Programme Assistant (Information Management) - SC5
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Starting Date: 23/08/2018
Closing Date: 06/09/2018
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their shattered lives. Present in nearly 80 countries, the organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to nutritious food and contribute to the lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
These jobs are found in Regional Bureaux (RBs), Country Offices (COs), Area/Field Offices (AOs/FOs). The job holders typically report to a Programme Policy Officer or the designate.
At this level, job holders are responsible for the completion of a range of specialized and/or standardized processes and activities requiring some interpretation of standard guidelines and practices. Job holders are able to recommend a course of action to staff at various levels and may allocate tasks to other support staff. They work under minimum supervision, perform basic analyses and compile reports to support information consistency and smooth implementation of programmes/projects.
To perform specialized and/or standardized policy and programme-related processes and activities to support the effective delivery of assistance packages.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Perform specialized and/or standardised processes and activities within the specific technical area of work supporting alignment with wider programme policies and guidelines.
2. Provide project management and/or general office support following established targets and WFP’s policies and procedures.
3. Within the specific area of responsibility, compile data and support analysis and preparation of reports (e.g. food assistance needs, resource utilization, programme status, performance) in order to support operational decision-making.
4. Perform accurate, timely recording of data within the specific technical area of work (e.g. food security and vulnerability assessments) following corporate standards and guidelines.
5. Work and exchange information with internal counterparts to support effective collaboration, implementation and monitoring of ongoing project activities.
6. Support communication and activities with local partners, agencies, NGOs and government institutions.
7. Act as a point of contact for resolution of general operational queries requesting assistance where necessary.
8. Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond and deploy needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
Reporting to the National Officer for Information Management (and with the Head of VAM as his/her second-level supervisor), the Programme Assistant will be supporting the analysis of food and nutrition security, covering the following functions and tasks:
- Create data entry tools, using MS-Access, Excel or GRASP for all types of assessments.
- Organize data entry work and supervise data entry clerks. Ensure that data quality is maintained during data entry. (Properly sort and file completed questionnaires by cluster so that they can easily be identified.)
- Train field staff in preparation for data collection.
- Monitor movement of tablets and paper questionnaires between CO and AOs and SOs in collaboration with ICT/Admin units.
- Participate actively and contribute in the review, cleaning and analysis of data.
- Independently respond to information needs by extracting output tables using SPSS software.
- Assist in information dissemination by creating easy-to-use tools that clients can interact with independently.
- Participate in food security assessments.
- Perform any other duties
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A first university degree in Statistics, Computer science, Economics or other field relevant to information management is desirable.
Experience: At least 4 years of progressive working experience, of which at least two years experience in primary data collection, conducting quantitative data analysis, presentation of results and other related information management functions.
The incumbent should have sufficient technical information management skills to efficiently and professionally manipulate data, information and databases in MS-ACCESS and MS-EXCEL.
Language: Fluency (level C) and good writing skills in English language and Arabic.
Technical written test will be conducted to assess the SPSS,MS-ACCESS and MS-EXCEL knowledge.
¬EXPECTED RESULTS AND CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS
With a degree of independence, the incumbent will provide well-prepared analytical work, follow-up and implement his/her work plan, meet deadlines, keep organized records of produced work, build positive relationships with all clients, remain flexible and aligned with unit priorities, contribute to a positive working environment and social wellbeing of all staff, work constructively in teams and with flexibility to take on additional work, and ability to deal tactfully with people of different backgrounds.
The incumbent should be willing to travel extensively to remote areas for extended periods, also with difficult and uncomfortable living conditions.
The incumbent should be able to successfully manage all steps of the information creation flow, from data entry to analysis outputs, including the management of a large group of data entry clerks.
The incumbent should be able to quickly understand information needs of clients and create analysis outputs to match.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance||Can facilitate implementation of food assistance programmes under guidance using basic understanding of principles and good practices of programme design, implementation and monitoring.|
|Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Vouchers)||Demonstrates ability to facilitate, under guidance, food assistance programme implementation that deploys full range of transfer modalities with an understanding of basic principles guiding modality selection and implementation.|
|Knowledge of Specialized Areas||Understands basic technical concepts and data andtheir relevance to food assistance programmes.|
|Emergency Programming||Displays capacity to provide inputs into the development, implementation and realignment of high quality emergency programmes.|
|Strategic Policy Engagement w/Govt||Understands and applies basic principles of engagement with government counterparts at the national or local level.|
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
This vacancy is open to qualified Sudanese Nationals Only.
WFP is the United Nations frontline agency in the fight against global hunger. In the pursuit of WFP’s mission to feed the hungry poor, WFP employees must uphold the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct at all times. WFP has zero tolerance for fruad & corruption, sexual exploitation and discrimination.
Applicants are required to create their personal account and fill in the profile form with his/her personal details in WFP Career Web-Site through the links provided below.
Applicants must ensure filling the mandatory sections, attaching the CV, answer the pre-screening questions and agree on legal statement prior to submitting the application.
External applicants - Interested external applicants can apply on WFP Career Site: http://www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings
Internal Applicants - Intereseted internal applicants can apply through the E-Recruitment tool: Learning Management System: www.newgo.wfp.org
Applicants may apply using LinkedIn profile (if available).
WFP will apply a rigorous and transparent selection process including thorough assessment of technical skills to ensure the best candidates are selected for the job. Please ensure that your application contains accurate and complete information on academic qualifications, employment record and language skills.
The United Nations' greatest asset is the quality of its staff. To ensure that the very best people join the UN team we use a competency based interview process.
WFP is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce. WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
Female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.