Associate Project Engineer
Batticaloa / Trincomalee / Mullaithivu / Kilinochchi / Jaffna
Background Information - Sri Lanka
UNOPS Sri Lanka
UNOPS office in Sri Lanka provides technical, operational and administrative support to 4 countries in the South Asia region: Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. UNOPS work in this region focuses on the construction and operation of high-quality sustainable infrastructure, sustainable procurement, project management for host governments, development partners and UN agencies.
UNOPS’ work in Sri Lanka focuses on the construction and operation of high-quality sustainable infrastructure and sustainable procurement, project management, timely provision of services, and the use of most relevant technologies. Such projects provide social and economic benefits to vulnerable populations across the country and contribute to poverty eradication. This includes construction of schools, hospitals, water networks, urban sewerage and drainage facilities, harbors and anchorages, waste management facilities, climate change mitigation, as well as a range of “soft” support in Capacity Building, operations and maintenance of public assets, local governance, etc.
The Associate Project Engineer (APE) will have strong technical skills in building construction. He/She will be responsible for quality controlling of day-to-day implementation of the project while keeping the project progress and will report to the Project manager on a regular day to day basis and especially when issues and project risks have to be escalated. He/she is expected to meet and exceed the organization's performance and delivery goals and provides services to the partners and beneficiaries.
The APE shall have a thorough understanding of the terms, conditions, and the respective roles and responsibilities of the partners/stakeholders to ensure the project products are capable of meeting the business cases for both UNOPS and the client
Work shall include, but not limited to,
- Support the implementation of the project for construction of 17000 permanent houses for conflict-affected displaced families in the Northern & Eastern province in Sri Lanka in accordance with the guidance and advice of the Project Manager.
- Work to ensure that the works assigned to Technical Assistant are achieved within the allotted time frame.
- Contribute to systematically support the implementation of housing construction adopting home-owner centric, with community-based organizations (CBO) managing the construction, while the agency oversees the process ensuring quality and timely delivery and provide necessary support to the training on the technical, financial and administrative procedures.
- Contribute to the implementation of the quality control mechanism in the field and facilitate onsite training to CBOs and CBO’s workers as required.
- Participate in awareness activities organized by Community Specialist of UNOPS among the community
- Provide technical assistance, enable and ensure that the Technical Assistants effectively support housing construction.
- Support the project team in identifying the Community Based Organizations (CBOs) for housing construction
- Assist the project team to verify the documents for recommending non-exclusive site possession by CBOs for each construction site.
- Ensure regular training and capacity development to CBOs by relevant personnel.
- Ensure that all building and construction activity conform to UNOPS minimum standards, CIDA (Construction Industry & Development Authority – Sri Lanka) and other relevant construction trade standards and specifications as guided by the Project Manager.
- Contribute to timely action in identifying risk, assessment of risk and assisting the Project manager in implementing risk mitigation plan.
- Supervise the quality of the collected attested documentation to release payment to the CBOs.
- Facilitate periodical meeting with CBOs to review gaps, delays, and issues relating to construction and take remedial measures to resolve technical issues with the concurrence of the Project Manager.
- Document, process and submit periodically relevant information and reports etc. to the project Manager as required under the project.
- Contribute to achieving optimum visibility for UNOPS.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Project Manager.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Monitoring and Project Controls
- Monitoring the progress of works come under his/her review against the project plan
- Monitoring implementation of environmental management plan
- Monitoring implementation of health & safety plan
- Monitoring implementation of quality assurance plan
- Monitoring tranche payments to CBOs
- Monitoring timely delivery of construction materials to be procured in bulk
- University (Bachelor's) Degree in Civil Engineering.
- 3 years of relevant experience in the building construction field is required
- Working experience in housing construction is an advantage
- Working experience in UNOPS or in any other UN agency is an advantage
- Multi-tasking, flexibility, and attention to details while maintaining a high service level are preferable.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 2010, Microsoft Project, Microsoft Access, databases, and internet. Ability to draft various types of documentation in English is required.
- Knowledge and use of drafting skills with AutoCAD software is essential
- Fluency of English is essential.
- Working knowledge of at least one local language is required.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: ICA Contract level: Local ICA Support
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- This post is open to Sri Lankan nationals only.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Batticaloa / Trincomalee / Mullaithivu / Kilinochchi / Jaffna
- Grade: LICA-7, Local Individual Contractors Agreement - Administrative support
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-08-21