UN Coordination Intern
UN Women Background:
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Unit/ Project Background:
UN Women supports the UN system coordination and accountability mechanisms, and up-scaling of the quality of support provided to the member states in addressing national gender equality priorities. UN Women’s gender coordination work is supported through Gender Theme Group (GTG) being chaired by UN Women. GTG is aimed to support and work within UN Country Teams (UNCTs) to ensure gender is mainstreamed into UNCT joint work, advocacy and operations.To support the work in the areas of UN coordination, the Tajikistan PP is currently seeking an intern.
Duties and Responsibilities
The intern is expected to provide the support to the development and implementation of 2019 Work Plan of GTG. This includes the following responsibilities and learning objectives:
- Support the secretariat function of GTG. This includes preparation of meeting minutes, coordination and consolidation of inputs for upcoming meetings and documents, and support to draft and monitor implementation of the 2019 joint work plan of GTG.
- Support UN Women to define best practices and formulate joint GTG knowledge products for further sharing across all GTGs in the ECA region in the areas of UN coordination by collecting, analyzing and sharing key lessons, promising practices and resources of GTG Tajikistan.
- Support GTG in development of joint advocacy actions in occasion of International Day of a Girl Child and Rural Women Day and other communication and advocacy related joint activities.
- Support to GTG events and initiatives related to Sustainable Development Goals (as follow-up to 2018 activities) in partnership with National Women’s Committee and Coalition of NGOs “From equality to jure to equality de-facto”, including logistics/admin support and taking and sharing minutes and event’s summary reports.
- Support to the preparation of GTG quarterly briefs for a wide dissemination by partners.
- Support for l HeforShe campaign’s actions by GTG.
- Provide support for information and awareness raising actions per priority areas to be identified by GTG for 2019.
- Additional support to the UN Women staff in their functions on Gender coordination as needed.
- To learn how Results Based Management is applied for UN/UN Women programming development, implementation and reporting;
- To learn approaches and good practices for UN gender related coordination.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards other.
- Excellent writing and organizational skills;
- Ability to work with different actors, including through remote contact
- Ability to multi-task and address competing priorities.
Required Skills and Experience
- The intern must have studies in public administration, programme management, gender studies, international development, international relations, social sciences or other similar subject at the university level.
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English are required; Working knowledge of Russian is a distinct advantage
- Strong computer skills with the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point are required.
- Skills and experience in using basic data analysis functions of Microsoft Excel to analyze quantitative data and to visualize data and findings are required.
- Organization: UN WOMEN - United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women
- Location: dushnabe
- Grade: Internship
- Women's Empowerment and Gender Mainstreaming
- Managerial positions
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development Goals
- Closing Date: 2018-08-20