Consultant – Communication expert
The Western Balkan (WB) region is facing complex set of similar development challenges. Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH), the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Kosovo*, Montenegro, and Serbia, invest significant efforts to mainstream the EU accession agenda within their socio-political contexts. An integral part of the EU accession agenda is to promote the inclusion of civil society and further development of participatory democracies in the region. All the WB countries/territories face challenges, specifically related to the lack of collaboration between the government and civil society.
The EU-funded Regional Programme on Local Democracy in the Western Balkans (ReLOaD) aims to strengthen partnerships between local governments and civil society by scaling-up a successful model of transparent and project-based funding of CSOs.
To secure that outputs and results of project are disseminated in an effective way, “ReLOaD communication and visibility strategy 2017-2020” is in place and aims to provide strategic guidelines to address communications challenges and support to the ReLOaD team in management of relationship with strategic publics. The Strategy includes Communication and visibility plan which included inputs from the Directorate-General for Neighbourhood and Enlargement Negotiations (DG NEAR), European Delegations from the Western Balkans countries/territories and communications experts in UNDP Country Offices (CO) in six WB countries/territories. ReLOaD’s Communication and Visibility Strategy 2017 - 2020, is in line with the Joint Visibility Guidelines for EC-UN Actions in the Field and the Communication and Visibility Manual for EU External Actions. This Strategy will be basis for communicating project objectives and results.
Based on this Strategy, ReLOaD office in Albania prepared ReLOaD Communications and Visibility Plan for Albania 2018-2020. It addresses the specific communication, dissemination and knowledge management activities of the project. Implementation of this Strategy and recognition of proper communication tools for information sharing within partner municipalities and civil society will allow civil society organizations to present their work and accomplishments in ReLOaD partner municipalities, civil society and wider.
 This designation is without prejudice to positions on status and is in line with UNSCR 1244/1999 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence.
The consultant will support civil society organisations selected to implement 30 projects under First public call for civil society organisations in Albania, in 12 partner municipalities, namely: Shkodra, Lezha, Korça, Përmet, Durrës, Librazhd, Tirana, Roskovec, Tropoja, Dibër, Prrenjas and Elbasan to produce communication and advocacy materials to be used for improvement of partnership between LG and CSO by empowering municipalities to introduce more transparent funding approach to CSO and underline results/impact of the CSO projects being implemented.
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of work
Under the overall supervision of the ReLOaD Project Manager for Albania and incooperation with UNDP-Albania Communications and Advocacy Office, the qualified consultant is responsible for supporting civil society organisations working in 12 partner municipalities to communicate results of their awarded projects through different communication tools, such as throughdevelopment of stories highlightingproject results/impact,blogs, production of around 1.5 min video stories and capturing project results through photos and similar, in line with the ReLOaD Communications and Visibility Plan for Albania 2018-2020.
More specifically the consultant is responsible for:
1. Provide advices to civil society organisations for implementation of Guideline for communication and visibility for CSOs. The consultant is expected to support civil society organisations working in 12 partner municipalities in preparation of visibility documents as foreseen in their activity plan. All these documents must be in line with communication and visibility documents of ReLOaD programme. Organize communications training sessions with the aim of strengthening their capacities to communicate project results.
To perform this task the consultant must review documents related with communication and visibility issues for ReLOaD programme, such as: ReLOaD communication and visibility 2017-2020 and it Action plan, ReLOaD Communications and Visibility Plan for Albania 2018-2020, Guideline for communication and visibility for civil society organisations and other strategic documents related with the programme, including: Description of Action, Methodology for allocation of public funds to civil society organisations, project proposals, activity plan etc…
For this task, the consultant is expected to work 5 days
2. Preparation and submission of at least 4 video diaries/short stories featuring project beneficiaries highlighting project results. Videos will be realised with real beneficiaries of the projects in at least 6 partner municipalities. The beneficiaries will be selected in close collaboration with ReLOaD staff and the consultant is responsible for recording and submission of these videos/short stories. They will be used to encourage partnership between local governments and civil society organisations aiming to offer better services to citizens living in these municipalities, but not only. They will be property and entitled to copyright of UNDP and will be published by UNDP and other partners. These materials are mostly for social media consumptions.
For this task, the consultant is expected to work 10 days
Under this assignment the consultant is expected to arrange by herself/himself, travels in 12 partner municipalities, namely: Shkodra, Lezha, Korça, Përmet, Durrës, Librazhd, Tirana, Roskovec, Tropoja, Dibër, Prrenjas and Elbasan.
Deliverables and timelines
The consultant is responsible for the following deliverables:
a. Corporate Responsibility and Teamwork:
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Plans, prioritizes and delivers tasks on time;
- Strives for and promotes excellence in performance continually;
- Participates effectively in a team-based, information-sharing environment, collaborating and cooperating with others;
- Generates ideas and seizes opportunities to support corporate strategic objectives.
b. People Skills:
- Demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with persons of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Recognizes and responds appropriately to the ideas, interests, and concerns of others;
- Builds trust and engenders morale by displaying open, transparent and credible behaviour;
- Respects individual/cultural differences; utilizes diversity to foster teamwork;
- Ensures others’ understanding of, involvement in, and adaptation to a change process.
c. Partnering and Networking:
- Communicates sensitively and effectively across different constituencies;
- Ability to work as a member of a team as well as work autonomously.
- Plans and ensures quality results to meet established goals.
- Formulates written information clearly and persuasively;
- Shares information openly with co-workers and partners while using discretion to protect confidences;
- Presents information in a clear and articulate manner.
f. Job Knowledge and Expertise:
- Strong analytical skills;
- Advanced writing skills,
- Proven skills in conducting researches, interviews, and reporting,
- Conceptual and practical knowledge of policy development, with specific focus on public budgets,
- Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies,
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations regarding civil society sector,
- Executes day-to-day tasks systematically and efficiently,
- Initiative and sound judgment.
Required Skills and Experience
- Education degree in media and/or communications or related fields.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in similar assignments.
- At least 3 years of experience in developing communication materials.targeting a variety of audiences
- Experience of producing video diaries and documentaries of social nature..
- Ability to work in a pressured environment with strict deadlines;
- Previous experience/familiarity with UNDP and / or other UN agencies particularly in EU-Funded projects is an asset.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Albanian.
UNDP applies a fair and transparent selection process that would take into account both the technical qualification of Individual Consultants as well as their financial proposals. The contract will be awarded to the candidate whose offer:
- Is deemed technically responsive / compliant / acceptable (only technically responsive applications / candidates will be considered for the financial evaluation)
- And has obtained the highest combined technical and financial scores.
Technical Criteria - 70% of total evaluation – max points: 70
Criteria A: Minimum of 5 years of professional experience. At least 3 years of experience in developing communication tools/materials. Experience of designing video diaries and social documentaries - – max points: 50
Criteria B: Educational background– max points: 20
Financial Criteria - 30% of total evaluation – max points: 30
Interested applicants are advised to carefully study all sections of this ToRs and ensure that they meet the general requirements as well as specific qualifications described. . Please make sure you have provided all requested documents.
The application should contain:
- Cover letter explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for the advertised position. Please paste the letter into the "Resume and Motivation" section of the electronic application.
- Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability-please fill in the attached form... www.un.org.al/sites/default/files/IC_Offerors%20Letter%20to%20UNDP%20Confirming%20Interest%20and%20Availability.docx
- Latest personal CV, including past experience from similar projects
- Financial Proposal that indicates the all-inclusive fixed total contract price and all other travel related costs (such as flight ticket, per diem, etc), supported by a breakdown of costs, as per template attached to the Letter of Confirmation of Interest template. http://www.un.org.al/doc/Financial%20Offer%20template.doc
- Proof of academic qualifications and copy of Passport.
How to Submit the Application:
To submit your application online, please follow the steps below:
- Download and complete the UN Personal History Form (P11) ;
- Merge your latest personal CV , Financial Proposal ,Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability and cover letter into a single file. The system does not allow for more than one attachment to be uploaded;
- Click on the Job Title (job vacancy announcement);
- Click “Apply Now” button, fill in necessary information on the first page, and then click “Submit Application;”
- Upload your application/single file as indicated above with the merged documents (underlined above);
- You will receive an automatic response to your email confirming receipt of your application by the system.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Due to a large number of applications we receive, we are able to inform only the successful candidates about the outcome or status of the selection process.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Tirana (Albania)
- Grade: National Consultant - Locally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Communication and Public Information
- Closing Date: 2018-09-28