ABA ROLI Legal Internship (Various positions) – Summer 2018
Washington D.C. (United States of America) | United States
The American Bar Association Rule of Law Legal Internship Program
The American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI) is pleased to consider applications for its Summer 2018 Internship Program. ABA ROLI serves as the international development wing of the American Bar Association and seeks to promote justice, economic opportunity, and human dignity through the rule of law. ABA ROLI seeks interns to assist headquarters staff with a wide variety of the day-to-day support functions that are pertinent to the operations of an international NGO. Legal internships are available to graduate students, law students, and recent graduates of post-grad degree programs depending on current staffing needs. Dates and daily schedules may be flexible in response to departmental needs, and correspond roughly to academic terms for spring, summer, and fall semesters. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Terms of the Program:
Interns for ABA ROLI will work with staff of their assigned division to gain an understanding of international development programs and international rule of law issues. In general, ABA ROLI offers International Development and Legal Internships, which differ somewhat in their expected responsibilities and desired applicant profiles. International Development openings will support various aspects of program implementation for DC-based regional and support teams, while Legal openings will be more heavily research-based and tailored toward graduate and law students. For more information on the ABA ROLI International Development Internship Program, which is separate from the Legal Internship, please visit: https://www.devex.com/jobs/aba-roli-international-development-internships-summer-2018-543973
Although these are unpaid positions, interns at ABA ROLI are eligible for a wide variety of perks and learning opportunities including:
- Transportation reimbursement up to $15.00/day
- Field trips to D.C. legal destinations such as the U.S. Department of State, U.S. Supreme Court and Library of Congress
- Brown-bag lunches with ABA ROLI staff and guest speakers
- While the hiring needs of each individual opening may differ, ABA ROLI generally requires the following qualifications for all legal internships:
- JD/LL.M students or recent graduates or internationals with a LL.B or foreign equivalent seeking relevant postgraduate international affairs degree;
- Strong commitment to public interest law and/or international development, as evidenced by relevant experience and coursework;
- Excellent research, writing, and analytical skills;
- Proficiency with MS Office;
- International development experience highly desirable but not required; knowledge of foreign languages is a plus;
Please indicate your internship preference in your cover letter. ABA ROLI also welcomes “Generalist” internship applications.
Global Programs Intern
- Key Responsibilities: The intern will assist in research, drafting relevant materials, and legal analysis to support design and implementation of ABA ROLI’s labor and environmental programming.
- Preferred qualifications include: Strong research, analytical, communication, and organization skills; ability to work independently; interest and some familiarity with issues related to environmental governance, sustainable and socially responsible supply chains including in labor and environmental areas, environmental litigation, regulation of toxic substances, and general business and human rights*.*
Women and Girls Empowered (WAGE) Internship
- Key Responsibilities: The American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI) is pleased to invite applications for its unpaid Women and Girls Empowered (WAGE) Internship program based in Washington, D.C. The intern will support the implementation of an integrated women’s economic empowerment program in El Salvador and Honduras. Among others, the intern will conduct in-depth literature review, research, and analysis of legal and structural barriers to female entrepreneurship (including violence against women and girls) and assist in program management, monitoring, evaluation, and event planning.
- Preferred qualifications: The WAGE internship is primarily suitable for J.D. and LL.M. students and graduates, but MA students and graduates with relevant knowledge and experience may apply as well. Spanish language skills are highly desirable.
How to apply:
If you are interested in an ABA ROLI internship**,** please go to https://www.devex.com/jobs/aba-roli-legal-internships-summer-2018-543975 and submit a resume and cover letter indicating your preference from the list of positions below, as well as your availability for the Summer semester. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you are interested in being considered for all openings, please indicate that you are interested as a “Generalist.” ABA ROLI will try to match candidates to their top choice whenever possible, but highly value candidate flexibility throughout the selection process.