEF systems/tools by drafting necessary correspondence, compiling data reports and maintaining relevant records.
- Other related duties as required (acts as back up to similar or related assistant positions) .
For every Child, you demonstrate:
- Diversity and inclusion
- Communication (I)
- Working with people (II)
- Drive for results (I)
- Analyzing (I)
- Learning and Researching (I)
- Planning and organizing (I)
- Following Instructions and Procedures (I)
To qualify as a champion for every child you will have:
- Education: completion of secondary education, preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to the work of the organization.
- Experience: a minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible administrative or clerical work experience is required. Experience working with ERP systems (e.g. SAP) is desirable. Work experience in an international organization or UN agency is desirable.
- Language: Fluency in Spanish and English is required.
General Service Staff are recruited locally. Candidates must be in possession of an existing work permit or resident/citizen of Dominican Republic to be considered eligible for this post. Please note that General Service (GS) staff are locally recruited staff and therefore, candidates are personally responsible for any travel and accommodation arrangements.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Santo Domingo (Colombia)
- Grade: GS-5, General Service - No need for Higher Education - Locally recruited position - Administrative support
- Children's rights (health and protection)
- Education, Learning and Training
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Administrative support
- Human Resources
- Project and Programme Management
- Public Health and Health Service
- Closing Date: 2018-03-28