National consultant-Team Leader- Women Economic Development with a focus on Climate Smart Agriculture
UN WOMEN (UNW), grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, the UN WOMEN will lead and coordinate United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
In Kenya, the UN WOMEN Country Programme is contributing to the development objectives of Kenya’s blue print, the Vision 2030 and is aligned to the United Nations Development Assistance Frameworks (UNDAF) of 2018-2022 as well as UN WOMEN Global Strategic Plan. The UN Women Kenya office is in the process of developing its new Country Programme 2019 – 2022 which aims to achieve the following results:
- strengthen women’s leadership;
- strengthened women’s economic empowerment;
- eliminating violence against women and girls; and
- strengthened women’s leadership in peace building and humanitarian response.
Under the overall guidance and direction of the supervisor, the team leader for women economic development exercises overall responsibility for planning ,implementing , and managing UN Women interventions under his/her portfolio. She/he works in close collaboration with Senior Management, other team leaders at UNW Kenya, Operations Team, other UN agencies, government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society, with the aim of successfully implementing the UN Women country programme.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Ensuring the strategic direction of UN Women Economic Empowerment focus area in the forthcoming UN Women Country program 2019 – 2022;
- Supervision of the WEE Programme team and seconded staff;
- Support to resource mobilization in the area of Women Economic Empowerment and Climate smart agriculture;
- Provision of top quality policy advice services to the Government and civil society facilitation of knowledge building and management.?
As a member of the Country Office management team, ensures the strategic direction of UN Women Economic Empowerment program focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Collaborative preparation of WEE focus area in the future Country Program, AWP 2019 and potential UN Joint initiatives;
- Identification of strategic and innovative program opportunities in consultation/cooperation with national stakeholders and development partners;
- Operationalization of UNDAF/CP in collaboration with the main partners and other UN Agencies.
Ensures effective management of the WEE program and supervision of the WEE Program team focusing on quality control of AWP 2018 and formulation of AWP 2019:
- Effective application of Results Based Management (RBM) tools and monitoring achievement of results;
- Strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of the WEE programme, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UN Women rules and regulations;
- Effective technical leadership of the WEE team including donor reporting.
Establishes and maintains strategic partnerships and supports the resource mobilization focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support to resources mobilization to achieve the WEE program outcomes with a focus on climate smart agriculture;
- Creation and coordination of partnerships with the UN Agencies, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc;
- Determination of programmatic areas of cooperation, based on strategic goals of UN Women’s country needs and donors’ priorities.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing.
Ensures provision of top quality advisory services to the Government/ civil society and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results;
- Identification of key policy processes and sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country policy goals;
- Development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and /civil society and other strategic partners, and in line with the Sustainable Development Goals;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme.
CORE VALUES / GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
CORE COMPETENCIES Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and results for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Demonstrated ability to conduct appropriate analyses, needs assessments and projects on socio-economic development issues;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources;
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets, manage contributions and investments, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery;
- Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioral/attitudinal change;
- Ability to Promote knowledge management in UN Women and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills;
- Ability to draft and edit analytical reports, strategy documents, project proposals, correspondence, briefings and speeches.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments.
- Experience in gender equality and women empowerment issues.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Written and oral proficiency in English is required. Working Knowledge of other UN official language is an asset.