Radio Operator (Female Only)
UN Women Mission Statement:
Grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, UN Women works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. UN Women coordinates United Nations System efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides leadership in support of Member States' priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UNWOMEN, UNESCO, UNFPA and UN-Habitat intend to hire radio operator and who will be stationed at UNWOMEN Radio Room. UN Women and the sister agencies are dedicated to advancing gender equality and women's empowerment in Afghanistan. Staff and consultants of the Afghanistan Country Office (ACO) are expected to contribute to a professional working environment in which the strengthening of national capacities and human potential is prioritized. Respect for diversity and human dignity is required, as is the active pursuit of a collaborative and inclusive approach to both internal and external stakeholders, including colleagues and partners.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of UN Women National Security Officer, the Radio Operator shall be overall responsible and accountable for the effective and efficient provision of radio operation and communication services for UN Women, UNESCO, UNFPA and UN -Habitat and ensure smooth operations in accordance with the functions outlined below in the ToR
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Report to and responsible to Security Officer for all security related matters;
- Operate Radio Room and all communications systems;
- Ensure that the Security section is informed at all times on location and movements of staff in area in accordance with established procedures;
- Report any irregularities of Radio Room communications network to Security Officer;
- Operate location tracking, monitoring, and emergency management systems and maintain record sheet;
- Perform security radio check with all available staff on a regular basis and during emergency situations;
- Monitor the security in and around UN Women premises in UNOCA;
- Report results of radio checks to ACO Security;
- Manage Security Radio Room in event of emergency, announcing Security Advisories to inform staff of situation;
- Advise Transport drivers on any changes in local security restrictions
- Daily check of Radio Room occurrence/incident log book;
- Assist the Security Officer in updating records as required;
- Perform administrative functions in Radio Room;
- Maintain Radio Room filing system;
- Perform other security related duties as directed by the ACO Security.
Impact of Results:
The key results have direct impact on implementing and maintaining UN security standards and procedures that allow staff to carry out duties in an environment that meets basic safety and security standards.
- Demonstrates commitment to UN Women mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of standard tasks related to security and radio operation;
- Good knowledge of financial rules and regulations, accounting;
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
Required Skills and Experience
- High School graduate with specialized skills and training in operation of radio communications equipment in a security environment.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant radio operation experience at the national or international level is required. UN experience is an advantage.
- Knowledge of Sat phone, HF, UHF and VHF radio operation;
- Solid computers skills (MS Word, Excel);
- Physically fit.
Fluency in English language and national languages of duty station Dari and/or Pashto