INT 2018/24 - Intern (Data Science) - Geneva, Switzerland
Position Title :Intern (Data Science)
Duty Station :Geneva, Switzerland Classification Intern, Grade OTHE
Type of Appointment : Internship, 5 months with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date : 29 August 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. Context:
The Migrant Protection and Assistance Division (MPA), situated in IOM’s Headquarters (HQs), has the institutional responsibility for providing strategic and policy support, technical guidance, and other necessary resources to support field missions in the areas of protection and assistance to migrants in vulnerable situations (AVM), counter-trafficking (CT), and assisted voluntary return and reintegration (AVRR). Through its presence in each region MPA also aims to address critical gaps in protection and migration management among states through capacity building, direct assistance and data and information management to support evidence-based advocacy, policy-making, and programming.
MPA provides protection and assistance to hundreds of thousands of migrants every year, including trafficked persons, smuggled migrants with protection needs, migrants in irregular situations, stranded migrants, unaccompanied and separated migrant children, and migrants subjected to violence, exploitation or abuse.
In the context of MPA’s information management strategy, IOM’s global migrant case management application (MiMOSA) is being upgraded and expanded to ensure that all individuals assisted have their case data systematically stored and managed through a centralized, standardized application which allows unique cases to be tracked across different countries and access points. Inter alia, the systems expansion will include the development of a mobile application to reach challenging operational contexts, including Migrant Resource and Response Mechanisms (MRRMs), detention facilities, border points, boat disembarkation points, and other difficult field locations.
The system expansion will focus in its first phase on countries targeted by the EU funded “EU-IOM Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration” (hereinafter “the Joint Initiative”) to ensure its adaptation and use also in challenging operational contexts, before being deployed to further regions in due course. By improving the collection, management and analysis of migrant protection and assistance data the MPA Division aims to make workflows smarter and more efficient in addition to rapidly developing the evidence base for migrant protection and assistance policy and programming.
The intern will work under the guidance and supervision of the Information Management Officer in coordination with the Knowledge Management and Data Officer and other colleagues in IOM Page 1 / 4Headquarters.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Support different processes involved in the data life cycle, from its collection through applications used by operations all the way through to analysis for policy and programming. 2. Support the analysis of IOM’s Assisted Vulnerable Migrant (AVM), Counter Trafficking (CT), and Voluntary Return and Reintegration (AVRR) data, including through quantitative analysis.
3. Contribute to the production of research and reporting products on AVM and AVRR activities, with an immediate focus on activities undertaken under the EU-IOM Joint Initiative. 4. Support the development of dynamic interactive data dashboards/visualizations, maps, and analytics for the MPA Data Portal.
5. Support the MiMOSA Mobile Application development by providing feedback on user experiences and input on the user interface.
6. Produce communication materials for the MPA division as needed regarding MiMOSA upgrades, analysis, and statistics.
7. Support knowledge sharing by communicating the appropriate standard operating procedures, guidance notes and toolkits to MPA colleagues in IOM Regional and Country Offices involved in the implementation of EU-IOM Joint Initiative, and HQ. 8. Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Master’s degree in political science, economics, social science, public health, natural sciences, computer science or a related field; Bachelor’s degree in one of the above fields with two years of professional experience.
• Proficiency in Excel and other Microsoft Office applications.
• Knowledge and experience with quantitative analysis and statistics. • Knowledge and experience with the use of statistical software such as SAS, R, Stata and/or SPSS.
• Interest in emerging technologies, using technology for development, or user-centered design.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team of colleagues of varied cultural and professional backgrounds.
• Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English. Working knowledge of French an advantage.
• Knowledge and experience with the use of statistical software such as SAS, R, Stata and/or SPSS
• Proficiency in Excel and other Microsoft Office applications.
• Knowledge of SQL or relational databases more generally could be an advantage but is not essential. Knowledge of ODK, KoBo or other mobile data collection tools could be an asset LANGUAGE SKILLS
• Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English; working knowledge of French and/or Page 2 / 4Spanish is desirable;
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others • Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; Other:
4.1 Applicants to the IOM internship programme must, at the time of application, meet one of the following requirements:
a) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); or
b) Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or
c) Have graduated with a university degree (as defined in 4.1(a) or (b) above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within one year of graduation.
4.2 All applicants must be between 20 and 36 years of age.
4.3 Applicants should have a working knowledge (both oral and written) of at least one of IOM’s official languages (English, French or Spanish).
• The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
• Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment or visa requirements and security clearances.
• No late applications will be accepted
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 29 August 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Page 3 / 4Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 16.08.2018 to 29.08.2018
Requisition: INT 2018/24 - Intern (Data Science) - Geneva, Switzerland (55616991) Released Posting: Posting NC55616992 (55616992) Released
Page 4 / 4